Fast idle lever not staying open

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
Bought an '05 with heli-bars already installed. Fast idle cable was re-routed between the 2 tank bolts for additional cable clearance. The fast idle lever moves and works, but will not stay in the open position without keeping your thumb on it.
It's like whatever provides the resistance to free movement within the lever no longer works. It wants to move back to the normal riding position. Just hoping to get some sort of idea what I'm looking for when I tear it down.
Going to put the factory bars back on, and would like to have what I need to make it right while I'm there. Anybody have an idea on this?

Thanks for any insight.

Have you checked your fast idle adjusting screw
rock.gif
? It may be loose
wink.gif
. The system is a real simple cable pull friction unit. I would just follow the line from the throttle adjustment area and make sure everything is tight and set up correctly.
biggrin.gif

Have you checked your fast idle adjusting screw
rock.gif
? It may be loose
wink.gif
. The system is a real simple cable pull friction unit. I would just follow the line from the throttle adjustment area and make sure everything is tight and set up correctly.
biggrin.gif
cool, I guess I wasn't sure if the friction was applied at the bar control, or down at the throttle body, or air intake; wherever the cable leads to.
If it is applied at the bar, that piece looks to be combined into one unit with the left turn signal, horn and passing light switch.
I guess I would have to replace the unit as a whole!?!?
If that's the case, I wanted to have the replacement in hand when I removed the bar.

Thanks for your help!

Crap...

I just re-routed my idle cable for the installation of my helibars and when I had the clutch side housing open to remove the cable, "stuff" fell out. The ONLY thing I found was a spring (other than the idle lever itself). I put it back in where it's supposed to go with the little piece of metal with the screw to hold it in. I adjusted all my cables and they're all good. They're not over tight and not loose.

Was there anything attached or combined with the spring? Another bloke in another thread asked a member to open their clutch side housing, but no one did. Can someone please advise or open their own to see what I'm missing?

YES, I know this thread is almost six years old. It is apparent I know how the search function works. No, I didn't feel the need to create a new thread! :thumbsup:

I'm another victim to this. Installed helibars, lever won't stay open. Tried mounting on oem stock bars and same issue. There's a trick of some sort to this and I'm just not smart enough to understand it

I'm another victim to this. Installed helibars, lever won't stay open. Tried mounting on oem stock bars and same issue. There's a trick of some sort to this and I'm just not smart enough to understand it
Yah simple don't use it, I've never used it or needed it I'm not sure why they added it? For -40c start ups?

You can adjust the cable guide and tighten things up. Check linkage also while you're in there.

Find the manual and the adjustment section for your high idle lever.

Back