Gen 1 fairing removal

ThunderJohn

Registered
How hard is it to remove the fairings and tank from a gen 1? I have yet to take the bike completely apart but am going to have it painted next week. They will do it but I could save $200 if I remove and put them back myself.

Not hard at all. Take your time and they will come off easy. The top comes off in one piece headlight and all), but you will need to take off the mirrors 1st and then pry it around the front stay(bars). Just make sure you use a good allen wrench. Not one that is partially rounded. Last thing you want is to deal with a stripped aluminum bolt. Rear will pry off easy too once you get the bolts off.

I agree. Save the $200.
Not hard - just take your time.
If you've never done it plan on an hour to take it off or on for everything.

Now make sure you take before and after photos for us.......

Doing the same thing next week. I was quoted $200 in labor to remove and assemble fairings...I can think of some goodies to spend $200 on...will also be my first time removing all fairings myself. Should be interesting.

It's not bad at all. Start with the 2 side fairings, then the nose and tail section and tank. All the fasteners are pretty easy to find, put em all in bags and label am for reassembley later. Don't forget to remove the gromets around from the holes too for a cleaner, more professional paint job.

So what about removing the tank? Do I drain it first? I have lifted the tank before looks like it comes off easy. I have taken the tail off when I put my undertail on it. I kind if wanted to do it also because I want to put LED lights and paint my exhaust. Figure it wil be easier to do while it is naked. So am hour or so is all it takes?

I am not the world's brightest wrench, but I was able to get my side fairing on and off fairly easily. I am in the process of replacing all the fairing fasteners with the *correct* ones, there's two directly on the bottom and two on the front that hold the bottom halves together. The one marked PULL UP is a little tricky, but lift it up and look in there with a good light. It "pops" back in and out. Hope this helps.

busasidecoverscrews.jpg

So what about removing the tank? Do I drain it first? I have lifted the tank before looks like it comes off easy. I have taken the tail off when I put my undertail on it. I kind if wanted to do it also because I want to put LED lights and paint my exhaust. Figure it wil be easier to do while it is naked. So am hour or so is all it takes?

I wouldn't worry about draining it first, unless its pretty full. Under half and you should be okay. I can't recall which way I took my tank off, if I undid the bolts on the tank or took apart the hinge. Is give yourself more than an hour, just for the time it takes to organize hardware and maybe snap a few pics of things depending in how good your memory is and how good ya are with mechanical stuff. Usually takes me doing something a few times before I recall where all the fasteners go.
Oh, and a car tire without a rim in it holds the tank pretty well once you tske it off the bike.

Ok with the confidence of the org behind me I successfully pulled it apart. Really did not take long just the tank got me a little bit confused on what was the best way to take it apart but I got it figured out.

Now if I can figure out pics with my iPhone I will post some before and after.

Was looking and thinking of removing the stator cover to have it painted. Is that a tough project? You think it is worth it?

I've never taken one of those off, I know they're magnetic and there's some inards stuck to em from the otherside. What color is the bike gonna be and what color do you want to paint the cover?
There are some nice lookin and functional aftermarket ones, look uo Woodcraft stator covers.

I am going to paint it black with some red. Most of the red will be coming out if the fairing holes and blending out.

Back