Gen 1 engine build questions?

busakiller

Registered
So I would like to do some cheap upgrades to my stock motor bike. I was thinking dual intake cams, remove base gasket, thinner head gasket, head porting and head studs. Would drop in pistons really be worth the money?

So I would like to do some cheap upgrades to my stock motor bike. I was thinking dual intake cams, remove base gasket, thinner head gasket, head porting and head studs. Would drop in pistons really be worth the money?
You and I have different views on "cheap"...My guess would be cams and gaskets. Check MPSRacing (tons of busa stuff) and Schnitz Racing.

You and I have different views on "cheap"...My guess would be cams and gaskets. Check MPSRacing (tons of busa stuff) and Schnitz Racing.
This is my fun street bike. It gives a lot of bikes a run for there money around here in a roll race. But I think it needs a little more power. I don’t want to bore it out cause then I need to run 2 batteries or buy a big bad ass battery.

I have never been a huge fan of drop in kits
for only short money more , 1397's much better

and I can't think anyone would disagree there is a noticeable difference

I have a 1397 in my drag bike. I love it but this is a street bike and I want to do this on the cheap. I already have nitrous on it and spraying a 75 shot on it right now. I plan on pulling the motor and doing head studs this winter. Figure if I’m there I could do some things to add power for cheap. I will probably gap the rings out more so I can spray it a little more.

New pistons would give you more piston to valve clearance and more compression. I figure I got about a tenth in the 1/4 when I moved from 12.5 to 13.5 on my 1441. I'm told you don't want to decrease piston to deck less than about a mm but not sure where the thin base gasket will put you. While you are in there, a Gen2 crank is only $600.

Amazingly the price of piston kits has gone up substantially in the past 2 years. I cant get a set of gen 1 wisecos for under $500 anymore. I have a killer std bore recipe that was cost effective but it doesnt seem that way now. For a little bit more, send in a gen 1 block to APE and forget std bore. Without pistons, the compression on a gen 1 is in my opinion the limiting factor. Shaving the head, thinner head gasket, etc, seem all band aids for the pistons. I dont think doing cams or headwork to a gen 1 is cost effective until you get the compression up. Thats just my 2 cents. It is how I came up with that good street std bore budget build that isnt really budget anymore. Sucks. Like Dennis said, might as well sell your gen 1 crank and get a gen 2 while your in there.

Back