Expedition transmission issue.. anyone work on them?

rpm9001

Donating Member
Registered
I just picked up a clean 98 Ford Expedition for next to nothing, But it comes with a bad tranny. reverse works great but no forward gears. The last owner had the tranny replaced 10k miles ago at a ford dealer with a New transmission but like I said... now there is no forward gears. 4.6 triton auto 4x4

Just wondering if maybe it could be electrical? os something simple I can check? I sure it is a major problem, but thought I would toss it out here.

Thanks for any onfo!!

Geo

Smell the trans fluid. If it smells burnt, its the forward clutch. If no smell, it is a torn up low roller on way clutch (like the big starter sprocket that spins one way [on that roller] to start the engine on the bike).

What he said. Most likely either the forward clutch pack or the sprag. Will it move forward in manual low? I'm not meaning 4 wheel drive, I'm talkin about pullin the shifter all the way down to the last selectable gear. (P R N D 3 2 1) Will it move if you put it in 1? (or 2 if it doesn't have a 1)

If it were an electrical issue chances are you'd still be able to drive, you just wouldn't have all the gears, and it would probably start in something other than 1st.

I'm also curious what in the world the previous owner did to it to destroy it in 10k miles. . . Are we sure it was a NEW ford trans. and not a junk yard trans.?

it will not move in any position accept reverse. This was owned by a friend, and I have a reciept for $3500 for the replacement so I have to asume it was new. I don't have it here yet, I will get it Saturday . I will go through it then and post what I find.

For $500 for a clean expedition I could
Not pass it up... Even with the trans
Thanks for the replys!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I bet that tranny has a one year 12,000 mile warrenty on it...and you are the proud owner of the receipt right?

clutches are gone bro.

Yes I have the reciept. But it has been over a year and it was out of state. Looks like it just have to be replaced. 8
I was just hoping that it may be something that could be fixed. I will not have it here till the weekend.

George
Posted via Mobile Device

ok.. I got it home. Does run normal in reverse but nothing in any forward gears. If I put it in drive the rpm will raise, but does nothing. I also did confirm the tranny was replaced by ford 10k miles ago but it was 2years ago. I did notice the indicator is the wrong position, when in park it shows "n". I don't know what trans is in it but the original window sticker says 4speed OD automatic controltrac shift on the fly 4x4 system.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back