Getting comfortable

qarnaj

Registered
I've been riding cruisers and standards for about 10 years now and finally decided to add a busa to the harem. I have to say, the performance is absolutely amazing!
smile.gif
One thing I'm not too pleased about, though, is the amount of weight on my hands and wrists. I can't ride for very long before they really start to hurt from the pressure.

Any tips and tricks for new riders? Is this something that could be alleviated with different gloves or a better riding position? Or, is it just one of those 'suck it up and wait for your body to get used to it' situations?

I was told the Heli bars and a different seat would help. I bought the Heli bars but I have not installed them yet. They change your riding possition so I hope it works. Alot of people on here have them and say they do so I guess I will see.

Handlebar risers and/or drop the rear.

OR

Ride really fast and the wind pressure will take the weight off.
smile.gif

I would try adjusting your riding position first. It's not quite the situp that the cruisers are. If that doesn't work, Genmar risers or Helibars with a lowered rear and Tobin seat may help.

First I would say, suck it up and ride more. If it still bothers you, change the bars or add risers.
wink.gif

Yeah ... I understand what you are going through! Went through the same pain when I first got the busa! I presume Helibar is the solution... I have not yet installed it on my busa... but have ordered for one. If you want I can give you a review once its installed next week or so
smile.gif

I've been riding cruisers and standards for about 10 years now and finally decided to add a busa to the harem. I have to say, the performance is absolutely amazing!
smile.gif
One thing I'm not too pleased about, though, is the amount of weight on my hands and wrists. I can't ride for very long before they really start to hurt from the pressure.

Any tips and tricks for new riders? Is this something that could be alleviated with different gloves or a better riding position? Or, is it just one of those 'suck it up and wait for your body to get used to it' situations?
I know what you mean first hand. I lowered mine 1" in the rear, put GenMar 1 1/4" risers on, and a Tobin seat, and ProTek footpegs, now it's a whole different bike. I never could get used to the factory riding postision.

smile.gif

I know what you mean first hand. I lowered mine 1" in the rear, put GenMar 1 1/4" risers on, and a Tobin seat, and ProTek footpegs, now it's a whole different bike. I never could get used to the factory riding postision.
Great minds think alike I guess!
laugh.gif
That's what I said.

put more effort into gripping the tank with your knees, this will cause you to place more weight on your butt instead of on your hands. Use your abs and your back to hold your weight where it belongs. I'm 6'2" and have no problems with weight on my hands/wrists.

put more effort into gripping the tank with your knees, this will cause you to place more weight on your butt instead of on your hands.  Use your abs and your back to hold your weight where it belongs.  I'm 6'2" and have no problems with weight on my hands/wrists.
I agree, I'd just ride it a while and see if you get used to it. I felt a little of the same when I got mine but now am totally comfortable on it with no changes.

Kevin

You have to learn to use alot of muscle from your midsection instead of placing the weight on your wrists. Also don't white knuckle the grips. I know it made a big difference on me. Congrats on the bike and welcome to the best Busa Board on the net. Lets see some pics of the bike:)

I agree with everyone that has posted so far. I'm 6'2" 265lbs. I had the same problem after 30 - 45 minutes it would go from un comfy to painful. Heli-Bars, Corbin and re-training MY habits fixed it all. I was not using my mid section either
smile.gif
now, all is good! the wind against the chest @ highway speed lets you relax your stomach muscles a bit
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tips! I know I haven't been gripping the tank with my knees much at all. I'll try that and see how things feel after using my stomach muscles to help. Now I just need this snow to stop so I can go practice!

Back