EV vehicles

More EV layoffs

I spoke to a construction person the other day at Home Depot, he said his boss added one of those Lightnings to the fleet hoping to save fuel costs.....he said it's not bad until you add one of their enclosed construction trailers on it......then the range drops like a stone......the boss has to actually force the guys to use it as they all avoid it like the plague...especially if they have to go to a work site out of town....

I spoke to a construction person the other day at Home Depot, he said his boss added one of those Lightnings to the fleet hoping to save fuel costs.....he said it's not bad until you add one of their enclosed construction trailers on it......then the range drops like a stone......the boss has to actually force the guys to use it as they all avoid it like the plague...especially if they have to go to a work site out of town....
Yep

A neighbor's brother has an EV and lives 4 hrs away....he and his family came here to visit him for Easter and had to stop to recharge along the way...the charger was at a spot where there was nothing to do, not even a restaurant so they pretty much just sat in the car for 45 mins while it charged....

He said that sucked....

He said that sucked....

Nothing shitz me more than when people you know tell you lies to protect their ego. Some would call this "accentuating the positive and not focusing on the negative". The glass half full BS. Neighbors years back came home from a holiday in India, What was it like I asked. I got ten minutes of chatter about the taj mahal and other touristy crap. Then I asked, "What was it really like" Well, out came all the angst about pickpockets and beggars and the constant stink of $hit and $hit in the streets, no toilet paper outside of hotels and on and on and on. "Would you ever go again" I asked. No way they said. Well if that's the case tell people the truth straight up and save them from making your mistake. They didn't like that and we didn't talk a lot after that. I was glad too, snobby modern young couple, one a brainless teacher.

Everyone seems to think Teachers are smart but they are just highschool students that passed their exams and came back to regurgitate the same stuff over and over. What we're up against in the world today is pathological liars, all running around protecting their egos, the world revolving around them. My last 3 or 4 cars had minor issues but never anything I would call a deal-breaker. EV's are deal-breakers off the showroom floor, a driving experience so different from normal it's like going back to the horse and buggy where if you push it hard you have to let the horse rest longer, and either way at the end of the day you have to lead it to the barn and let it recuperate over night.

average useful life of all horses is 8.8 years, and their average equivalent economic life is 10.6 years. Both estimates assume that horses are first placed in service and begin depreciating at age two. These findings are primarily based on an analysis of thoroughbred horses acquired as Yearlings.
... Treasury Report on the Depreciation of Horses

Sounds about the same as an EV doesn't it.

VINTAGE CAR SHOW-.jpg

People for the most part aren't buying into EV.....Ford announced it will delay opening an EV plant until 2027 as they project an EV sales slump and Tesla is in trouble right now....

Having an EV in my part of the world makes very little sense...even hybrids although somewhat better have so many limitations that they are almost useless when it comes to operating solely in EV mode. Most of them get less than 100 kms on EV mode which makes them useless around here as well.

My son has a Santa Fe hybrid and he uses it in EV mode as much as he can, it has a 70 km range in this mode and to maximize that he runs it without using heat in the winter...his daughters are wearing hats, mitts and winter coats and can see their breath when they go somewhere.....I told him that is no way to travel anywhere but he is adamite that he will only use EV mode as much as possible...interesting as where he lives they use fuel oil for electricity generation mixed with a bit of hydro electric.

Here in Australia the people are all still loading up. Sales have increased this year I believe. EV ownership, like vegetarianism, is more prominent among the middle-class. It doesn't hurt either that Australia has a lot of home solar installations. Australia leads the world in rooftop solar systems generating close to 10% of our electricity. Roughly one in three Australian households, more than 3.6m homes, now generate electricity domestically. So you can charge for free.

E skateboard looks like fun but I’d probably end up in the emergency room lol
There's a guy I see in the summer running around on an electric unicycle and he's really good on that thing.......and it goes along really quickly.

He asked me if I wanted to try it out but I declined saying that my old bones don't heal as fast these days and I'd be on my head in a second if I tried....

