GM techs, Transmission question, anybody?

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
On my 93 K2500 4x4 automatic, the servo cover blew out, the case appears to be fine. I was able to use a pry bar and screw driver and put the cover back in and even got the o-ring back in there. but it is leaking now. I used a nylon ratchet strap around the tranny to keep the cover from blowing out again but need to know if there is an actual repair for this without having to buy a new or rebuilt trans...

I am told its a common problem but the case usually breaks and you wind up needing a tranny.

Any thoughts?

Grump

If the case isn't cracked and the servo is ok, then you just need to get a new seal. I'm assuming you have the 4L60E trans. (is it an HD truck or not?) If it's the 4L60 then you should be able to just replace the seal. If you have any shifting issues with 2nd or 4th, then you have servo or band issues. If it's still shifting fine and the case isn't cracked, get a new seal and you should be fine. What were you doing when it popped out?

Plowing in 4 low, got the blade stuck over the top of a 6' pile of packed stuff. Put it into 4 low and hammered that snots out of it. She broke free after 10 minutes of back and fourth. It bled out on flat ground about 10 mins later in 4 high at about 20mph.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gotcha. Sounds exciting! Well, as I said before, as long as the case isn't cracked you should be ok. I'll call a guy I use to work with that was our trans tech. I know he's seen a lot of trucks come in with this same issue. He'll know better than I about what exactly to look for and the most common issues when that happens.

Back