GenII Radiator Cover and Under Steering Bracket Cover Removal

Mythos

Registered
Radiator Cover and Under Steering Bracket Cover Removal

The radiator cover, a wide wing-like plastic inner fairing seems to be designed to isolate the radiator heat from the air box and the engine compartment. However, it seems likely that it would also trap heat from the top engine and hold it directly under the air box. I feel the radiator cover was designed more with comfort in mind than performance. The radiator cover has a forward protruding stem on each side that the inner under cowling pieces hang on. It seems as though the pins are for positioning the inner under cowling. Both inner under cowling pieces are perfectly secure installed in the normal manner without having the radiator cover in place.

The under steering bracket cover is a shield designed to prevent debris from flying up past the triple tree and striking the rider. This part was obviously designed for safety however, I rode my usual 10,000 street and highway miles this season on my other bike which has this triple tree shield removed. I did not ever notice any objects flying up and striking me. During my rain rides, I did not notice water misting up off the road nor was there any issue with dust interfering with my comfort or collecting on the instrument cluster.

They may improve safety and comfort for street use but these two pieces are not necessary to have installed in order for the bike to operate. They have a combined weight of over one-half pound. Holding weight reduction as important as I do, I have chosen to remove these pieces from the bike just as i removed the rear fender.

This picture shows the horn mounting bracket being removed. You can see an edge of the under steering bracket cover in front of the horn. A portion of the radiator cover is visible behind the horn (surrounding the screw that is being removed).
hornmtblts.jpg

Remove the radiator or at least free the radiator from its mounts so that it mat be pulled or tilted forward. To do this, remove the bolts that secure the radiator (see steps 7-9 https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/169255-genii-how-remove-radiator-oil-cooler.html) and allow the radiator to be supported on its hoses.
2radoilclrmtgblts.jpg

1. The radiator cover attaches to a round bar that supports the frame laterally. The bar is located above the exhaust head pipes and directly in front of the engine head cover. The radiator cover, fastens to the bar with two flexible plastic clamps. Simply pull the radiator cover forward and off of the bar.
rmvradcover.jpg

2. The under steering bracket cover located above and in front of the horn is fastened to the bottom of the triple tree by two 10mm screws. The screws may be removed with a wrench or a phillips screwdriver.
undrstrgbrktcvrwt.jpg

radcoverwt.jpg

How does the bike feel at 150+?
I would think those two pieces were designed with slipstreaming in mind as they seal up the inside of the bike. Without them air is going to go everywhere and cause unwanted turbulence. You saved a half pound but Id think your bike is slower on the top end now no?

There is a reason that this part is there, it helps with the bikes cooling, but go ahead, and remove what you want, at top speeds, is when it is needed!

haven't been over 110 with bike since taking the stuff off. I imagine if there is any dif in top speed, that would be something that would only be noted after repeated runs with and without the covers. I can't tell any dif in air coming up at me so the turbulence would be pretty slight ....I'll let you know when I get this baby over 170. Be interesting to ask someone who does LSR if they leave the parts on or off. I'm betting they are off if they are even fitted to a race fairing at all.

The tech geeks of Suzuki's R&D department know a ton more than I ever will about aerodynamics when they designed the Busa vi-a-vis production costs/profits. Good luck with your quest to lighten the bike. :thumbsup:
P.S. I intend to lose 10 more pounds (in addition to the 40 that I have lost so far) so I can have more stamina/endurance when riding....and maybe live longer so I can ride more :thumbsup:

(Congrats on the weight reduction, Kromdom!! Lost 30 lbs off of me last year..)

I agree about the Suzuki experts but i'll wager non of them have tested a busa that does a 6 second quarter mile at 203 mph.

I figured the guy who has that bike ought to know so I asked him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:17 AM
To: Tech@schnitzracing.com
Subject: Ask A Question

I recently removed the under steering bracket cover and the radiator cover from my GenII Hayabusa as a weight reduction mod.

Removing the parts reduced the bike's weight by a half pound. Will having the parts off the bike impede aerodynamics or any other aspect of performance?

Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. Those are there to help direct air to the radiator, not to help with aerodynamics.

....so I imagine the radiator may be a tad less efficient with the covers off but at high speed, I doubt air flow to the radiator is a problem. Yes, the motor will get hotter running at high rpm but if the bike is moving fast, that improves the effect of heat dissipation all by itself. I still think the modest weight loss is a good trade off even if there might be a slight increase in operating temp. My busa is the coolest running bike I ever rode. If I notice it running hotter next summer I will post up about that here.

Back