Todd and everyone else, add this to your Hayabusa troubleshooting file

OB_RobBase

Registered
Three weeks ago I did a minor tune on my bike. Synthetic oil, TB sync and TPS adjustment. I knew the TPS was off since member Lyle showed me with his dealer mode switch. The TPS line was at the top. Well, during the tune-up I reset it so the line was in the middle (-COO). That's when the trouble started. The first test ride after the tune up I got my first stumble. Then another. Oh **** , my fuel filters are clogged, I thought.

Parked the bike and the next day I went to start her up, I turned the key and I didn't hear the fuel pump priming. Of course no fuel pump, no start. What the hell? I thought the fuel filters must really be ****ed so I took them out and they were for the most part spotless. (More on that later)

I put everything back together turned the key and voila! she started. Time for another test ride. Damn it, it's still hesitating, sputtering. Except this time it cut out and wouldn't start up. Again no fuel pump priming noise.

Well, off to the dealer mechanic. He fixes it and tells me the TPS was "way off". No way I thought, I couldn't have ****ed it up that bad. I picked up the bike yesterday and sure enough she's perfect again. I take it home and plug in the dealer mode switch, look at the LCD, and the line is back at the top again. What's going on? I'm not going to fool with it again, but why is it like this?

I never thought that having the TPS "way off" would keep the bike from starting. Live and learn.

Oh yeah, about the fuel filters. One of Motorhead's first posts on H.org said to use RedLine fuel system cleaner. Which I did. It works. One tiny 1/4" screen in the fuel pump had some copper colored gook in it and when I put a couple of drops of RedLine on it the **** started to melt. The gook that is. A couple of minutes later it was all gone. So I will definitely keep a supply of Red Line on hand and THANKS, Motorhead!

Rob I've been trying to get rid of a stumble on my 99, checked filters ,connections, played with PC2, ran redline and checked sync.Stumble still there. Are you saying that with TPS at top I might get rid of it? Its worth a shot.Glad you got yours going.

Thanks Rob - I was wondering how things had worked out for you. Unusual occurance to say the least. Checked the TPS setting on both my 99' and now my 00' and they were both in the middle - never had to adjust. I wonder what your dealer's explanation is for setting yours at the top when the standard procedure is for the middle? Regardless I'm sure glad to hear everything is fine now.

NUCKINFUTS-The line is SUPPOSED to be in the middle. Mine was on the top from day one and I never knew it. Ignorance is bliss, cause it always ran perfect until I adjusted it. The stumble is the same one I had until I unplugged the PC2. I'm trying to find out how to tell if the PC2 is bad. Some people have received 'bad' PC2's.

Todd-I picked up the bike Saturday and the mechanic was off. But I'm going to call him today to ask him that question. I'm also wondering how I'll ever know if the TPS is set correctly now that I can't go off the LCD indicator.

Johnnycheese-I went to sleep early last night, I'm reading Labusas right now.

Back