GOOD LEO Experiences

busastrom

Registered
I see a lot of threads about people running into problems with police so I thought I would throw something up here. Let me preface this with this...I know the "hand wave" between bikers has been argued. None the less!
Over the last week, I have found myself almost shocked at something a couple of motorcycle cops have done.

While a cop had someone pulled over and writing out their ticket, I was rolling by. I have an alien exhaust so they hear you comming. He stops, looks up and waves at me. Kind of took me by surprise. And then today, while I was comming up to a cop with his radar, he lowers it, waves and brings it back up and keeps scouting for speeders.

Now I know some may not thing this is significant but I find it great that this "fellowship" between bikers extends to the LEOs as well (at least motorcycle cops). Think it also helps with community support as well.

Ok, 'null rambling.
Back to "working."

beerchug.gif
nice to see, but I guess you were not speeding very much, if at all. May have been a few of the LEO's from the Eureka Springs MnG passing the word. If you are not doing something stupid on the road they will notice that and wave

They were waving at you hoping you would wave back so they could pull you over for wreckless driving (only haveing one hand on the handle bars).

Just kidding..... sort off..  
smile.gif

I was on a long ride one day on the freeway and I had my left hand on my hip, just stretching, getting a differant position.

I had this LA motorcycle LEO come up on me, I saw him in my sideview splitting traffic and moving up.

he got up next to me and paced me, looked at me and gestered to me to place both hands on the handle bars. At first I was kind of caught off gaurd and didnt know what he want so I waved to him lol..

he then gesterured a second time in a manner that made the light bulb come on, I gave him a thumbs up, placed both hands on the handle bar and he went on his way..

I am thinking both of those officers you ran across are probably riders

wish the MC cops aroud here did that.... the one I passed the other day kept the gun on me till I was out of sight!

In about 40 years of riding, I've encountered this with LEOs'; some are cool and some are pr*cks but all are doing their job so it just depends on the LEO.

I was on I-4 going south down orlando and I happily moving along until I saw a Fhp standing next to his harley with a laser I slowed down but it was to late. So after getting pulled over first thing he said was thanks for stopping. Then he showed me the laser seems I thought that all of I4 is 65 mph, but actually turns 55 through orlando so when I thought I was doing about 11 over it was actually 21. So after some chichat he gave me a ticket for 9 over. So not all cops in fl are rabid monsters like I've experienced before. So just wanted to share that experience, and wisdom gained. Not all cops are sportbike hating devils.........just most lol.

I got pulled over for doing 79 in a 55. I had all my blue neons on and the first thing the cop said to me was "damn that bike is sick". We sat there talking for a little, he has a gsxr 1000. He just read my name and plates and gave me a verbal warning. Told me to slow down a little, said i wasnt going that fast that its just all the people in cars that dont look for bikers. Then he was sititng there and asked "unofficialy how fast have you got the bike going" so i told him and he just shook his head and said have a nice night......
laugh.gif

So there are some cool cops he is just the only cool one around here. I just got pulled over yesterday for tint on my car windows and tinted tailights... $360 later.... PRICK!
guns.gif

I've had LEOs (in cars) wave when I'm on the bike a few times. If I see them in time I always wave back, not against the law to take a hand off the bars in MO.

Officer O'Conor of the California Highway Patrol is kickass! Lamb, devil dog and another friend were on the secret high desert top speed testing facility when something seemed amiss up ahead on the left hand side of the road. Immediate brakes! and as Lamb zipped by him 10 seconds later still going 90 or so, thinking..........OH $$$$hit! It's jail time.................damnit! Officer O'Conor is the greatest! He pulled us all over and gave us the prerequisite safety speech about motorcycle size compared to cars....blah, blah, blah! Only this time we were all sitting at stiff attention. To make a long story short, he let us go. Still can't believe it to this day. That could have been the luickiest day in Lambs life. Since then, the racetrack has been discovered and the secret high desert top speed testing facility has been retired. FOREVER............lesson learned.

I have actually had two great experiences with police that may have saved my life. I was riding at night on a 4 lane highway with frequent stoplights. The blue lights come on and I pull over. Figure I was speeding. Officer comes up and says do you know your tail light is out. I had turned the ignition off and when I turned it on the light was on. Anyway the officer offered to follow me to my turn so I wouldn't get rearended. I went home checked the wiring and tightend some connections. Jump ahead 3 months same thing basically happens. Officer helped me get back. Ultimately, I found a problem linked to RPMs (over 3k light would go out), but would never have found out if police had not pulled me twice and then helped.

I always waive, nod or salute to LEO when riding past or sitting at stop lights. They seem to take it as a sign of recognition and appreciation because they feel that almost all sport bike riders hate their guts. A little sign of respect goes along way with LEO. It can be the difference between a ticket/arrest or a simple warning.

I was riding to work on I 95 Wednesday morning when I all oa sudden saw a Trooper creeping up on my left, I held steady(doing about 80) he came up slow, looked over and I waved at him, he then gave me a thumbs up and rolled away doing about 90, some of the MSP are cool, oneof the guys in our club is MSP and one hell of a sweep on rides so as far as knowing good ones hats off to Maryland State Police TSC, Trooper Dwayne Hill AKA-Lycan 6
bowdown.gif

thumb_up.gif

I wave or nod when I see LEOs. Yes, they are the bad ones. There are good ones too. Most know that they are doing their job and are level headed. THere are a few that.... nevermind. It's been covered before.

Still don't have an answer to the "Do you know why I pulled you over?" question
rock.gif

We have a lot of motorcycle officers in Austin. I always wave to every officer. If nothing else, they look up at me waving & not their radar gun.

Back