Got a Mac Book Pro

Good info, I am even more interested now
SHOCKED.gif

(sfbusa @ Dec. 20 2006,10:42) Wag..
if you dig deep into OS X , it has tons of keyboard commands, much faster then a PC.

Go to the Apple site and it has OS X user training its great.
That's fine up to the part where "Eventually, it started having problems and the Mac tech support really sucked too."

Whenever I buy any computer, my #1 priority in evaluating it is, "How's the tech support?"

Several phone calls later, it was apparent that Apple is (or was) lacking in that department.

--Wag--

Hi Guys,

Just an update.  The cost was $1400 at MacConnection.com.  Great deal for a 15" MacBook Pro.  Very fast Duo Core machine with 1GB Ram, 100GB HDD, 256MB VidRam, and all the trimmings.  I ordered a wireless bluetooth mouse - awesome!  Didn't think I'd like it - but I love it. For $26 extra - it was at my door in 2 days. Mac Connection.com was awesome.

What I really like about this OS is the Linux functionality.  I used a lot of AIX, Linux, and Solaris over the years in my job and love the key strokes.  This basically has the same for the GUI.  If you're worried about 'having' to use the mouse for everything - so far, it's no worse than XP.  And really - this new apple wireless I have is the best mouse I've ever used - hands down.

I can't believe how well Adobe works out of web email. In XP it took forever to get Adobe apps to open - even just to read a pdf.  (It slowed over time for some reason.)  

The overall functionality is awesome.  I can do everything I need for business.  EMAIL, presentations, spreadsheets, calender, collaboration, drawing (Visio), etc.  I manage a software test team and if I had to use XP for something - I could use 'Paralells' - the VMWare like program to load a virtual Windows machine on this.  And it runs at 80% speed - so not too shabby.  I used it on an iMac - couldn't believe how incredibly fast XP was.  Way better than stupid VMWare. (which I use daily.)  

Quality?  Top notch over any machine I've purchased.  The footprint of the machine - unbelievable.  It is a way better keyboard (lit keyboard too) and over all feel from my Dell.  I've been a Dell, HP, Compaq, IBM user for 18 years - and this MacBook - spanks everyone I have used.  

Chatting - Windows Live Messenger on XP - spanks anything I've seen on Mac.  This is my only complaint thus far.  I'm still looking at Chat apps - like AIM, MSN, iChat, Adium.  I'll provide info on this later.

Apps - still learning how to really use Excel efficiently on the Mac.  I can smoke on SS's in XP but this is a bit different and has different shortcut keystrokes for things.  I used F2 a ton in editing cells on XP.  I don't know what the equivalent is on Mac yet.  I'll update later on MS Office for Mac.

Email - love it.  I came from Outlook.  although I haven't found a really great way to migrate my Outlook emails over easily, Entourage rocks in my opinion.  Couple of nuances - but nothing bad.  Microsoft has never been perfect on their apps.  But definitely easy.

Safari rocks.  The layout of the Mac desktop rocks.  Has many fantastic things that XP doesn't.  (You'll see that MS has copied some cool features and put them into Vista - MS's new Windows release.)

Omnigraffle = Visio.  Have it but haven't tried it yet.  

Fetch for FTP - nice GUI and works great.

Downloaded a freeware app called Smallimage2. This is sizing jpg files.  Very useful for anyone taking high res digital pics and wanting to post or send them out over email.

Linux-based.  Lightweight.  Impeccible layout.  Responsive and reliable.  Score.  I give this a 9 out of 10.  Definitely - a good purchase.  Highly recommend this model. 

And Photo Booth is a hoot!  I tried to attach a 20kb image from the Mac - but it never shows up on my post...  ??  any thoughts here?

enjoy
smile.gif

Rocketman, if you can, could you post some screenshots of the desktop? I was also looking at the 15" Pro. Wife has a 17" Dell, so I dont need another big widescreen. Also, would a flat screen monitor hook up to this, its a normal PC Monitor Connection. Thanks.

Hi Cat. Check out this link. Basically - this is what it looks like in Silver.

MacBook Pro link

This new one just has the Core 2 Duo instead of the Core Duo like mine. These (mine too) have a HDVI out and come with a connector to a monitor. So you would just have to purchase the HDVI cable and connect up to a flat panel plasma or LCD for TV/DVD. Otherwise, the connector will connecto you to any 15 pin monitor connection.

Hope that helps. I'd love to get some pics posted - but the forum isn't accepting my uploads for some reason.

MyPicture_small.jpg

What the!! It uploaded my distored pic from the Photo Booth!! HA!! Ok - I'll get some pics for you and upload.

(I was laughing so hard at this self portrait I couldn't stand up. There are about 8 different distortion selections that totally whack out the pic like this one... )

call me when MAC starts playing REALLY GOOD games
smile.gif
until then, PC for me
screen_1.jpg

I have a question, I'm a new Mac user but it will not let me upload pictures of my bike to the form.

Can anyone help.:please: I've been trying to add stuff to my profile but it won't even give me the option to choose the files I want to load.:banghead:

Been trying since I joined the site but it's been whooping my :spank: and I know it's something simple but I'm tired of getting :owned: owned by my own CPU! So if any of you Supermen :superman: or Women :please: can help a :afro: out I would be most grateful! Besides I have to show you guys what the fastest color really looks like!

Thanks in advance Superwoman/Wonder Woman/ Cat Woman (ME OWww!):batman:

I have a question, I'm a new Mac user but it will not let me upload pictures of my bike to the form.

Can anyone help.:please: I've been trying to add stuff to my profile but it won't even give me the option to choose the files I want to load.:banghead:

Been trying since I joined the site but it's been whooping my :spank: and I know it's something simple but I'm tired of getting :owned: owned by my own CPU! So if any of you Supermen :superman: or Women :please: can help a :afro: out I would be most grateful! Besides I have to show you guys what the fastest color really looks like!

Thanks in advance Superwoman/Wonder Woman/ Cat Woman (ME OWww!):batman:

I dont understand your issue? It is as simple as just finding the file when you clip upload? Uploading pictures is no different than windows, you have to browse for the files and choose them

I work in the IT field and started to read the original post and stopped at "my new Dell D810". Knowing full well this is an old PC, I went up to the date and sure enough it is 2006. Strange start to the morning.

Russell is right on uploading pictures, you must be missing something.

I have had my Mac Pro now for about 90 days. I have had zero complaints and it just works. I do have Office for Mac 2011 and that is where I spend 85% of my time on a computer.

I got them both and I love them both, it's like having a busa and a zx14 in the garage. Yeah one is crappie but you still ride it....... :laugh: Waiting for Windows 8

I didn't say which one was crappie, I just couldn't resist throwing a wrench in this Mac love fest

A MAC vs. a PC is like comparing a Busa to a old scooter. will NEVER go back to a Windows platform. A MAC is just light years ahead of that POS Windows crap that gave me nothing but problems year after year. have had my MAC for well over a year now and not one single issue.

Back