Finding the confidence...

Goatkart

Registered
So, does anyone have a pointer or two, to find the confidence i am missing?

What im talking about is in turns...

I get so far layed over in a turn, before i get the spooky feelings where i wonder are my tires heated up enough, is there sand, dirt etc...

The chicken strips are about 3/4 in wide, so i obviously have more left in the tire....

So, im certain i just lack the confidence and feel for the bike still..

Remember, i came from a cruiser... so i already lean over a mile for what im used to...

Thanks for the pointers..

Trackday, trackday trackday....you will learn more about your motorcycle in one trackday than you will with YEARS of street riding...

I would recommend taking some riding schools from say, California Superbike school or other reputable programs. I agree that track days makes sense but once you have a firm foundation in the basics, you can use trackdays to practice those skills, that way you are reinforcing good habits. Good luck and be safe.

+1

Sign yourself up to a good racing school and you will learn so much in one day at the racetrack.....things you will use for the rest of your life.

Learn good form and practice, practice, practice. Even when hanging off I still use 100% of my tire, just because I ride a lot, which means I practice a lot.

Last edited:
Not necessary to spend big $$$ on a racing school at first. Much less for a trackday and many of them provide free instruction by good riders. After the basics and you conquer your fears (I'm still working on that part) then a race school would only take your skills further.

I disagree with the track day. Unless you can rent a bike that you are most likely going to crash, I wouldn't do it. You will probably either lay your bike down or crash it on that track day, so I wouldn't do it.

You will get all the confidence you need by just continuing to ride in the twisties and building up your speed as you go little by little.

You can't just throw someone on the track and expect them to come out a professional, which I don't think that is what people are saying. Buy more likely than not, you will crash your bike on that track day and to me that just isn't worth it.

The reason I say you will crash is that you are already scared to death of the turns now, add speed to that on the track and you have a recipe for disaster.

The reason I say you will crash is that you are already scared to death of the turns now, add speed to that on the track and you have a recipe for disaster.

That's why you go to race school first....learn from the pros and then practice what they have taught you at your own trackdays later.

I have lived in Flattsville Sofla too long.
Any farther than kickstand angle and I wet my pants !
:laugh:

So, does anyone have a pointer or two, to find the confidence i am missing?

What im talking about is in turns...

I get so far layed over in a turn, before i get the spooky feelings where i wonder are my tires heated up enough, is there sand, dirt etc...

The chicken strips are about 3/4 in wide, so i obviously have more left in the tire....

So, im certain i just lack the confidence and feel for the bike still..

Remember, i came from a cruiser... so i already lean over a mile for what im used to...

Thanks for the pointers..

HAHAHAHA..........Me too !!!!!!!!!! Cruisers will ruin ya'. I still have the willies. Hopefully my new Angels will inspire me to let it hang out. I have to wear out the shinkos first, 200-300 miles more.

time in the seat will help the most...i just found some good curves close to my house and did them over and over, week after week, month after month until i felt more comfortable and one day i realized i didn't have any strips remaining...i probably could have done it faster with controlled conditions and experienced teachers but it has worked for me...i also ride with people that are better than me every chance i get and try to follow their lead and watch their set-up and lines :beerchug:

Thanks for the pointers...

As nice as a trackday might be, the crashing thing is a concern, i only have one bike, and dont need any costly repairs right now.... and i live in iowa....

Did i mention i live in iowa?

Anyhow, seat time has certainly helped, i have a couple s curves that i am fairly comfortable with, and know pretty well, that i will push myself a little harder each time... if i get the hibbie jibbies, i back off until i get comfortable again...

right now i have 2 problems i am activly wrangling...

1) willing myself to lean further than i ever really needed to with the cruisers... my body keeps trying to sit itself up when it gets over so far...

2) maintaining that smooth throttle through the turn...

I may not be able to take you guys on a track, but I'll smoke all of you on a nice slow sunday cruise!!!

except maybe aussie... :)

:rofl:

If someone can tell me how to compress this Sport Riding Techniques book I have, I can tell you it helped me TONS!

But practice, practice, practice.

Speed riding is all about smooth....ALWAYS stay smooth. Pick your place in the corner visually and don't deviate from that line. Lean your body with the corner - don't try and stay upright - don't keep your head straight - move your body into and with the corner. Little tiny bits of movement - all the time - nothing fast or drastic - smooth.....Start the corner by hugging the tank with your knees then move your head - on purpose - into the corner then follow it with your body - into the corner.. The bike will follow. Until you get confident with your equipment - don't over drive it. With hot tires and a decent suspension setup the Busa will wipe the chicken strips right off and leave you looking for more. Look for places that where the road is clean first. Scope them out and then come back and do them under throttle. Have fun! It's a riot! I NEVER ride outside my comfort zone - but my zone is different than yours I'm sure.

Thanks for the pointers...

As nice as a trackday might be, the crashing thing is a concern, i only have one bike, and dont need any costly repairs right now.... and i live in iowa....

Did i mention i live in iowa?

Anyhow, seat time has certainly helped, i have a couple s curves that i am fairly comfortable with, and know pretty well, that i will push myself a little harder each time... if i get the hibbie jibbies, i back off until i get comfortable again...

right now i have 2 problems i am activly wrangling...

1) willing myself to lean further than i ever really needed to with the cruisers... my body keeps trying to sit itself up when it gets over so far...

2) maintaining that smooth throttle through the turn...

I may not be able to take you guys on a track, but I'll smoke all of you on a nice slow sunday cruise!!!

except maybe aussie... :)

:rofl:

OK, that's it..........I'm puttin' ape hangers on tomorrow..........

Back