First High Speed Wobble (Tank Slapper)

sounds like someone needs to work on their ergonomics and weight positioning. There are ways to reduce this and keep the wheel down with more power than you have. just because you're pulling the wheel doesn't mean you're going fast.

be safe people.

sounds like someone needs to work on their ergonomics and weight positioning. There are ways to reduce this and keep the wheel down with more power than you have. just because you're pulling the wheel doesn't mean you're going fast.

be safe people.
yeah your right, Rather then being in the tucked in the tank paint I should have been siting on the gas tank with my legs over the handlebars shifting with my left arm. Thank you.
OK to the others, it was more of a shimmy back and forth about 6 x's. After thinking about it I think it was due to the tire skimming trying to Get up to Speed with the actual motorcycle.
I am going to take this persons advice, iif the idea of postioning my weight correctly doesnt work I am heading to play World to buy a 50lb bag of sand to lay over the front fender then I can be fast!
Posted via Mobile Device

yes, i have had several head shakes but not full tank slapper.

at 100mph + on bumpy country roads and with strong side winds, i did it today at 140:whistle:, i guess i was pulling too hard on throttle side if bars, noticed strong head flick and then immediatly self centred again

I didn't have any vibrations but my bearings were shoy at 30k+ miles . if I let the hadlebars go it would start a shake bad tahts why I asked how many miles was on his bike . and the stock dampeners aree a joke so 90 weight oil helps smooth out the bars nice anyway .

It's just headshake, perfectly normal if the bike is set down crossed up, even the slightest bit. No need to mess with the dampner and if the wheel was out of balance there'de be a vibration.:beerchug:

You can get a brick (the ones they use for speed runs) or strech it out a couple inches . that keeps my front planted . I started to like wheelies to much and knew I as going to press my luck one to many times .:laugh:

yeah your right, Rather then being in the tucked in the tank paint I should have been siting on the gas tank with my legs over the handlebars shifting with my left arm. Thank you.
OK to the others, it was more of a shimmy back and forth about 6 x's. After thinking about it I think it was due to the tire skimming trying to Get up to Speed with the actual motorcycle.
I am going to take this persons advice, iif the idea of postioning my weight correctly doesnt work I am heading to play World to buy a 50lb bag of sand to lay over the front fender then I can be fast!
Posted via Mobile Device

the difference between sitting straight up and leaning forward is huge as far as weight distribution goes. Buy a set of scales and prepare to blow your mind.

A small wobble on set down like that sounds like headshake, no big deal. Tank slap is full bar stop to bar stop back and forth violently, and seldom saved. :beerchug:

Oh so true!

Head shake is common and the bike will straighten itself out by design while the feared tank slapper is rarely saved and no aftermarket damper nor heavy oil will save your butt.

Keep the front wheel straight on set down and you won't have this problem.

IMO the very best insurance for saving a tank slapper is to install stick on wheel weights on the bar stops. This restricts the amount of front wheel travel from side to side. It takes a little practice to get the hang of slow manuvers and the steering will not lock with the key but it works better than any aftermarket damper at avioding the tank slapper snake! :beerchug:

This is what happens in a tank slapper

headshake just happens when you come down with the front tire a little out of line. It kinda wakes you up the first couple times it happens but you get over it... tank slapper, you dont get over it, you get off it, lol

Back