Finally!

ItsPaul

Registered
So,
After several months and a bike later I finall brought the 1999 I have been looking at home.
I posted on here about it several months ago and it sold and quickly returned to the dealer.
Sat for a long time waiting for a fuel tank etc and it was brought back to life about a month ago. The idea of having the non governed , first year model grew on me and finally I wasnt going to let it go.
Sold my recently acquired Vrod and grabbed it...
I only have a couple poor phone pics as of yet (im battling the flu and just got it home and went back to bed.)
After all the dust settled It has brand new Michelin pilot powers,new pump, new filter, fuel hoses, rollover valve etc. fresh service.. 5800 miles on it... Wound up about 4500 OTD...
Old school 2-Bros boltons and a center stand...
I found a mismatched black hump to put on it till I find the Saturn Metallic one.
b55h11.jpg

adghhz.jpg

14war2x.jpg

Thanks!

I cant wait to get back on my feet and get a good ride in....
First mod on the list I think will be the starter upgrade so I feel better.
Been commuting in the cage for too long now.

Nice bike. :thumbsup:

I hope you can get another ride in before it's stolen.
Leaving it in a space with no doors and exposed to thieves it may not be there long.
Many people have had their bike stolen when they thought they were safe.

It's your bike and you can do what you want - but you have been warned.

Nice bike. :thumbsup:

I hope you can get another ride in before it's stolen.
Leaving it in a space with no doors and exposed to thieves it may not be there long.
Many people have had their bike stolen when they thought they were safe.

It's your bike and you can do what you want - but you have been warned.

Ive had 4 bikes previously with no problems.. It will normally be pinched in front of the car and under a cover.. And its directly underneath me.. Hopefully all will be ok

:thumbsup: Nice!

Don't worry to much about it getting stolen. Just keep it covered and locked up (steering locked, disc lock front and rear) and keep it insured. I kept bikes on the sidewalk in front of an apartment for a few years before I had a garage and never had an issue.

The 1999 is plagued with fueling issues due to external fuel pump. Even with a new fuel pump it will probably still cut out and die on you.
I have added a low pressure secondary fuel pump in order to feed the primary pump and in two years and long trips it has never been an issue since.

Enjoy the new bike

BB

Hmmmm I have done a lot of research on the 99... I never heard of that one...
Thanks for the heads up... If it has any issues I wont be as alarmed now. So far it just seems a little grumpy idling cold for a few seconds... Im hoping a few tanks of Chevron Super will get it past the sitting for months at the dealership

Also,

If you use a regular lead acid battery and voltage gets low your starter case will crack upon kickback.

Shnitz sells a case protector and I STRonGLY recommend a Lifo battery to avoid the low voltage starting issue.

Good luck

BB

THAT I do know about and its first on the list to get the '03+ starter parts.
I thought about the case saver but would feel better just putting the better starter system in place....
As for the CCT It has the recall done but I am tempted to do the manual one or the newer hydraulic but I couldnt find in the searches the specific work to be done to go from spring to hydraulic...

But YES the starter issue is first on the list!... Thanks BUSABIM
In fact I got the dealer to put a 12 month warranty on it (that would cover the starter damage) so I can sleep till the starter mod is done)...

About the lithium battery..
Are there any negatives to them (aside from cost)?

NONE, one caveat I found out on a 4000 mile trip. The regulator must put out at least 14.5 volts to charge battery fully or battery will die on you. You can always carry the small ( stark) charger to top it up. A regular lead acid charger can fry a LIfo battery if voltage goes above15 volts.

Starting is twice as good when fully charged.

BB

Ok...Cool.. Thanks BB
Will bust out the Fluke and see what kind of voltage I'm getting to the battery under a little rpm... If its in the 14+ range maybe that will be mod 2...
I know in the RC world the lithium (not ions) are awesome and light but tempermental as hell... Have to assume the auto industry will put out a more forgiving cell design..

Back