For those without secure storage

Where I live, we don’t have fences, we don’t lock our doors and it is probably the safest place in the world I have ever experienced.

My concern is when I go somewhere, where I have to park the bike.

I once went for lunch, my remote started buzzing, went out and a bunch of kids were all over the bike.
Our neighborhood is normally pretty safe...very few fences (only those with pools basically).

Lots of people leave their bicycles, lawn tractors or expensive kid toys in their yards with zero issues...

However just once in a while we hear of someone trying to get into vehicles probably to take change...one guy had them go in his truck and not touch anything other than some change in his center console even though he had a GPS and other shiny things in there....

Just put an AirTag in it somewhere and grab the 12 gauge if it moves.
Take it and shovel. Go get your bike back. Nobody needs to know anything happened other than the roses are blooming really nice this year with the fertilizer you just planted.
Did not know what an Airtag is, so I oogled it.

How reliable is the signal, based on using the bluetooth of a stranger's phone?

Second question is how amicable are the police to go after the culprit if you provide the location, which may change by the hour depending on what time they go to the pin point?

Did not know what an Airtag is, so I oogled it.

How reliable is the signal, based on using the bluetooth of a stranger's phone?

Second question is how amicable are the police to go after the culprit if you provide the location, which may change by the hour depending on what time they go to the pin point?
I’ve personally never used an AirTag but lots of folks put them in their luggage when they travel in case a bag gets lost. Parents put them in their kids backpacks in case of kidnapping concerns so they are used a lot.
Read some reviews online about signal reliability- that’s a good question.

Your police question depends on where you live but in most big cities police don’t do much with property crimes.
They are understaffed and have been cowed into submission by the local police commissions and civic groups so don’t expect much from them.
Might be worth a phone call to your local police department to ask how they would respond in this case.

I’ve personally never used an AirTag but lots of folks put them in their luggage when they travel in case a bag gets lost. Parents put them in their kids backpacks in case of kidnapping concerns so they are used a lot.
Read some reviews online about signal reliability- that’s a good question.

Your police question depends on where you live but in most big cities police don’t do much with property crimes.
They are understaffed and have been cowed into submission by the local police commissions and civic groups so don’t expect much from them.
Might be worth a phone call to your local police department to ask how they would respond in this case.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

I guess police are city based, so in a lot of cases, even if it is in the same county, it may not be the local police department.

Call 911: "I have a stolen motorcycle and I have a carry permit for a 911 Colt. So I just dialed the number on my Colt. Thanks for answering, that was great customer support!! Here is the thing, I am looking at my motorcycle right now, at the corner of Bee Bob Drive and Cheese Cake Avenue, in the city of Broken Donut. I'm going to approach the fat guy sitting on it, block the entrance and tell him I need the motorcycle. Should he pose an imminent threat I am going to defend myself and use deadly force. I may also get onto the motorcycle and use the Caste Doctrine, as my vehicle is my Castle and I have a right to defend it without retreat. Let me know if you can be here in around 5 minutes, otherwise I will proceed."

Don’t most air tags have a very limited distance for recovery?

They have no limit to distance
1695354950261.png

Our neighborhood is normally pretty safe...very few fences (only those with pools basically).

Lots of people leave their bicycles, lawn tractors or expensive kid toys in their yards with zero issues...

However just once in a while we hear of someone trying to get into vehicles probably to take change...one guy had them go in his truck and not touch anything other than some change in his center console even though he had a GPS and other shiny things in there....
Same here. I have been told since cell phones. Gps’s are worthless. Change usually. But once my prescription RayBans. Ouch but joke on them

Back