E-BIKES-s.jpg

Now for a future where conventional oil fields are depleting at 5~7% a year and governments across the Western world can't afford to maintain, let alone perform quality upgrades on key infrastructure like roads and electricity grids, these vehicles above make good sense. There is a practical limit to the size of anything. Launch vehicles, ships that want to ride the plane, and all manner of things, the same applies to the standalone electrification of vehicles. People will talk about the next generation of battery technology as though an amazing breakthrough is imminent but there is no evidence of that. They too have a practical limit, an energy density limit basically. As an example, there is news out this week about incremental improvements on Fusion power, that breakthrough has been 40 or 50 years in coming and we're still waiting.

I own an e-bike, very cool, a range of 50~60km on flat ground if you don't push it. Push it and wind resistance becomes the limiting factor. When riding it I rarely use the pedals, I could, I'm a cyclist, but it just doesn't feel natural so I typically go for the throttle lever and enjoy the view of the countryside, something impossible on a Hayabusa.. Once the battery depleted on me a few miles from home and what a bitch it was pedaling that beast back. Forget riding it up hills, it weighs a ton compared (Compared) to a typical bicycle. You get off and push it up hills. You could get used to that, probably no different to a bike and trailer rig. So I think the e-bike has a place in our future, it's at or around the practical limit of the technology.

When I say that I obviously don't mean you can't go bigger. But when you go bigger the cost-benefit equation rapidly becomes one sided. Cheap EV's? Well they were just beginning with those weren't they but the industry is collapsing in the face of the transition. Many manufacturers have been selling way below cost, a shell game of sorts. Wealthy people have been buying EV but not average people, they are a city toy, the equation being Cost = Range + weight essentially. And let's never forget the motivation behind the EV. A source of practical mobility when oil becomes too expensive due to depletion. But since the cars are made with oil and coal at every stage, and the majority recharged with coal fired plants or rebuildable technologies made from oil and coal, they will always be dependent on the same oil we run in our cars now. So even the Eco-rewards are blown out of the water. No wonder the industry is collapsing.

"According to a 2019 Geological Survey of Finland report, the world average decline rate on post-peak production is 5 to 7%, meaning that oil production could plummet to half its current volume in the next 10 to 14 years"
You don't want to know the latest figures, believe me.

View attachment 1681593

Now for a future where conventional oil fields are depleting at 5~7% a year and governments across the Western world can't afford to maintain, let alone perform quality upgrades on key infrastructure like roads and electricity grids, these vehicles above make good sense. There is a practical limit to the size of anything. Launch vehicles, ships that want to ride the plane, and all manner of things, the same applies to the standalone electrification of vehicles. People will talk about the next generation of battery technology as though an amazing breakthrough is imminent but there is no evidence of that. They too have a practical limit, an energy density limit basically. As an example, there is news out this week about incremental improvements on Fusion power, that breakthrough has been 40 or 50 years in coming and we're still waiting.

I own an e-bike, very cool, a range of 50~60km on flat ground if you don't push it. Push it and wind resistance becomes the limiting factor. When riding it I rarely use the pedals, I could, I'm a cyclist, but it just doesn't feel natural so I typically go for the throttle lever and enjoy the view of the countryside, something impossible on a Hayabusa.. Once the battery depleted on me a few miles from home and what a bitch it was pedaling that beast back. Forget riding it up hills, it weighs a ton compared (Compared) to a typical bicycle. You get off and push it up hills. You could get used to that, probably no different to a bike and trailer rig. So I think the e-bike has a place in our future, it's at or around the practical limit of the technology.

When I say that I obviously don't mean you can't go bigger. But when you go bigger the cost-benefit equation rapidly becomes one sided. Cheap EV's? Well they were just beginning with those weren't they but the industry is collapsing in the face of the transition. Many manufacturers have been selling way below cost, a shell game of sorts. Wealthy people have been buying EV but not average people, they are a city toy, the equation being Cost = Range + weight essentially. And let's never forget the motivation behind the EV. A source of practical mobility when oil becomes too expensive due to depletion. But since the cars are made with oil and coal at every stage, and the majority recharged with coal fired plants or rebuildable technologies made from oil and coal, they will always be dependent on the same oil we run in our cars now. So even the Eco-rewards are blown out of the water. No wonder the industry is collapsing.

