Flag

Not trying to imply that I endorse Flag Burning in any way, If I saw someone lighting up a Flag I just might come unglued and exercise my right to beat the poop outta some folks.  But in a way, when I see protesters out there bitching (and I agree most of them are just mentally impaired) and maybe light up a flag it just reminds me of what a great country this is and I think about all the sacrafices and suffering that our troops have made over the centuries to make that ultimate act of dissention possible.  Does that make sense?  I agree it's disrespectful but I still get a little warm fuzzy knowing that the dumbass burning it will be able to go home that night without worrying about big brother arresting him at his home that night.

MikeyUSF shared an anecdote with me a while back about a protest going on at USF during the Persion Gulf War V1.0.  There was one ROTC guy standing in amongst the protesting dipshits holding a sign that said "The soldiers and Government of the United States have killed and died to make your protest possible"  that is what I am talking about.  

Or maybe I just tell myself this so I do not go home, grab my Springfield Arms M-14 and give the protestors something to really bitch about...
laugh.gif
  <--- IT's a joke folks...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074266045 -->

Never even thought you'd endorse something like that, Rev. And I can see how you "tolerate" such things (you kinda have to, you can't go around killing every moron on the street ... it would take ages to get anywhere that way
wink.gif
), kinda like how I "tolerate" people who cut me off.
Ignorance however is not an excuse. Having an outspoken opinion on certain matters means you have thought things through! I mean, some of those people even believed Mohammed Saoud Al Sahhaf (that guy who constantly claimed the Iraqi army had "crushed the Americans"), and if they are ignorant enough to believe such things, then what on earth makes them think they even have a balanced perspective on the entire situation?

And I love that anecdote. Next time there's an anti-american protest, instead of just wishing they'd die a slow, painful death, I'll go stand in between them, holding a nice large board reading: "This protest was made possible by the sacrifices of American soldiers during WWII ... you bunch of ingrates"

I know that its a symbol but ole Glory stands for many things! For an American to burn the flag is just as serious to me as someone trying to take my gun out of my hand! I know that I would go to jail but I absolutely guarantee that I would intervene if I observed in person our flag being disgraced like that. Jail ain't so bad (short term) I would support anyone who stood in the way of a person who confronted a protester burning the flag. I would pay the bail for someone if they stepped in the way. I think that our citizens have forgotten how to stand up and face what we all know as being wrong. I think that if you had just one person confront a protester other more quiet citizens would come to the aid of the first. Courage is standing up when you are afraid and doing the right thing anyway, courage can be contagious. There is absolutely no reason for an American citizen to EVER burn the flag... You can be as mad as you want at the President, burn the flag and prepare for an old fashioned ass whoopin. Being politically correct is only good so long, nothing stops stupidity quite as fast as a knuckle sandwhich. Regardless if you agree or disagree with me thats the way I feel, just dont test the theory and burn a flag and all will be well.

Captain

Edit: what I really wanted to say was:
It's nice to know, that when the going gets tough, there's at least one country that has the guts to take out the trash. And unlike what the media may be spouting, it is very much appreciated.
True enough !! It's just so sad that when the "trash is being taken out" so are so many innocent civilian lives !! That is the unspoken tragedy of the whole thing ....

It's just so sad that when the "trash is being taken out" so are so many innocent civilian lives !! That is the unspoken tragedy of the whole thing ....
I agree, but how many innocent have died due to INACTION instead of action? Imagine the US had never intervened during WWII? Would the killing have stopped at 60 million? Just look at what happened in the Balkan region. Had the UN been as "aggressive" as NATO was, thousands of innocent civilians would be alive today. Same goes for the greater part of Africa. How many people die there on a daily basis, even in close proximity of UN-soldiers. And why are those UN-soldiers under orders to defend ONLY themselves?

Sometime the most peaceful solution is a swift military intervention.

I saw this on Labusas and thought it was only fitting in this forum

1_4_32.gif

I could never stand by and watch someone burn our flag. Although people have the "right to burn the flag", it is definately a right I don't agree with. Too many Americans have bled and died, for what our flag stands for stands. I am a retired Marine. I guess thats its pretty obvious where I would stand on flag burning. When I was in Viet Nam we had a huge rocket attack, and when it was over, I looked up and saw that our flag was still blowing in the wind. It was a bit tattered, but it was still there, standing for many things I hold dear. I spent many years traveling the world in the Marine Corps, and saw many other countries of the world. Believe me, this is the best one in the world. I know I am "gung ho", but I do love my country. Cap, I definately agree with you on the flag burning....

Agreed Captain.

Teaching school and doing the Cubmaster thing, try to teach reverance to the young'uns. Too many of them do not appreciate what it means.

Back