Gixxer tail conversion questions.

SS4Luck

Registered
I need to go longer and lower with my Gen 3 and my tail section isn’t going to let that happen. No one has converted a Gen 3 yet that I know of, so I turn to you Gen 2 guys.

What does the seat do to your riding position? Cruising it looks like it would be the same?

Anything to know and do or not do if I pull the trigger? I think I’d forgo most of the stock body paneling and go right to a full carbon tail

The gsxr tail on the gen2 used a custom seat, that was longer, and fit into the tank, as well as flush against it(the stock gsxr seat leaves a gap).
As someone who has ridden many gen1 and gen2, and gsxr's, I grew to hate my gen2's seat and tank position enough to get rid of it.
After sitting on the gen3, and loving it, I can say with certainty that Suzuki did indeed narrow the gen3 seat, and where it meets the tank, and the tank itself.
So that means that a gsxr tail, with a gen2 conversion seat will not fit flush into the gen3 tank.
You would be on your own extending the foam and cover on the gsxr seat pan.
I have however modified alot of seats over the years. So you could buy a china gsxr seat for $30(ebay or amazon), as well as a block of seat foam(available in several desintys), cut and shape it with an electric kitchen knife, buy some cover material, and steam and stretch it over the new seat(after you have the shape you want).
Of course this all hinges around the gen2 and gen3 having the same subframe mounting positions.
Supposedly it does, but I cannot confirm that.
All 3 gen frames are the same, but with small exceptions, after 01?? the center stand mounts where removed.
And the gen2 has 2 extra holes in it, but they are just for push pins to mount the fairings.
Otherwise, it should not be difficult to do.

I haven’t made it that far into seeing if for sure the sun frame mounting is the same.

I do have access to a good 3D scanner and printer and was thinking there may be a way to scan the K7 seat skeleton and the Gen 3 seat skeleton and then mash em up in a design software and print a new seat base to then cover in foam etc. I do think my Gen 3 is pretty comfy to ride, especially compared to my older Gen 2 and GSXRs I used to ride so that wa Amy main concern in losing going to a new tail/seat.

I haven’t made it that far into seeing if for sure the sun frame mounting is the same.

I do have access to a good 3D scanner and printer and was thinking there may be a way to scan the K7 seat skeleton and the Gen 3 seat skeleton and then mash em up in a design software and print a new seat base to then cover in foam etc. I do think my Gen 3 is pretty comfy to ride, especially compared to my older Gen 2 and GSXRs I used to ride so that wa Amy main concern in losing going to a new tail/seat.

If you can come up with a seat for a gen3 gsxr tail conversion, you will likely be the first.
You could make a few bucks off of 3D printing seat pans, or rivot on pan extensions too.
Go for it!

Back