Exhaust Myths vs Reality

Tom,
Did you go out of business???   I hope not.[/QUOTE]

I closed shop and retired early to ride, and ride, and ride...
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

wink.gif

cool.gif

Welcome to the message board...!

If you mean factory quiet, nothing comes to my mind although there could be something available beyond my experience. Essentially all of the exhaust systems that increase power throughout the power band have straight-through mufflers but they are not all equally loud. I do not regard the BDE systems as loud at idle/small throttle openings but they get loud as throttle openings increase. Because of this trait, it is easy to control the loudness with the throttle. I am "loud" conscious when riding (because I prefer not to offend others unnecessarily). If an exhaust is loud at idle, it is always loud. Deeper sounding exhausts are typically less offensive than raspy exhausts--I don't like raspy.
smile.gif

For more opinions and greater exposure, you might try posting your question in or also.

BDE makes a stealth system. Correct me if i'm wrong but inside dia. of the muffler is smaller.

War Baby your piece is excellent. I would love to see a video on just how the flow works.

War Baby your piece is excellent.[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

I would love to see a video on just how the flow works.[/QUOTE]
Me too.

BDE makes a stealth system. Correct me if i'm wrong but inside dia. of the muffler is smaller.[/QUOTE]
For Hayabusa, I am only aware of these BDE systems:

1- Sidewinder
2- Generation 3
3- Generation 3 Megaphone

that hindle system sounds sweet!!!, nice and deep. heard it on the website.

is it good for what we're talking about here? i'd like midrange power, around town, short burst of speed. i'm not a top-end guy, more a 0-80 type of dude.

would the hindle system be good for me?

Early in this thead, I attempted to convey the role and importance of mid-range power for all aspects of riding. For those stated reasons, I'm a big fan of mid-range power (more so than peak power). The BDE systems increase both mid-range power and peak power. When properly installed/mapped/tuned, it's a win-win scenario for power addicts.
smile.gif

Thanks for your generous comments folks!
smile.gif
Thanks for the explanation of wave scavenging. It had been told to me before, but not in any understandable detail. So, you cleared up alot of questions. Also, you are still of the school of understanding that to pull off your exhaust and run "a straight header" with NO back pressure is a bad thing right? I run a turbo and that is back pressure enough, but I've seen guys on the street running around after having stripped their slip-ons off. I've heard doing that will cause catastrophic engine damage (valves bent and such).

is there a system that is quiet and still offers performance?
I have the Yoshimura RS-3 Zyclone cans. They are quiet and have a deeper sound than stock. They also have a little more flow for moderate performance gains (I think I got an extra 5-6 hp on the dyno after the mod. And I liked them so much that I piped them in after the turbo kit (I think I'm the only guy with a turbo and dual exhaust, people think I'm nuts though...)

Also, you are still of the school of understanding that to pull off your exhaust and run "a straight header" with NO back pressure is a bad thing right?  I run a turbo and that is back pressure enough, but I've seen guys on the street running around after having stripped their slip-ons off.  I've heard doing that will cause catastrophic engine damage (valves bent and such).[/QUOTE]

If the engine is properly tuned (mapped) for straight exhaust, there should be no damage resulting from minimal back pressure. By "straight exhaust" I mean at least having the headers installed (without mufflers or with straight-through mufflers).  
smile.gif

First off let me say Happy new year to all.
Now on to my question, Warbaby do you think there would be any benifit to wraping the exhaust system with Thermo-tec header wrap. Would the engine run cooler would it aid in the flow of exhaust gasses? any draw backs to using it?
Thank you.

Happy New Year!
smile.gif

If the exhaust tubes are made of Stainless steel (which has lower thermal transfer properties than mild steel), there will be minimal exhaust gas flow improvement from wrapping them. However, wrapping Stainless tubes might keep you and/or your fairing a little cooler. Exhaust gas heat, (and thus exhaust gas energy), is well-retained within Stainless tubes compared with mild steel tubes. The potential down-side to exhaust tube wrapping is accererated oxidation that can occur from water trapped in the wrapping material which turns to steam in very close proximity to the tube material. Most exhaust-grade Stainless tube alloys will rust, however slowly.

Because mild steel headers transfer heat to the ambient air more readily than Stainless, wrapping mild steel exhaust tubes does offer some flow efficiency increase but at the price of a higher rate of oxidation. Wet/steamed mild steel tubes will rust much faster. Like most other things, it's a trade-off decision.  
wink.gif

Well seeing how I dont wash my bike with water or ride in the rain I think I will wrap them to keep everything cooler dont like the idea of all that heat cooking everything around it.
Thanks for the quick reply and great info.

That was a good read. Very informative.

I have a couple of questions. First why did Suzuki go to the trouble of making the X crossover in the pipes? Seems like they could have just as easily run two pipes. The second question is (I thought of this the last time I read this post) why do top fuel dragsters always use a separate short pipe for each cylinder? Seems like they could benefit from the technology you describe.

That was a good read. Very informative.[/QUOTE]
Thank you!
smile.gif

I have a couple of questions. First why did Suzuki go to the trouble of making the X crossover in the pipes? Seems like they could have just as easily run two pipes. The second question is (I thought of this the last time I read this post) why do top fuel dragsters always use a separate short pipe for each cylinder? Seems like they could benefit from the technology you describe.[/QUOTE]
The crossover/balance/equalizer assembly spreads the torque more evenly (as opposed to a higher torque peak) within the low-to-mid RPM portion of the powerband. This increases average power which is a good thing.

Top fuel engines are typically supercharged at high PSI, and thus, "super-exhausted"... the exhaust gases are literally blown out of the cylinders during valve overlap. Plus, top fuelers only run at (or near) max RPM where the gas scavenging effects of a "tuned" exhaust offers virtually no flow gain. Why carry the unnecessary weight of longer exhaust tubes?  
race.gif

I just recently purchased a 2006 Hayabusa and even though I haven't had the oppurtunity to ride it yet here in NY, I am looking at exhaust options. I like the idea of 4 into 2 because of the look but also want performance. I've been looking at HMF and Muzzy on referals from others and now see that Warbaby is big on the idea of BDE. Now I'm really confused on what to get. I'm looking at adding a BMC race filter and Dynojet USBIII powercommander as well. Everyone that I've talked with say that I will benefit more with the 4 into 1 as opposed to the twin pipes and it makes sense but is there enough of a gain with a 4 into 1 to give up the more stock look of twin pipes? Help me out here guys, it's getting close to Daytona and I'm looking at taking my first ride in Florida during bike week.<span style='color:royalblue'></span>
1zhelp.gif

Back