extra hole on new fairing panel

holla

Registered
Hi all, i just bought my first busa after having been riding for 25 years and now having 9 bikes in the garage. The busa i bought is a 1999 red/black. Its very nice with only 3200 miles from new (all mots to prove mileage) Today i picked up a few bits to get it back to showroom condition:

- new rear mudgaurd ( the one on had been cut down)

- new front mudgaurd (damaged)

- right mirror ( badly scuffed)

- right fairing panel ( one on had been repaired and laquered over,not a nice job really)

All was going well until i started to fit the fairing panel when i noticed it had an extra hole at the bottom approx 4 inches behind the original hole at the bottom front of the fairing. After looking at lots of pics of 99 models some have this extra screw on both sides and some dont. After looking at a parts list on cms website it lists a bracket the joins both fairing panels together ( under exhaust manifolds) to stop fairings from bulging outwards.

So i now have one panel with an extra hole, i dont know whether to try the dealer to see if they can get hold of a panel without this hole, or get the bracket and bolts and drill the opposite panel to accomodate it.

My only doubt is that the hole on the new panel is strengthened around it wheras the one i drill would not, it would just be a plain hole. I'm worried that over a period of time it may crack around the hole i drilled ??

Have any of you come across this and what would you do in my position.

Thanks

Ian

I don't remember that hole being braced any different on the new style fairings. I would just buy the bracket and drill the hole to install it. Some of the fairings were coming apart on the lower section so suzuki installed it on later bikes. It's nothing to worry about... :beerchug:

You talking about this screw?

If so, just purchase the bracket and a couple screws and drill the second hole.

Screw.jpg

Screw.jpg

Thats the one omslaw, Looks like i'll have to get hold of the bracket and measure very carefully before i drill.

The fairing does bow slightly so the bracket should keep it together nicely. Wish me luck.

Just bolt up the pre-drilled side and make it flush inside with the other side. Mark it from the inside and before you drill, measure the drilled side to make sure it's on point... ;)

:welcome: i too have a red/black 99 and love it :bowdown: where bouts you from only you mentioned cms ,
just curious

get the bracket...put a screw through the bracket backwards(u can reach up undernieth to do so) and use the screw to mark on the back side of the fairing where it touches then take off and drill very slowely

I have the same problem with my bike. The extra hole on mine is from where they had to move it to get it around the header for the full exhaust.

Back