Fuel Mesh Filter Cleaning/Replacement

haya4life

Registered
How many of you have cleaned your fuel mesh filter or replaced it as preventative maintenance? My 08 is running perfect I think, just wondering if its worth it to open the tank and check it or replace it. Over time, you might not notice the gasoline flow is not as smooth as new.

Service Manual says, "Warning...the o-ring on the tank must be replaced with a new one to prevent fuel leakage if you open the tank".

Your thoughts?

That O-Ring runs over $30. If you tear into the pump you'll be buying more o-rings made of gold. Chris seemed to reuse his old ones. My tank o-ring looked perfect.

While I was figuring out my fuel system problems, useless backflush three times and finally a filter replacement I had my pump filter sender unit out three or four times and reused the o-ring each time with no leaks. Just make sure you clean it and lightly lube it with a little motor oil. Tighten the screws down evenly when you tighten them down. The age of the o-ring has a lot to do with it also. My bike was only two years old when I had my fueling problems. If its pre gen2 you might want to consider replacement.

i would love to take mine out and clean it but im afraid it is too complicated to do and too risky to screw up

It's in the base of the pump. If you've ever lifted the fuel tank you can see what I'm calling the base. You have to remove the fuel pump and disassemble the pump to expose this filter mesh filter ( low pressure ), the filter ( high pressure ) must be replaced.

i would love to take mine out and clean it but im afraid it is too complicated to do and too risky to screw up

On my Gen I I cleaned out the mesh filter and never replaced any seals or gaskets.
My bike wasn't running right at the time so I was trying different things.
If your bike is running fine I wouldn't think that it would be necessary to take it apart.
I'm not sure how the Gen II's are different, if at all in that area.

It wasn't to bad of a job - but you do need to empty the tank as much as possible
before pulling the pump out. The fuel gauge float is attached and you need to be a
little gentle taking that out, otherwise it's pretty straight forward of a job.
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I needed to, but my bike is running fine. :whistle:

I re-used the O-ring on the fuel pump assy, the 2nd time I removed it. The first time I replaced it. The Oring was only $16 back then :). I lubed it up with some Belray waterproof grease last time, and it hasn't leaked a drop in 30K or so miles.

Back