gear indicator

superbusaman

Registered
just wondering if anyone has these? or have heard anything good or bad about them. thanks for the info. www.riderstation.com

I have installed several of them. They are ok depending on whatyour using it for. If you race/drag then get a shift light. You dont have time to glance and study a row of green then red LED"s lighting up. A shift minder will chirp out a studder to indicate you just missed your shift points. A shift light will help remind you to shift on time. A row of lights will cause you to hesitate while studing the row of lights and not focusing on the track thus causing you to hesitate more in shifting. Just my opinion. Oh by the way I dont race. So hope my ½ cents is worth about ¼ cents..
smile.gif

Honestly if your getting it for a gadget and use it here and there its good. If your a racer I would suggest a shift light and/or a shift minder.

ICE

Now if your talking about the gear indicator that tells you what gear your in and not the rev light (row of leds left to right), then thats a different story. Here is mine installed.

post-6-70562-digigear.jpg

thats definetly sweet iceman, never thought of putting the indicator there. i was gonna get both. is that the same indicator that i posted teh website? waterproof?

Ice, does the positioning of the gear indicator in the panel distract you when looking at it? It looks nice where it sits so I was just curious. I'm getting mine in the next couple weeks and exploring options for where to put it.

These are the two I have. I got them from rider station. The rev light can be programmed to light up all at once as a shift light or in a sequence for certain rpms and you can progam the rpm spectrum. It comes with different color filters so you can customize it your way and comes with an extra face. Easy install and you can get it where it is a plug and play(I personally reccomend it). The gear indicator works good too. I like them both. If you put it on the dash, you will need to french them in so they do not hit the windshield.

What kind of winscreen do you have, Mark? Can't really tell from the pic.

That one is a Puig Racing screen but, I tried the stock one on there, my Power Bronze Airflow and they all fit well with them in there.

I have mine mounted just like mctrull, although I've been wanting to mount it in the side panel like Icemann's. I don't have the rev light, but I really like my gear indicator. Works great and not hard to calibrate and set up. Real easy if you have it on the rear stand.
cool.gif

I'm going to get the shift light when I get my backlight gauge mod done next week. I will also order the rev light. Has anyone tried/used the aluminum housing that RiderStation offers for the DG8? Is the housing a replacement for the housing that the DG8 comes with? If not, will it fit under the windscreen given the little space there? Thanks.

I just installed the gear indicator. It's OK. If you're stopping and changing gears, sometimes it's a bit strange, and there can be a bit of delay.

I would go with the version that comes with the plugin loom, so you don't have to screw with soldering.

I'm going to get the shift light when I get my backlight gauge mod done next week.  I will also order the rev light.  Has anyone tried/used the aluminum housing that RiderStation offers for the DG8?  Is the housing a replacement for the housing that the DG8 comes with?  If not, will it fit under the windscreen given the little space there?  Thanks.
BigBS,

The cover that they have for the DG8 is just a protective covering. The DG8 just slides in. I used a little bit of silicon around the inside of the housing so that it will secure itself in there. There are like 3 different anodized colors the housing comes in: red, blue, and silver. I have the silver. Also, spend the extra twenty bucks to get the plug-n-play version. It just plugs into the back of your guage panel. One piece of advice. Once you plug the round connectors, use some electrical tape to secure them together. Trust me, the vibration will make the connections come loose. It's kinda a headache when you have to remove the nose fairing just to re-connect. It didn't take me but one time for that to happen to come up with a solution to the problem.

Brian

Oh yeah BigBS, it fits right on top of the guages. I used some industrial strenght velcro and it sits snugly in place. I'm satisfied with it so far.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Just wanted to make sure it would all fit before I get it.

I have the DG8 indicator -- got it before they came out with the plug-in wiring harness, so I had to solder in everything. Still wasn't that bad, but I'm sure it's much easier to deal with now.

I have the cable for the indicator snaking up the back of the dash and out through the gasket on top to a mounting point at the 12-o'clock position on the tach.

This gear indicator monitors speedo and tach pulses and guesstimates what gear you're in from that. Bearing this in mind, there's sometimes a delay before it figures out what gear you're in, and it can be fooled at low RPMs/speeds.

I was spoiled by the BMW gear indicator and got one for the 'Busa out of habit. Turns out it's really handy because the 'Busa's gearing is so tall one often can't guess what gear they're in order to make plans for an upcoming corner, etc.

Been very reliable so far, well made item. A useful, cheap mod.

I dont think I was the first person to get the gear indicator but probably one of the first handfull. Ive had it for a while. It's waterproof/tight as is. The DG8 annodized housing is more for looks than anything. The accuraman is the same thing.

I had to solder mine in as well. I just put a quick connect plug on it so I can unplug it when I take out the panel. It comes in blue now. I kinda wanted blue until I got to see it. The red doesnt wash out as much as the blue in the sunlight IMO.

It's great when your riding for a long time and start to second guess yourself. You never really try to find 7th gear anymore. Down shift to 3rd in a glance. The delay is a little slow but usually when stopped or setting at a light so it's cool.

Great for approaching curves.

Where I have mine mounted in the inner panel. It's very easy to see out of the corner of your eye. Dont have to lean to see it. IT's out of the way and flush in the inner panel. Ranks high up on the usefull/coolness factor. The plug and play model is easier but the soldering method was a piece of cake as well.

Emagine taking a piece of tin and snipping it into a box with the four flaps of the box lid opened. Box is size of digigear. Epoxy the open flaps of the lid of the box to the bottom of the inner panel. cut out the hole in the inner panel first of course, and you have a place to velcro the DG8 into.

Hope it helps.

MVC_086F.JPG

Back