extended arm brake question

FTMFW

Registered
im at a loss here. without seeing pictures of a setup i just cant figure this thing out. ive gone from:

a stock arm with extensions (worked great, was a cheap start) that used the factory style brake bracket that just slid into the notch on the arm. no issue there.

a factory arm, extended 6" (again, stock brake bracket, no issue.)

now im putting on an "evil" swingarm, i got it installed but never used, no pictures/instructions. ive got the arm mounted, had to scavenge some parts from my genI project as they changed bushing diameter in like 04-05 on the suspension knuckle, so i didnt have the right sleeve. got that figured out, everythings bolted up. now for the life of me i cant figure out how to assemble the rear axle/brake/brake bracket properly. can anyone help me out?

it seems the same design for macintosh/adams/hardcore/evil, it came with a triangle cnc'd bracket but ive got no idea how it goes together.

mods-im going to post this in the race section as well, i really need to get this figured out tonight!!!!

I ran an ADAMs arm previously. I removed it a while back so unfortunately I can't get you a pic.

Slide the axle through the wheel and caliper just like stock. Make sure the caliper is above/on top of the swingarm. There is no locating pin or bracket of any sort to worry about.

Now remove the bolt that is forward(in realtion to front and rear of bike) of the brake line banjo from the brake caliper. Locate the small aluminum triangle over this hole and reinsert the bolt, only finger tight. I don't recall if it uses the stock bolt or a replacement bolt that is longer.

Now rotate the caliper clockwise until the aluminum triangle sits flush to the swingarm.

Now you can tighten down the bolt that was previously finger tight.

With this brake setup your foot brake is only usable to stop forward motion. If you're sitting on a hill and try to prevent rolling backwards. The brake will rotate back and not stop you.

You can add several heavy zip ties or a heavy hose clamp through the Adams bracket and around the swingarm.

Not a close up pic. But you get the idea. This is my old Adams arm on a friends bike.

The evil arms brake is similar to the adams.
photo2.jpg

With this brake setup your foot brake is only usable to stop forward motion. If you're sitting on a hill and try to prevent rolling backwards. The brake will rotate back and not stop you.

You can add several heavy zip ties or a heavy hose clamp through the Adams bracket and around the swingarm.

I had to laugh when I read this last bit. It reminds me of a comment I heard a lot when I lived in Maine: "Yup, a little baling wire and duct tape and we'll fix that right up for yer."

I had to laugh when I read this last bit. It reminds me of a comment I heard a lot when I lived in Maine: "Yup, a little baling wire and duct tape and we'll fix that right up for yer."

It's sad but true.

When I had an Adams arm, I just dealt with it. I got used to only having my front brake on hills. But several friends have gone the other route.

For the price that you are paying for a swingarm that is no excuse not have have a rear caliper hanger or install instructions

Back