Save Yourself Some Gas!

doodoggy

Registered
I did a search on the board, to see if there were any compilations of tips on better fuel economy. The search didn't turn anything good up, so I decided to start one.

1) Keep the bike light. Remove any unnecesarry baggage when riding.
2) Accelerate slowly.
3) Short shift. The Busa is torquey, so shifting with the revs low won't stall you, provided you don't shift too low in the rev range.
4) Keep speeds constant. Hard braking and fluctuating twists on the throttle can kill fuel economy.

What are some of your tips?

I bought a 02 klr 650 and love the fuggin thing. No more driving my truck to Brooklyn or my busa and man is it good on gas and a blast to drive. Oh, and I laugh at pot holes now.

get a Buell Blast to commute on ..........
biggrin.gif
lol those things get around 70 mpg but are ugly as hell and gutless

I know that gas is not cheap anymore but .... wheres the fun in trying to save gas:p .. But i hear u .. 90mi - 120mi on a tank .. i got to lay off the throttle "JUST CANT HELP IT" .. If i really had to try to save gas id just go strictly to and from work and stay putt and not go riding.

bleh... who buys a motorcyle.. atleast a serious motorcycle for gas mileage?

I only look at the mpg thing out of curiosity.

I can keep my busa over 45mpg all day in town as long as I take off real easy and keep it under about 4000 rpm. It's hard to do but it can be done. Easy 50 mpg on open road if you stay around 65mph without any hard twisting. Again its hard to do.

P.S. If your worried about fuel mileage you should have bought a moped. It gets better mileage than most any real cars.

<!--EDIT|Bergster
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130298756 -->

Oh come on! #1 makes sense but 2, 3, and 4 are the main reasons for owning a busa! every body is always worried about gas prices, but you gotta compare it with reality pricing, and realize we're all gonna pay it anyway... how much do you spend on lunch every day? how much are 5 beers? How much are those cigarettes? depending on yoru vehicle, gas is 5 - 40 more per week. I'm guessing I spend $25 a week on lunch. Altering one spending habit offsets fuel prices

I do the exact opposite of 2,3,4 on my Busa and will continue to waste gas doing so. If the government makes me stop, I'm selling the bike

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130302061 -->

if i was that worried about fuel mileage i would have bought a moped instead..LOL

speaking of gas milage, tell me if I'm smoking crack. I was using prem. gas in my busa. My son GSXTacy told me to run reg. unleaded. I switched and I swear my bike is running stronger, but getting worse milage. Am I nuts?

Back