Frame sliders

jamesml

Registered
I just got my frame sliders in from Lockhart after being on backorder for more than 6 months. I forgot I ordered them when I got a call they'd come in.

Now I've got the challenge of installing the buggers. I'm just not confident in my ability to not completely HOSE the fairings while drilling out the holes.

PLEASE give me some suggestions.

I am right here in the same town as Johnny Cheese, he's even done some mechanical work for me. But don't know if he does any body as well.

At any rate, all suggestions are appreciated.
idea.gif

There have been a few topics on this, just do a search and you will find it. I just did mine a few weeks ago and it came out great. I used a hole saw with a center bit, a cut off sharpie marker, and a lot of masking tape. It was pretty easy, just run the drill slow, easy on the pressure and you will do fine.

it's not all that bad.. if I can do it, so can you. and if it goes terribly wrong, you can get the c/f fairing you've always wanted!
biggrin.gif

There's lots of stuff on the web too, to help you out.

Now I've got the challenge of installing the buggers.  I'm just not confident in my ability to not completely HOSE the fairings while drilling out the holes.

PLEASE give me some suggestions.  
I hope you haven't started yet but here's my tip for frame sliders. I'm guessing yours use the engine mounts to attach. Simple but if you can get sliders that mount to their own mount that attaches to two points on the frame you'll have lesser chance of bending things.

Anyhoo...try this.

To find the point you need to start drilling with, take your fairings off and stick a wad of plasticine/playdoe to the faring around the area the engine mount will be.

Now mount the fairing and press into the area around the engine mount and remove the fairing...tah dah, the mould you have will indicate where to drill the centre hole.

Just drill it out with a small diameter bit. 1/8 should do it.
Now with the appropiate sized hole saw you can drill out the hole for the slider. Just tape up the area first with masking tape and using a slow rpm setting, slowly cut out the hole. You don't want to use a high speed setting or you can melt the plastics.

Once the hole is done. Finish it off by hand with sandpaper or use a Dremel to smooth out the edges.

beerchug.gif
and have fun

Back