EV vehicles

They’re not regulating the power level, just what they’re charging for it. If I use more than they think a home like mine should use they charge more but they don’t and have never reduced my power level.
I don't have the patience to go into a long detailed description of electrical distribution with you, you did not understand a word I typed.

You are correct, they do not regulate your power.

You have "on demand" electrical supply points in your home and "off demand" electrical supply points in your home. If they interupt an off demand supply for 30 seconds to 5 minutes, you will never know about it.

It is possible that you live in an old home, in an old suburb, but most new homes year 2000 onwards are supplied this way in California.

Sadly,

This thread is no longer educational and like was stated, has become a tire, chain, oil thread where opinions are the rule.

Well sort of, but the numbers are skewed. To read the last 5 pages you'd assume not 1% but 50% of the western world drives an EV. We're taking about a very small minority arguing for acceptance of their choices and demanding we make the same choices. It's like a lot of minority movements these days. If you speak out about them you're shouted down. If I questioned the EV 2 years ago it was because I was EV-hesitant, 1 year ago because I was EV-scared. Today I'm an EV-denier :laugh:

Well I'm not in the 1.4%, I'm in the 98.6% of the population that has chosen not to go down that route. And if I want to express why I'll damn well do so because I wont give up the freedoms the men before me fought so hard for. Both here and there.

-s.jpg

The Legend

Last edited:
You have "on demand" electrical supply points in your home and "off demand" electrical supply points in your home. If they interrupt an off demand supply for 30 seconds to 5 minutes, you will never know about it.
It is possible that you live in an old home, in an old suburb, but most new homes year 2000 onwards are supplied this way in California.

On checking I see that in California around 17% of the population live in apartments, nearly 7 million people. Many others park on-street outside houses too. All these don't have the luxury of a charge point beside their car, so for practical reasons, regardless of their income level, an EV is probably not a good choice for them.

LA

parking-downtown-la-01.jpg

parking-suburban la-01-s.jpg

What about wood? I use wood mostly, the A/C on the odd mornings when it wasn't cold enough to light the fire the night before.

On checking I see that in California around 17% of the population live in apartments, nearly 7 million people. Many others park on-street outside houses too. All these don't have the luxury of a charge point beside their car, so for practical reasons, regardless of their income level, an EV is probably not a good choice for them.

LA

View attachment 1680094

View attachment 1680095
Pretty much every major city is configured as "on street" parking being the norm.

And in many places if you ran an extension chord out to the car, it would be stolen.

So yeah whip out calculators and solve that part of the problem.

Pretty much every major city is configured as "on street" parking being the norm.

And in many places if you ran an extension chord out to the car, it would be stolen.

So yeah whip out calculators and solve that part of the problem.
Add to this all the underground parking garages and other public parking spaces...

I can see in the future, batteries will be rapid charged and maybe old gas stations can be retrofitted to charging stations......that is if the rapid charging can be as quick as filling a gas tank......

If the powers that be want EV to succeed, these sorts of things will have to addressed first......but they weren't so they are playing the game of catch up..........and failing......

I can see in the future, batteries will be rapid charged and maybe old gas stations can be retrofitted to charging stations......

Here old servos have the tanks pulled and the sites turned into retail and sometimes residential properties, lots of profit in that. The council in the burb I grew up in even bought one and turned it into a small park. Perhaps with the current battery technology they could built a short time motel on the site in conjunction with the chargers, like those Japanese ones you can rent a room for just a few hours. Then the charge thing might pan out better? You could add a resturant too for those who only want a quick recharge.

This is the part I really don't understand? With the massive shortage of charging points for all the EV out there, why the hell are many of the charge companies going under? You'd think they would be making out like bandits, it's not like the electricity they sell is cheap! Hey WuzzaCBX, can you or Red05 chime in and explain it for me, I'm spread a little too thin to grasp it.

EV charger leaders, ChargePoint (NYSE:CHPT) and Blink Charging (NASDAQ:BLNK) are also in big trouble. CHPT is down 84% over the last year, and BLNK is down 72%. ChargePoint’s CEO and CFO have resigned. Preliminary third-quarter 2023 results for ChargePoint were announced and they show a dramatic drop in revenue and margins for the quarter. Making things worse, ChargePoint wrote down $42M in inventory.

Stellantis and GM charging station partner goes bankrupt Link
EV Charge Station Maker Charge Enterprises Files Bankruptcy Link

Elons charge network is doing ok, just fine in fact. But we all know from his company history that it doesn't have to make a profit or even cover expenses. Tesla is a special case, sort of like a protected species.

Add to this all the underground parking garages and other public parking spaces...

I can see in the future, batteries will be rapid charged and maybe old gas stations can be retrofitted to charging stations......that is if the rapid charging can be as quick as filling a gas tank......

If the powers that be want EV to succeed, these sorts of things will have to addressed first......but they weren't so they are playing the game of catch up..........and failing......
If they adopt solid state, the recharge time would be reduced to minutes.