"According to a 2019 Geological Survey of Finland report, the world average decline rate on post-peak production is 5 to 7%, meaning that oil production could plummet to half its current volume in the next 10 to 14 years"
You don't want to know the latest figures, believe me.
A regular pedal bike makes far more sense to me.....at least some of these slugs will be out getting a little exercise....

Around here a bylaw has been introduced banning e-bikes from being inside a dwelling.......many of them have caught fire.

A regular pedal bike makes far more sense to me.....at least some of these slugs will be out getting a little exercise....

Around here a bylaw has been introduced banning e-bikes from being inside a dwelling.......many of them have caught fire.
Aw come on Bee. You know EVs don't catch fire that much!

Aw come on Bee. You know EVs don't catch fire that much!
Years ago I had a young subordinate tell me he was saving the environment by using his e-bike...I told he'd save it a lot more if he pedaled instead of plugging it in to charge it and his body would thank him for the exercise....

View attachment 1681593
I own an e-bike, very cool, a range of 50~60km on flat ground if you don't push it. Push it and wind resistance becomes the limiting factor. When riding it I rarely use the pedals, I could, I'm a cyclist...
Or both. Pedal it as you would normally, use it when you need and the range increases a bunch, and you get exercise. I'm a cyclist, no Jellyfish but I hold my own, and E bikes make for a really fun experience. Makes you feel like Lance Armstrong.

Or both. Pedal it as you would normally, use it when you need and the range increases a bunch, and you get exercise. I'm a cyclist, no Jellyfish but I hold my own, and E bikes make for a really fun experience. Makes you feel like Lance Armstrong.
Those e-bicycles are heavy, you'd get a real work out pedaling them....

A neighbor has a small bicycle shop operating out of his garage and sold a model of e-bike.....he sold out really quickly..

There's an obese couple that live in the neighborhood who bought a couple and I've yet to see them pedal and they probably check the bicycling box when they see their doctor....

I know another guy who I see at the grocery store who has a small trailer he pulls around to do his shopping.....he lost his car license years ago so now the e-bike is his only way of getting around....I've seen him on it in the winter with studded tires on it...

Those e-bicycles are heavy, you'd get a real work out pedaling them....
Yes they are heavy but like anything, enertia is your friend. Once you’re under way it’s fine, and you’re not limited to pedal or assistance, you can do both simultaneously. I’ve ridden quite a bit on an old workmate’s e-bike, probably as much as he has lol. Cycling is either in your blood or not; doesn’t seem to be in his. The bike cost him about $800.

Yes they are heavy but like anything, enertia is your friend. Once you’re under way it’s fine, and you’re not limited to pedal or assistance, you can do both simultaneously. I’ve ridden quite a bit on an old workmate’s e-bike, probably as much as he has lol. Cycling is either in your blood or not; doesn’t seem to be in his. The bike cost him about $800.
That's pretty inexpensive....I think the ones the neighbor was selling were around $5k or so...

The other day he was out test riding a mountain bike that a customer brought in for a tune up.....he said the bike retails for $12K and had a carbon fiber frame and lightweight rims.....I asked if the guy was a competitive rider and he said he was just a recreational rider...

$12K? Crazy talk.......

That's pretty inexpensive....I think the ones the neighbor was selling were around $5k or so...

The other day he was out test riding a mountain bike that a customer brought in for a tune up.....he said the bike retails for $12K and had a carbon fiber frame and lightweight rims.....I asked if the guy was a competitive rider and he said he was just a recreational rider...

$12K? Crazy talk.......

I have four, but last competition was 2017, so I will probably not get some new bling. I think it is a matter of boys with their toys, UCI we may not go under 15 lbs, and I am close enough. I have officially converted to a recreational rider. When we do group rides, some folks who can't keep up arrive with e-bikes. The e is just used on difficult sections, such as hills, or if the group is doing a sprint. Those riders have the decency though to stay at the back of the group and just come along for the ride.

I built all my own bikes, parts from different countries and then I assemble the bike. Save a bit of money that way.

Back