For You Bird Lovers - The U2 Spy Plane

Seen it before... and still breath taking! Captain Slow (James May) did good in this video!

BEAUTIFUL; man, i'd like to do a Joe Kittenger and JUMP IT!

dont see the need for the cars following on take off and landing... but tother then that awesome video

I love the GTO chase cars (used to be el caminos lol)..... its a favorite past time on the gto boards to watch the u2 plane landings being chased by the gto...

course, me being a GTO owner has nothing to do with that... ;)

as to the chase cars..... the plane effectivly cant land with out them...

the cars are driven by seasoned U2 pilots giving ground directions, elevation count downs, alignment, etc. to the pilot of the u2...

you have to remember, on landing, its effectivly landing on two little roller skates, that are in line with the body, only many feet behind the pilot.... the wing gear fall away at take off...

i've only ever seen them used on landing, not sure why they used them on take off, other than to get footage for the movie...

Last edited:
as to the chase cars..... the plane effectivly cant land with out them...

the cars are driven by seasoned U2 pilots giving ground directions, elevation count downs, alignment, etc. to the pilot of the u2...

you have to remember, on landing, its effectivly landing on two little roller skates, that are in line with the body, only many feet behind the pilot.... the wing gear fall away at take off...

i've only ever seen them used on landing, not sure why they used them on take off, other than to get footage for the movie...

+1

They can't see how high they are so the chase car calls out height to the pilot. It's actually a pretty cool process to see and work. They've used everything from Mustangs, Camaros, etc. to get up to speed and follow. They have such high lift wings that they essentially stall them to get them down. The wing wheels are called pogos. They fall off during takeoff and use skids on the wing tips when coming to a stop. Then they reinstall the pogos to taxi back in... ;)

Did Top Gear pay for the airplane ride?:whistle:

lol you know, every time i see someone do something in our military that looks like fun...

i think the same thing... im a citizen and i cant do that... how do they!

lol

James May(sp?) is right.... i wanna go to!

Thank you so much for posting that video! I have forwarded it to quite a few familiy members.

Breathtaking to say the least :bowdown: What a privilege that must have been!

Still, I wish they'd kept the SR-71 flying.....Catch me if you can :moon:

Back