Gloves and Boots for drag racing.

they stole my reasons from the other thread.. :laugh: (sure glad I posted that before the article came out.. :) )

Sticky track never occurred to me on gloves...

Last edited:
I coudnt agree more, At cleason drag strip they dont even do tech. Ive seen guys out there in t shirts and no gloves:whistle: I wear a full set of nhra approved leathers,six gear boots and gloves, yea its hot as hell, but it peels off pretty quick. ROAD RASH DONT!:poke:

our track Welcome to Osceola Dragway is an ihra track, and they arent very good at checking safety gear at all, in fact a good friend of mine actually died at the track 2 years ago draging his cbr XX....he had a textile jacket, but it wasnt leather...he ran into a guard rail at only 30 mph, the guard rail sliced him wide open right through the jacket, spilling his inside's out right in front of the grand stands for all to see....I realized last year the same safety crew was doing the inspections, so I opted not to run last year at all

the ironic thing is they won the summit division 5 track of the year award last year:banghead:

Attachments

• Clipboard02.bmp
    407 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
I coudnt agree more, At cleason drag strip they dont even do tech. Ive seen guys out there in t shirts and no gloves:whistle: I wear a full set of nhra approved leathers,six gear boots and gloves, yea its hot as hell, but it peels off pretty quick. ROAD RASH DONT!:poke:
There are NHRA tracks that let guys get out there in tennis shoes and jeans.. Times are tough all over and every participant helps so the rules start to flex and bend.. (wont see it at a division or national event)

I would just walk up to the guys and ask them how much they valued their skin.. really, bottom line is "accept responsibility" for your own well being..

nice to see publications like this... could save some guys bacon down the road.. :)

That is a good read...I wish I could find the sidi boots somewhere

the sidi boots are no longer available unless you wear like a size 6:laugh:
only joe rocket for the moment i did a crazy search for them 2 days ago
and the price is not bad

I have the Joe Rocket boots. They are comfortable and lightweight, but I only got to wear them twice and only made 3 or 4 passes with them on. they were better than the steeltoe boots that I was wearing before though. I neever thought about the gloves coming apart because of the chemicals on the track. I have a 2 piece suit already but I plan on upgrading later this year. I guess I will look into getting some new gloves too. The MPS will have to do for now though.

Good article, and well written. Question I have is about gloves. I prefer to wear a short cuffed glove, I don't like the way the gauntlet style constrict my wrist when operating the clutch and throttle. What is the advantage to the longer style, all other components being equal? If the only downside is possible rash on my wrists should the sleeves of my leathers draw back in an accident, I'm willing to live with that.

Good article, and well written. Question I have is about gloves. I prefer to wear a short cuffed glove, I don't like the way the gauntlet style constrict my wrist when operating the clutch and throttle. What is the advantage to the longer style, all other components being equal? If the only downside is possible rash on my wrists should the sleeves of my leathers draw back in an accident, I'm willing to live with that.

First I would like to thank all of you for the kind words in relation to the article. I write regularly for Dragbike.com and there are many more on the site I have written over the past couple of years. I am a racer and I try to write from a racers standpoint, with some humor thrown in of course.

As for the short cuff gloves, they are not legal for the reason I mentioned in the article concerning the traction enhancing adhesives found on a dragstrip. With a non gauntlet type glove it will pull the whole glove completely off of your hand. The gauntlet style prevents this by not allowing the edge of the shorter glove just below the heel of your hand from peeling back and rolling off your hand.

While I understand everyone has a preference, for me when it comes to safety I learn how to adapt to the equipment if it is going to provide me protection.

Mine have a carbon fiber section over the wrist bone, trust me the hide grinds off that bone fast which is why I always wear the full glove.

First I would like to thank all of you for the kind words in relation to the article. I write regularly for Dragbike.com and there are many more on the site I have written over the past couple of years. I am a racer and I try to write from a racers standpoint, with some humor thrown in of course.

As for the short cuff gloves, they are not legal for the reason I mentioned in the article concerning the traction enhancing adhesives found on a dragstrip. With a non gauntlet type glove it will pull the whole glove completely off of your hand. The gauntlet style prevents this by not allowing the edge of the shorter glove just below the heel of your hand from peeling back and rolling off your hand.

While I understand everyone has a preference, for me when it comes to safety I learn how to adapt to the equipment if it is going to provide me protection.
I understood what you wrote about traction adhesives, I just don't see how a longer glove would prevent them being peeled off. I suppose that I will have to learn to ride in a longer glove....
Thanks for the reply.

Back