For distribution from explosive safety officer

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Thought I would pass this around...

Not only good info for military. but anyone and everyone who works with any type of explosives or ammunition

For distribution from Explosive Safety Officer

Hey Folks........Here is one of a thousands of reasons we (the Navy) have an Inert Ordnance Program.....

Please Read & Heed.........More Command info at end of article.......

PLEASE PASS THIS EMAIL UP & DOWN YOUR COMMAND / DEPARTMENT.......

Exploding Paperweight costs teacher his hand, Tuesday, April 4, 2006;
Posted: 5:47 p.m. EDT (21:47 GMT)

VENTURA, California (AP) -- A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of
his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say. The 5-inch-long shell
exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms
and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.
The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk,
said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said
Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

And In Closing..........Throughout the Navy, a number of accidents have occurred involving explosive materials in
displays and training items, which were thought to be inert or non-explosive items. Ordnance items displayed as
souvenirs or decorative item have been discovered, to in fact be "LIVE" items, which presented unnecessary exposure
to the civilian and/or military communities.

The Navy's policy on inert ordnance displays is specific in that only inert ordnance "shall be used for drill or training
purposes, displays (public or otherwise), demonstrations, public or otherwise, demonstrations, public functions, or
other patriotic occasions."

If you have any inert ordnance items displayed and these items have NOT been verified, certified
and are contained on the Inert Ordnance Display Inventory, maintained by the station's Explosive Safety Officer (ESO), you are required to contact the ESO to schedule
an appointment to have ALL inert ordnance display items verified and certified as "INERT".

ALL HANDS are encouraged "NOT TO HIDE" or "TAKE HOME" ordnance related items that are not properly inspected
and certified as "INERT".

Remember: All inert ordnance items, except those permanently displayed on plaques, are property of the U.S. Government.

IF YOU SUSPECT OR ARE UNSURE THAT AN ORDNANCE ITEM IS HAZARDOUS, LIVE OR ARMED,
IMMEDIATELY CONTACT THE EXPLOSIVE SAFETY OFFICER (ESO) .

Ouch! Stuff like that keeps me employed at the Explosive Ordnance Device Tech. Division.

crazy.gif
that had to hurt

I guess I should give back that AT-4 I have in my basment that I have been using as a post hole digger.
biggrin.gif
Only kidding!

So uh... Maybe I should hand in the couple of clymores and them boxes of .50cal???

How about I just send em' Fed Ex. You know how they love this kinda stuff...

Back