fuel pump screen!!!!!!!

OB_JokerJ

Registered
I still use Redline fuel injection cleaner on my 2000. Just feel more comfortable doing it.

An ounce of prevention....yaddah...yaddah...yaddah

remember there is a screen behind the pump that must be cleaned.the pump must be rmoved from its housing to access the screen attatched.i see these missed all the time by individuals and dealers alike.

i've been there and it sucks so hopefully i can save someone the damnn agrivation i went through.and even if the big filter looks good replace it.

And the white plastic bracket that remains when the pump motor is removed has to pulled as well. It's not as easy to remove this as it looks.

Man, you guys make me nervous. Is it true that my 2000 model does not and will not have this problem? Curiously, what's the source of contamination on the '99 model fuel systems? I've seen a lot of posts about cleaning the screens, but what's plugging them up to begin with?

-paranoid minds want to know

My advice is to yank the entire busa fuel pump and regulator and replace it with an aftermarket item. I just did it to mine and it was pretty easy. I used an automotive pump from Advance Auto and a Regulator from NOS. Plumbed it all in with high pressure fuel lines and an automotive type large diameter fuel filter.

No more worries about clogged screens low fuel pressure etc. The NOS regulator is adjustable and I set it to stock pressure. The added pressure is not needed now because this setup is capable of delivering a lot more volume than the stock motor could even need.

Thanks to Turbo Rick for all his help with getting me set up on this project

Don
roaddog

So 2000's shouldn't gum up as quick as th 99's due the tank lining problem or something...

But MH, when should the filter be checked, replaced, cleaned etc? Is the manual specs a decent time frame, or do you think she will clog up sooner.,. Haven't had mine apart yet to examine..

Dunno about those '00s. About 300 miles into the break-in that surging/studdering problem at ~3k-5k RPM reared its ugly head and seemed to get worse as the miles went by. Redline seemed to help, but now at ~650 miles it's back. Could it be all those additives they add to the California fuel? We'll see what the shop has to say about it at the 600 mile service.

Back