Extra Oil in Engine

mike1180

Banned
I have been surfing around and have come across a couple of sites where the racers advocate adding an extra amount of oil to the engine. The theory is that at high revs there is a lot of oil up in the top of the engine, and a little extra eliminates the chance of oil starvation, especially in the corners. I have a high volume oil pump gear so I am moving extra oil anyway, so I will have even more up top at high revs. When the engine is running, the level goes down in the viewing window, so oil is being taken from the sump and moved throughout. I looked around in there when I changed the oil gear, and after the engine is running it looked to me like it should be able to take 1 more quart without a problem.
One site said to put 2 extra quarts in but that seems too much.
1 extra quart will add a lot of extra cooling also.
Any thoughts?

Mike A

been to a few sites that advocate that as well.... never actually tried it.

I do know that for street use, when ever I see an engine with too much oil in it, there is also usually engine oil in the breather system... any drag race experts out there?

I wouldn't add extra oil. I would simply add a swinging, or pendulum style oil pick-up. This will allow the pick-up to move to the rear of the oil pan when you accelerate.

Extra oil can can serious problems.

I road a bike (81 Suzuki 750) that had too much oil in it (2 quarts over). It shuddered and shook. I felt bad for the engine.

Revv is right on the money... if you are going to run extra oil I would only do so with 1. a swinging pickup 2. an oilpan designed to carry more oil... if you froth (foam) the oil you can/will kill a motor

If the motor is holding too much oil up top, there are better fixes than adding more..

Picking advice off a site that advocates it is asking for trouble IMO...

to much oil is bad.

I'm sure the drag guys running 1" pans have the most to worry about when it comes to starvation since their capacity is alot less then guys running stock pans. I still wouldn't over fill the engine with oil.

per daveO's direction i run 4 quarts in my motor. i wonder if that might be holding me back?
rock.gif

My builder INSISTED that I run 4 qts also, so I have been ever since I got my 1397 back. It does have the high volume oil pump gear but still OEM pan.

Thoughts?

Back