First High Speed Wobble (Tank Slapper)

Had my first tank slapper on my 09. Felt like I was back on my VMAX. I removed the noise reducer on my Akrapovic system and figured I would give a test ride. Jumped on the the on ramp for the interstate and I was clear for take off:thumbsup: Rolled it on up she came starting at 35 mph hit 2nd she is still up through 2nd:cheerleader: hit 3rd around 110 and the front wheel is real light skimming the ground and all of a sudden.... Ohhhhh chit here we go... )))))WOBBLE WOBBLE WOBBLE(((( real violent I let off the gas and whack it WOT and she smoothed out.

Anyone else have this happen to them when carrying the front wheel over 100?

I am guessing the tire came slightly off the ground and was a tad off center in the direction you were heading when it touched back down:dunno:

never happened to me before

I've landed the front tire before in the 110-120 range (chasing TwoBrothersBusa :poke:). It wasn't quite centered up, but just snapped right into place. My front tire skips along the ground under acceleration all the time, but has never even hinted at going out of control. My Honda 919 used to get squirrelly at about 140 (indicated), but it didn't have a stabilizer.

Glad you got through it alright.

A small wobble on set down like that sounds like headshake, no big deal. Tank slap is full bar stop to bar stop back and forth violently, and seldom saved. :beerchug:

I never carry the wheel over 100, so no. Worst slapper I have ever had was on a dirt road when I hit a patch of dense porridge like mud at about 40. It was like a slapper in slow-mo, no idea how I managed to save it. That was on an old ride :laugh:

Buy Now: GPR V4 Sport Steering Stabilizer | Great Prices & Fast Shipping!

ekz_h_org.jpg

ekz_h_org.jpg

the busa does come stock with a stablizer, however pashnit is right that gpr is much better, But I have never had or came close to a tank slap on my 07 or my 08,

I've never carried the wheel going that slow so i wouldn't know :laugh:

But seriously if you replace the stock damper with one like Pashnit posted or an Ohlins in the factory position it will help.

A small wobble on set down like that sounds like headshake, no big deal. Tank slap is full bar stop to bar stop back and forth violently, and seldom saved. :beerchug:
Absolutely agree. A true tank slapper will not stop if you slow down as this did. The wobble would have become more violent and you'd have come off for sure. The wheel was simply not pointing in the same direction as the bike when it came down. With the geometry of the busa together with the steering damper, a true tank slapper would be a rare thing indeed.

And Blanca and Pashnit know their stuff, but assuming you don't plan to routinely lift the wheel at 100mph the stock damper is fine.

Absolutely agree. A true tank slapper will not stop if you slow down as this did. The wobble would have become more violent and you'd have come off for sure. The wheel was simply not pointing in the same direction as the bike when it came down. With the geometry of the busa together with the steering damper, a true tank slapper would be a rare thing indeed.

And Blanca and Pashnit know their stuff, but assuming you don't plan to routinely lift the wheel at 100mph the stock damper is fine.

Even an aftermarket dampner won't prevent a tankslapper.
I've had many a headshake, and one tankslapper at very high speed years ago(speedo was passing 140mph in 6th on a zx7, so at least 120mph realistically, front tire lifted about 6" cresting a hill).
Here but by the grace of GOD go I. Even the rear wheel was lifting and hopping, the impact was so harsh that it flipped the kill switch.
A great experience none the less!:thumbsup:

replace the stock dampiner with 90 wieght . Check your wheel balance , and depending on how many miles you have on the bike you may need new front bearings

replace the stock dampiner with 90 wieght . Check your wheel balance , and depending on how many miles you have on the bike you may need new front bearings

It's just headshake, perfectly normal if the bike is set down crossed up, even the slightest bit. No need to mess with the dampner and if the wheel was out of balance there'de be a vibration.:beerchug:

Back