Getting a genII to handle better with a few mods?!

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
I enjoy my 08 hayabusa! But I am looking at making it a little better for the corners. Here is my thoughts....... I need a new back tire, was going to go back the the same Bt015. But add a +1 or +2 sprocket to shorten the wheels base some. Then add 1" in height to the rear by a adjustable dog bone or shim the stock shock. I wanted your thoughts on that on this. I weigh around 185 with gear. So I am good I believe in the springs being right for me. I would also get a speedo healer to correct the speedo too! Any other smart ideas you all can suggest?!

I think you should just get a smaller bike myself... you showoffs on the 08's humpff...

:) that was the smartest thing I had... :laugh:

fork springs and set the sag at both ends.

Ya can't shim the shock....

cheers
ken

Last edited:
1" rise in the back will give you a noticable change. The first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to get the suspension setup for you. I've setup peoples OE suspension as best as possible for them and they were in shock how different the bike handled.

After that then it's time to get things setup right with different fork springs, and a better rear shock/spring. If you plan on swapping wheels then it's best to do that before changing the suspension. I only say this because after a wheel swap you may need to change the suspension settings again.

Just change brands of tires and you would not believe the difference it will make. Stock Bridgestones are crap and will not turn in to save their lives. Put Michelins or Pirelli's on her she will fall over in the curves.

+2 on getting the suspension set for you...

I had mine done by a group of local racers, and I swear I am not even riding the same bike.

It is so different, that when the local dealer rode it, the whole 50' between where I parked, and his service bay, he came out and asked me what I had done to it.

It really does make that much difference, so before you waste alot of money on parts, there is alot to be done to the stock stuff to get where you want to be...

My bus changed so much on turn it, it is now so much sharper, I feel like I am on my buddies 750

Put a 190/55 rear tire on it, and get your suspension setup correctly for you. + 1 on the rear sprocket will counter the taller tire. Leave the sprockets alone and the tire will make the speedo more accurate.

Just change brands of tires and you would not believe the difference it will make. Stock Bridgestones are crap and will not turn in to save their lives. Put Michelins or Pirelli's on her she will fall over in the curves.
I disagree there's nothing wrong the stock tires, alot people just can't ride to bikes potential.

+2 on getting the suspension set for you...

I had mine done by a group of local racers, and I swear I am not even riding the same bike.

It is so different, that when the local dealer rode it, the whole 50' between where I parked, and his service bay, he came out and asked me what I had done to it.

It really does make that much difference, so before you waste alot of money on parts, there is alot to be done to the stock stuff to get where you want to be...

My bus changed so much on turn it, it is now so much sharper, I feel like I am on my buddies 750
Can you tell us what the settigs are please ?

The bikes sag is currently set up for me. I was looking for a little more out of her with out spending the big bucks yet on the suspension or replacingthe wheels. I know they make a dramatic affect on the bike. I have the 02 1k setup with ohlins and a great set of tires and cant agree more that its the bomb!!! I due need a rear tire, and figured a larger sprocket to shorten the wheel base some and raise n the rear would help! Again thanks for your thoughts!!!

Oh hi Randy :poke:!!!! And I do have a smaller bike!!! :race:

I disagree there's nothing wrong the stock tires, alot people just can't ride to bikes potential.

That was the problem, the bridgestones even when hot was just sliding all over the place when coming out of curves on the back tire, and you have to muscle it over in the turns. The O16's are a better tire but still not as good as the Michelins or Pirellis! :poke: And you do not want the rear sliding out when the pegs are scraping and your knee is on the ground. ???And some of us can ride way past the stock tire limits, thanks! But that is just my opinion!:whistle:

Can you tell us what the settigs are please ?

I'll scan in my settings tonight... Mind you I am 6'5 250#

We could not get all the tuning in on the stock stuff he wanted without rebuilding forks and such, but since its a street bike, he maxed it out with what he could

REALLY? :whistle:

Trail has much more to do with quick tip in than does the tire profile. Keep practicing on the brakes and you'll learn to keep the forks compressed through the tip in point which in turn shortens up the trail for quick tip in. You'll find yourself falling into the turns on michelin Pilot Roads. :laugh:

Practice, Practice, Practice! You'll catch on!

You beat me to it! People who say they can't ride the Bridgestone Stock Tires should capitalize the "CAN'T RIDE" phrase! :beerchug:

I have lots of laps on the BTO15 and for a street tire, found them to be an excellent tire that performed well.

If Bridgestone makes a bad tire, I've never been on it.

That was the problem, the bridgestones even when hot was just sliding all over the place when coming out of curves on the back tire, and you have to muscle it over in the turns. The O16's are a better tire but still not as good as the Michelins or Pirellis! :poke: And you do not want the rear sliding out when the pegs are scraping and your knee is on the ground. ???And some of us can ride way past the stock tire limits, thanks! But that is just my opinion!:whistle:

If what you say is true, either:

1. You're running all you BT's with too much pressure.
2. You don't like BT as a tire manufacturer.
3. You don't know what you're talking about.
4. You don't know how to really ride.

If the tires are "sliding all over the place when coming out of curves" get off the throttle a bit. You wasting power, fuel, and your rear tire with no results other than looking for a chance to high-side.

Run your tires a couple of pounds lower if you really going to push it. They will heat up and be soft and sticky. I spent two hours on a road race track (20 minutes each sessions) running BT015's @ 30 psi. They were super sticky. I never did get the tires hot enough to get greasy. I was riding to the edge of the tire on both sides. They were very impressive. The BT016's are even better. I run the BT016's @ 36 psi on the street. 32-34 psi if it's a chilly day.

If Michelin and Pirelli are so much better, why does Bridgestone supply all of the tires to MotoGP. I have ridden on both, and they are not as good as a properly inflated Bridgestone tire.

Back