Gen1 to Gen2 ECU

jumjum01

Registered
I am looking to do a gen1 to gen2 ecu conversion on my 2002 Hayabusa.
If anyone has done this, can you tell me if I am on the right track?! :-)

PartsI needed from GEN2?
- ECU
- Wiring harness
- RH bar controls
- Speedometer cluster
- GSXR/gen2 cam position sensor
- Airbox temp and vacuum map sensor

And i need to:
- Grind one tooth (the correct one) of the flywheel
- Reverse wires from crack sensor (green and blue wire)
- Disable STVP, secondary injectors

Questions:
- Do i need gen2 gear position sensor, or can I use gen1?
- Do i need Brocks cam pin re-locator for my stock gen1 cams?

@jumjum01

get the, for the ´02-´07 (32bit) fitting, PC5 including the "autotune"-function
plus a lambda broadband sensor - the thread you already should have at the exhaust pipe.
if not order it (m18x1.5) together with the PC5 and weld it in.

then for more power get the entire 4in1 exhaust-system from akrapovic (the gen2´s will fit also if none for the gen1 is available)
alone by that switch you´ll get around 15 hp more plus a lost of around 15 kg compared to the orginal exhaust-system
together with the PC5+ you may increase the power again - but how much only a test bench could tell you.

all else, your intended switch to gen2, in my view, is - sorry - a sheere nonsense and causes alone huge consequential problems (electronis conflicts) that are hardly or not at all to be dealt with.
the result will be an almost endless treatment of issues by error messages.

1st to name - the 2nd throttle flap wich are used at the gen2 - the gen2 ecu will look for it at your gen1, won´t find it and shows a fault in the DTC.

2nd to name - the flywheel / rotor at your ´02 should already be for the 32bit piece - it should have 23 "noses"
in contrast to the 16-bit flywheel / rotor with the haya from ´99-´01 with only 8 notches.
so if you find the 8 notches rotor under the cover LH you at 1st have to replace that incl. the ecu.

the how to and what parts you´ll need - see my hp where i described it step by step.

and at last - before you even change only one more screw at all,
go to a testbench to get a power diagram of the status / condition of your busa.

I have done the 32bit conversion on bike, and I have woolich racing software and autotune box with lambda sensor (used with my SV1000). Autotune will not work with gen1 ecu. PC5 with autotune module will cost allmost the same as the gen2 ecu upgrade, and cannot tune IAP map to my understanding.
Bike has a full 4-2-1 akrapovic exhaust system and 1397 bigbore kit with re-timed stock cams for most possible lower-end power, so the old girl is in excellent condition :-)
2nd throttle flap which gen1 tbs do not have, can be disabled with woolich software, along with other features.
I have placed orders on ebay for gen2 ecu, wiring, cam sensor ect. Other people has done the mod with succes on suzukihayabusa.org, but it is an old thread, so I posted my questions on that forum and here, hoping someone who have done the mod sees it.

dyno.jpg

sorry but i´m 90% sure that the PC5 works fine at a ´02-´07
here a link to micronsystems (the german trader ;) ) - page translated by google to danish language
and the same page here in german

dear "neighbor" ;)
are you able to read and write german?
if yes launch the forum at www.hayabusa.de
(when it is reachable again next days - at the moment it is off - the admin is till sturday working on the issue)

sorry but i´m 90% sure that the PC5 works fine at a ´02-´07
here a link to micronsystems (the german trader ;) ) - page translated by google to danish language
and the same page here in german

dear "neighbor" ;)
are you able to read and write german?
if yes launch the forum at www.hayabusa.de
(when it is reachable again next days - at the moment it is off - the admin is till sturday working on the issue)
Sorry, I ment that Woolich racing autotune will not work with gen1 hayabusa, unless you have log box pro which is discontinued..

Sorry, I ment that Woolich racing autotune will not work with gen1 hayabusa, unless you have log box pro which is discontinued..

grin / big grin - that shows again the problem with not 100% precise questions - they most of the times lead to wrong answers :)

I am looking to do a gen1 to gen2 ecu conversion on my 2002 Hayabusa.
If anyone has done this, can you tell me if I am on the right track?! :-)

PartsI needed from GEN2?
- ECU
- Wiring harness
- RH bar controls
- Speedometer cluster
- GSXR/gen2 cam position sensor
- Airbox temp and vacuum map sensor

And i need to:
- Disable STVP, secondary injectors

Questions:
- Do i need gen2 gear position sensor, or can I use gen1?
- Do i need Brocks cam pin re-locator for my stock gen1 cams?
Since nobody had info on this conversion, I will share my own experiences..
Parts used from gen2:
- ECU
- Wiring harness
- LH bar controls
- Speedometer cluster
- 2008 GSXR cam position sensor
- Airbox temp sensor
- vacuum map sensors

Mods:
- Disable STVP, secondary injectors, ISC
- Lots of wiring mods (not plug n play job)

After 2 runs with autotune, bike runs awesome.. So much smoother than before. Constant speed jerks are completly gone. Pulls clean from 1500rpm with no hesitation, no jerks.
Stock gen2 fuel maps are waaayy different from gen1.. It runs like crap under 4000rpm, so mapping i needed.. I used a gen1 stock map as basemap

Since nobody had info on this conversion, I will share my own experiences..
Parts used from gen2:
- ECU
- Wiring harness
- LH bar controls
- Speedometer cluster
- 2008 GSXR cam position sensor
- Airbox temp sensor
- vacuum map sensors

Mods:
- Disable STVP, secondary injectors, ISC
- Lots of wiring mods (not plug n play job)

After 2 runs with autotune, bike runs awesome.. So much smoother than before. Constant speed jerks are completly gone. Pulls clean from 1500rpm with no hesitation, no jerks.
Stock gen2 fuel maps are waaayy different from gen1.. It runs like crap under 4000rpm, so mapping i needed.. I used a gen1 stock map as basemap
Is everything working properly still. Considering doing this on my bike

yes everything is working, but it is a very labour intensive job
Wiring wise its intensive or else where??? I figured intergrating the light wiring with the new switches would be the hardest part. Been thinking about doing this for a while for progressive nitrous control and gear indicator lol vs buying separate boxes. But most I seen where using a gen 2 head as well.

Yes wiring is the biggest job. You have to cut and move a lot of wires and plugs from gen1 to gen2 harness.
You can use gen1 head, throttle body and airbox. You just need to cut and splice in gen1 TB harness and turn off secondary injectors, STV and ICS valve in gen2 ecu. I started off using the gen1 TBs, but later on went with gen2 TBs, only to find out there is zero extra HP to be made with gen2 TB. Only benefit is the Idle control valve (no more high idle lever).

Yes wiring is the biggest job. You have to cut and move a lot of wires and plugs from gen1 to gen2 harness.
You can use gen1 head, throttle body and airbox. You just need to cut and splice in gen1 TB harness and turn off secondary injectors, STV and ICS valve in gen2 ecu. I started off using the gen1 TBs, but later on went with gen2 TBs, only to find out there is zero extra HP to be made with gen2 TB. Only benefit is the Idle control valve (no more high idle lever).
Ok thanks so much.

Back