GM Mechanic needed

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering if anyone could help me out.
On the wife's 02 trailblazer LS, the odometer and gear select vfd screens are not displaying.
All gauges are working, all idiot lights are on, just not the two vfd screens.
The dim switch does dim the radio and such.
Do we have to replace the cluster? If so what mileage will be displayed? The actual miles of the truck or the miles of the replacement cluster?
There is one on ebay now that is within 2K miles of the actual miles.
If we get the replacement will the "new" used one need to be programmed by a dealer or should it work just by hooking it up?

Or is there a fusible link behind the cluster? I checked #22 and 24 underhood fuses and they appear good.
Thanks.

You'll need to get it programmed to your vehicle. The mileage can be programmed, too. They'll check it and if it has an engine hour meter they'll check that too before the old one is removed. As for the ebay one, I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. I've never done that before. I've always ordered it from the parts department. You'll definitely want to email the seller and get the part number and call the dealer with your vin and make sure it's the right part number. They do make different ones that physically look identical.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, and yes, that does sound like a cluster issue. If the dimmer switch isn't turned down the odometer and such should be visible. But if you don't know the mileage and they can't see it, then all they can do is guess as to what it's supposed to be and program it with that number.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dimmer switch isn't turned down; that's the first thing I checked.
I know the approximate mileage from the last time I changed the oil in it.
So if the one from ebay is compatible with it, then it should just plug and play and need no programing from the dealer?
I can get the one from ebay for 100 where a new one looking on forums goes for around 700 and still needs to be programed.
The ebay one is around 1K miles over what it originally is.

Also, one tidbit of info that I forgot, I just changed the battery 1 week before this happened. The old one gave out with no warning, but was checked since it was under warranty and the battery was bad and got a free replacement.

If you're ok with the mileage difference then you might be able to do a plug and play. It's worth a shot anyway. But it's possible it'll still need programming to get your vehicle to recognize it. I'm not 100% sure simply cause I've never tried that. Like I said I've always gotten new ones, installed them, and programmed them. But you also might want to check with the dealer on the price. We were doing some either under warranty or what's called "good will" where they discount things that they know happen extremely frequently. So you might get lucky and be able to get one at a decent price from the dealer. Otherwise I'd say grab the ebay one and see what happens. If the part # is the same you might be able to get away with it without a program, but like I say, I don't know that for sure. The program should just be an hour labor.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you're ok with the mileage difference then you might be able to do a plug and play. It's worth a shot anyway. But it's possible it'll still need programming to get your vehicle to recognize it. I'm not 100% sure simply cause I've never tried that. Like I said I've always gotten new ones, installed them, and programmed them. But you also might want to check with the dealer on the price. We were doing some either under warranty or what's called "good will" where they discount things that they know happen extremely frequently. So you might get lucky and be able to get one at a decent price from the dealer. Otherwise I'd say grab the ebay one and see what happens. If the part # is the same you might be able to get away with it without a program, but like I say, I don't know that for sure. The program should just be an hour labor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the replies.
I'll have the wife call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say and check on prices.
Also while searching I found this recall and don't know if implies to what's happening or not.
I'll see if they'll run the VIN and check for open recalls.

Nature of Defect:
8. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING:INTERIOR/UNDER DASH
Recall Number: 03V096000
Dates Manufactured: Oct 2000 to Mar 2003
Number of Vehicles Affected: 314300
Date Owners Notified On: N/A
Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

Defect Description:
CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS NO. 101, CONTROL LOCATION, IDENTIFICATION, AND ILLUMINATION AND NO. 208, OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION. THESE VEHICLES HAVE AN INTERMITTENT CONDITION DURING VEHICLE START-UP IN WHICH THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER MAY NOT PROPERLY POWER UP, RESULTING IN MOST OF THE DISPLAYS, TELLTALE LIGHTS, AND FUNCTIONS (EXCEPT THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT, TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS, AND THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER BACKLIGHTING) BEING INOPERATIVE.

Consequence of Defect:
THESE VEHICLES DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE STANDARD.

Corrective Action:
DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 29, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, GMC AT 1-800-462-8782, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.

That recall may apply. "control location identification" sounds like it's talking about the PRNDL. Hopefully it's that simple and you can get it done for free! But being from back in 2003 I kinda doubt it hasn't already been done if it does apply. Worth a shot for sure, though! Let me know what you find out.

That recall may apply. "control location identification" sounds like it's talking about the PRNDL. Hopefully it's that simple and you can get it done for free! But being from back in 2003 I kinda doubt it hasn't already been done if it does apply. Worth a shot for sure, though! Let me know what you find out.

Wife called Chevy and there are no open recalls on it.
They said we could take it to the local dealer and see if the recalled part failed again and they might replace it; but the dealer said they want $70 for 1 hour labor to just look at it.
I found some sites online that repair clusters and they claim to repair the problem, but they want 170 for that.
The used cluster with a little more miles then orig. is on ebay for 100.
Just have to decide what to do, because as always money is a factor, but making sure it works is just as important.
Thanks for all the replies.
They are appreciated greatly.

i just had a 08 trailblazer in the shop with same problem tuirned out it was a blown fuse i just dont remember if it was under the dash or the hood

i just had a 08 trailblazer in the shop with same problem tuirned out it was a blown fuse i just dont remember if it was under the dash or the hood

Wish you could remember the number.
On the 02 it's either under the rear seat or under hood.

just go and check them all i'm thinking it was under the seat but i wasn't the one working on it

Wish you could remember the number.
On the 02 it's either under the rear seat or under hood.

You can just pull the cover off the fuse panel and look at it. It'll have the abbreviation on it. If you want a more detailed description of what fuses do what, you should be able to find it in your owners manual. But very rarely do fuses blow for no particular reason. Every now and then you have a random amperage spike, but that's not typical. If the fuse is blown, you replace it, and it blows again then there's obviously another problem in the circuit.

Back