Exhaust choice dillema...

This is where I'm at guys: In the next couple of days I'm going to do something (I'm no exactly sure what) with my stock exhaust system. If I'm making an investment upwards of $1200 for an aftermarket pipe,jet kit, etc. I wanna make sure I'm happy with what I get. I don't want to have to replace it with something else down the line. My main concerns are sound, appearance, H.P. increase, and cost(in that order). I also spoke with someone about a turbo kit for about $4K. If you guys could give me your opinions based on my wants/needs I'd greatly appreciate it. I would also consider slip-ons if that's the way to go. Please specify brands and approx. cost. Also, bare in mind I will be paying a shop to do my work.

[This message has been edited by Squid Vicious (edited 26 December 1999).]

Squid, one of the hardest parts to locate is a competent shop. Speak with them and see what they offer in mod packages that offer installation and tuning, as you have read on this site some people have had good luck with local dealers and others have felt the "heat" in the wallet by nationaly known shops(SuperBike _ike).

Slip ons are a fine way to make your bike sound better, minimal if any power gains.
Of thew bikes I have heard the Two Brothers sound the best.

The drilled stock cans still sound anemic.

The Akrapovic pipe is supposed to net the most power over the others ( still only marginal gain over the other full systems)

I have a Yosh ti system and I am very happy with fit and finish, the ti will not corrode like the others and was part of my reason for choosing this pipe. Would I buy this pipe again? YES. But I would look hard at the Akrapovic.

Yoshimura has been very accomodating to my needs, as they constructed a high pipe bend with an O2 sensor adapter added at my request. You will not be calling slovenia for any thing like that.

Turbo, you have to find a good wrench to tackle that, as all these products are sopld as a bolt-on you must find someone to install and TUNE it. On the subject of turbo's I would wait a little longer and see what and WHO happens. The MC Xpress might be the cream of the crop, but lets see what MR. Turbo releases.

Find a good shop first!

Do the Two Brothers slip on cans
require any modification[re-map etc.]
or are they a simple "slip-on" that
may not add much power but do not cause
any power band drop out?

Going to an aftermarket single sided exhaust will drop about 50lbs off of the Hayabusa and add from 5 to 10 horsepower.The Busa doesnt have carbs so you wont need a jet kit.I would go with Akrapovic,Yosh or Micron.Also you will need to have the bike remapped with a Yosh box or a Power Commander.

50 lbs, no I don't think so. I weighed the stock system when I was installing my new exhaust, it was 30 lbs.

My yosh 4-2-1 ti was 7.5 lb, 30 - 7.5 = 22.5 lb savings.

Yes the 2-bros can requires f/i adjustment. Much back pressure is relieved. I had them installed, sound was a great low rumble, not really loud. My bike made 160 hp with the 2-bros carbon.

You can read for youself about my install on my mods web page:

http://fatman.pro-libertate.com/~jeffw/hayabusa/Exhaust/exhaust.html

[This message has been edited by jeffw (edited 26 December 1999).]

Gixxer, you did'nt really think that 50lbs would fly did you? Cmon bro...by the way, cant wait to ride with you. Dont be suprised if its the bird instead of the 12. Your probably thinkin oh thats even better, but wait till you see what I'm creating here.

Well I weighed my bike at the track and mine weighed in at 550lbs wet.A friend of mine weighed his and he has a Muzzy exhaust and bike weighed in at 500 lbs wet so i guess you can say the stock exhaust weighs about 40 to 43 lbs.Both bikes had about the same amount of fuel.

Konrad, from a cost/benefit perspective that's a wise choice in my opinion. When talking to a 2 Bros. tech. last April he said that + 2-4 hp was average for the slip-ons, since the stockers flowed surprisingly well.That's not a lot of hp for $600.
Having said that,they did improve the appearance a lot, and several poeple have stated that it has the best quality of sound they have ever heard on a 4 cylinder. Like I said, I'm happy, but if appearance and sound aren't really important, there's no way to justify the expense.

Gixxer1300R... How does the Muzzy sound? I'm curious because there are three Busas owners
here in D.C. that claim he Muzzy is he **** ... I was going wih the Ack, but I want
to be sure first. Reply.

Konrad, I have the Two Bros. single filament CF slip ons. The ones that have the subdued diamond pattern in the CF. They are similar in sound to the stockers, only much deeper toned and maybe 2 or 3 times louder. No "rap" at all. They are straight through with no baffles. Cosmetically they are gorgeous on the black Busa, but my "seat of the pants dyno" didn't detect any performance change.
PC 2 not necessary, just one minor tweak with the Yosh box to beef up the acceleration mode. No change to cruise or top end, and no mileage change.
Downside is that 2 Bros. warns not to do dyno runs or the cans may be damaged by the heat. My shop says no problem, that a fan takes care of that. I might chance a quick run to establish a base, but nothing prolonged. There is really no reason to do major dyno work with slip-ons. The busa stock exhaust goes from 4 into 2 into 1, then splits back into 2. The big restriction is where it goes from 2 into 1; you can see it under the bike. The slip ons can't do much about that bottleneck which is just in front of them. The 2 into 1 restriction is probably responsible for the incredible low end power, though.
If you want major power increases they will come primarily on top end, and to improve that you will need a full system. I may eventually go to a full ti system, but it mostly would be for the weight loss. The stock cans are surprisingly light. I saved only around 5 lb. with the change. Dumping the rest of the stock manifold would lighten it up another 15-20 lb. For now I'm happy with what I have.

SlowHand,
Thanks for the long and thoughtful
response to my question.You have saved
me a lot of expense and trouble. I'm
going to stick with the stock system.

Back