Gearbox limitations

Russ W

Registered
Dear All,

I have already undercut my gears, and as yet they are fine. But if they start jumping again I will uprate the internals for longevity rather than keep cracking the cases open as I intend to uprate the engine soon anyway.

So, just one question, how much engine power will the Gen1 standard gearbox take before it will need uprating?

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to the engine (power wise) before i need to upgrade to a stronger set of gears and dogs?

Many thanks.

I am sorry to say the engine is in an old shape mini, Its what we call Autograss, rear engine (behind rear axle) rear wheel drive. Run on grass/clay/shale/chalk. All unsealed surfaces here in the UK.

Car weighs circa 500kg (half a tonne). Standard engine apart from exhaust header, K&N air box and PC3.

Was wondering at what stage of engine modification will i need to uprate the gearbox?

I have the option of putting a 3 speed gearbox. (I only use 1st and 2nd anyway). I only change gear once per race once its in 2nd thats where it stays till the Chequered flag.

from what i have seen...most of the damage to the gearbox comes from missed shifts. especially the 1 - 2 shift. i never the gearbox go out do to too HP.

but this is just my experience....i do not know anybody with a 500+ turbo. some of my friends are only running thier turbos in the 350hp range.

Stock engine and pc/exhaust won't put your power output anywhere near damaging the trans. Clutch life may become an issue due to heavier weight of vehicle, but as long as you don't slip it too bad taking off I wouldn't worry about it. Clutches are relatively cheap, and very easy to change.

Many thanks for the info. That has put my mind at rest.I have to slip the clutch a bit just to move around the pits, but of the line i just step off of it anyway. I have a spare clutch as part of my spares.

If i change the clutch, due to wear do i need to flush the engine through before fitting the new one? Obviously ill change the oil and filter as a matter of course, but will i need to flush the engine through with new cheap oil just to get rid of any clutch particles?

Many thanks for any and all help.:thumbsup:

Russ.

Many thanks for the info. That has put my mind at rest.I have to slip the clutch a bit just to move around the pits, but of the line i just step off of it anyway. I have a spare clutch as part of my spares.

If i change the clutch, due to wear do i need to flush the engine through before fitting the new one? Obviously ill change the oil and filter as a matter of course, but will i need to flush the engine through with new cheap oil just to get rid of any clutch particles?

Many thanks for any and all help.:thumbsup:

Russ.
Not unless you shatter the basket. I go through quite a few clutch packs and haven't noticed any need to flush the engine. :beerchug:

Back