Gas milage?

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
So I fill up my tank, and a few miles later (140mi) the low fuel light comes on....I did not ride it hard this past tank. Why is the economy so low?

I get a huge variation in range depending on how I ride and where I ride.
Even going easy around town stuff I will get about 140 miles just like your saying.
Cruising at 70 on the highway with very light throttle across the desert I got 230 miles and still didn't see the light come on.
Normal higway riding with occasional high speed blasts I will get 180ish and see the light.
Horsing around town blasting from light to light, maybe a burnout or 2 and I get 120...
Its all over the map.

(Samurai-Jim @ May 11 2007,07:52) I get a huge variation in range depending on how I ride and where I ride.
Even going easy around town stuff I will get about 140 miles just like your saying.
Cruising at 70 on the highway with very light throttle across the desert I got 230 miles and still didn't see the light come on.
Normal higway riding with occasional high speed blasts I will get 180ish and see the light.
Horsing around town blasting from light to light, maybe a burnout or 2 and I get 120...
Its all over the map.
+1

(Samurai-Jim @ May 11 2007,06:52) I get a huge variation in range depending on how I ride and where I ride.
Its all over the map.
+1 here too, I was suprised how much it varied from around town riding to highway riding.

(KanjiBusa @ May 11 2007,04:40) So I fill up my tank, and a few miles later (140mi) the low fuel light comes on....I did not ride it hard this past tank. Why is the economy so low?
I went thru a similar thing on mine. I looked hard at my driving habits and those hadn't changed that I could think of. In my case I had my throttle bodies synced and while the bike ran way better as far as idle smoothness etc, my mileage dropped wayyyy off. And you could smell raw fuel on acceleration and after decel. In my case it all got solved when I recycled the ECU. The theory to it was concluded to be something like this. The ECU had the old TPS position in its memory set from the factory. When you sync the t/bs you actually chnane the butterfly position and that thereby causes the TPS to be in a different position yet the ECU still thinks its at the old position and sees the new position as a new demand for air fuel management and added fuel. When I reset the ECU my mileage returned to its original nice numbers. I since added a PC3 running a stock map and my mileage got even better. Here is what I find. If I drive easy on the throttle say 20-30% throttle and shift below 3K I can maintain 40+ around town and about 50 on the highway at about 70-75. As soon as I get past that and the more agressively I do so, the mileage goes markedly and quickly down. Don't get me wrong I can run her up to the limits and do so, but I also know that as soon as I do, my mileage will go south quickly. So I also have learned to discilpline my driviong habits even more acutely since gong through this experience.

I've been getting around 40 so far. Which is better than my 750 .(usually around 35) But, on a track day the 750 gets about 20. Yes, thats right, 20mpg! LOL

Damn you guys, i've been getting 34MPG. and i drive like an old man. Maybe my plugs are bad? i have 31K miles on mine, and i don't know if they've been changed.

(BUSADOOK @ May 11 2007,08:41) Damn you guys, i've been getting 34MPG. and i drive like an old man. Maybe my plugs are bad? i have 31K miles on mine, and i don't know if they've been changed.
Service interval for plugs is 15K miles. Your busa will run much better with some new plugs.

I WAS getting 38-40- UNTIL Itook it to the dealer for the 3500 service sched.
29-32 mpg??? WHAT did they do? I have yet to ask them, as I haven't been back by there. AND now-- I put shorties on, and I ride it pretty hard-- always did. Afraid to do any more mods-- 30mpg is pretty stiff. Guess I'll go see the cheese!! Johnny cheese.

Jeremy, some things to look at for some fuel economy. What grade gas are you running? Most busas will get better gas milage with 87 octane. The engine runs cooler with 87 too. Check your air pressure in your tires and run at 42 psi as recommended. Do you blurp the throttle while stopped or when downshifting? Is gas running out the overflow when you have the bike up on the rear tire?
tounge.gif
You will also get more gas for your money if you fill up late at night or early in the morning when it's cool. I know we didn't buy our bikes for fuel enonomy, but with gas over $3 a gallon in most locations, it never hurts to do anything we can to reduce the costs of operating our babies. I filled up yesterday and mine took almost $15 to fill up. Daym!
SHOCKED.gif

Where I am it is ALL stop'n'go I was just shocked to see how much it really effected the milage. And I just happened to notice when the fuel prices broke the $3 mark

Back