Here old servos have the tanks pulled and the sites turned into retail and sometimes residential properties, lots of profit in that. The council in the burb I grew up in even bought one and turned it into a small park. Perhaps with the current battery technology they could built a short time motel on the site in conjunction with the chargers, like those Japanese ones you can rent a room for just a few hours. Then the charge thing might pan out better? You could add a resturant too for those who only want a quick recharge.

This is the part I really don't understand? With the massive shortage of charging points for all the EV out there, why the hell are many of the charge companies going under? You'd think they would be making out like bandits, it's not like the electricity they sell is cheap! Hey WuzzaCBX, can you or Red05 chime in and explain it for me, I'm spread a little too thin to grasp it.

EV charger leaders, ChargePoint (NYSE:CHPT) and Blink Charging (NASDAQ:BLNK) are also in big trouble. CHPT is down 84% over the last year, and BLNK is down 72%. ChargePoint’s CEO and CFO have resigned. Preliminary third-quarter 2023 results for ChargePoint were announced and they show a dramatic drop in revenue and margins for the quarter. Making things worse, ChargePoint wrote down $42M in inventory.

Elons charge network is doing ok, just fine in fact. But we all know from his company history that it doesn't have to make a profit or even cover expenses. Tesla is a special case, sort of like a protected species.
the money isn’t in selling electrons yet. Most EVSE’s are trash. Rectification has been done for a long time but the environment and conditions in the EVSE application are not controlled. Ive had chargers that run forever in a lab but can’t handle outdoor applications. Real estate comes at a premium and the more dense you can make a product the more you can fit into a parking lot. Making things smaller require better thermal control as well as better PCB design/layout. All this comes at a cost either in equipment price or size of the equipment. Things are getting better on the charging side but power has always outpaced batteries in terms of how much power can be delivered vs accepted. MCS is a hot topic and there may be a flip in that equation.

Back to your point. Chargepoint nickel and dimes its operators for all services. The tech is not there in terms of reliability so either you pay to have it fixed or you have a charger that is broken. Warranties are trash and the most I’ve seen from any manufacture is 3 years - even those required a ton of maintenance throughout the warranty period.

Blink hinged its bets on AC charging and while the tech may be robust the ROI takes an extremely long time.

right now China is crushing it with reliability and cost per watt for power conversion. Big players are now integrating Chinese power stages in their design but there will be a shift once the cost per unit rises.

I would write more but I’m on a phone again, but there is so much more that can be said and/or explained. If anyone is seriously interested in how this stuff works or what’s “next” DM me

Last edited:

TESLA survives because Elon is pretty brilliant. He knew from day one it was the tech not the car is where the $$ is at. His own words.

He can make more $$ licensing the self driving and road mapping data than selling the cars he used to collect it in.

And he also outsmarted the hedge funds that shorted his stock. Which in itself makes him way smarter than most anyone.

He also to his credit, like it or not, is about trying to eliminate our dependency on fossil fuels. He has open sourced a lot of Tesla tech just to help the world adopt EVs cheaply and without having to re-invent a way from scratch.

He showed the world how to build car making factories more rapidly, by a LOT.

He has also contributed positively to production and assembly techniques that nobody else could. I wouldn't be shocked if he licensed giga press technology.

There is a lot I don't like about him, but he will always have my respect for the amazing accomplishments that are his alone to claim.

Back to your point. Chargepoint nickel and dimes its operators for all services. The tech is not there in terms of reliability so either you pay to have it fixed or you have a charger that is broken. Warranties are trash and the most I’ve seen from any manufacture is 3 years - even those required a ton of maintenance throughout the warranty period.

Blink hinged its bets on AC charging and while the tech may be robust the ROI takes an extremely long time.

So basically they are collapsing because they didn't think their business models through well enough. Or because they are shonky companies as we call them down here, just getting into the game for a quick profit, possibly from stock price appreciation and then out the back door. I would go with a combination myself, company directors and their CEO's cutting corners and fudging the prospectus to make themselves a golden parachute out a rising new trend. It seems to be the pattern now days unfortunately.

The climate change movement was big here a few years ago, under the Greta banner thousands of school kids took the day off to protest in the streets of our major cities. Out of morbid curiosity I watched the footage online, and not being a TV addict, I don't own one, I was able to see a few things others didn't and extrapolate the events of the day.

sydney-school-strike-climate change-s.jpg

The first thing I noticed was that aside from a few moms there to watch over their kids, all the protestors were obviously below driving age. Surely there had to have been plenty of older kids, in their late teens, that had the day off, or could have taken it to support their siblings, or the "Cause". Where-TF, were they? I'll tell you where, off driving their cars, just like these ardent little protestors in the pic above probably are today. In their first car, no doubt a cheap ice car.

I also wondered how these kids got there? I saw no bicycles, and knowing the helicopter parent obsession with driving kids everywhere these days I have to assume mom drove them across town in the air-conditioned car, from their air-conditioned home, powered by a coal burning plant. No doubt they had to stop at McDonalds on the way home for a Victory lunch too. So at the end of the day these spoilt brats are living high on the Hog thanks to the oil and coal their parents consume. They are climate destroyers by proxy. Hypocrites by any other measure.

New Tesla Roadster won’t really be a car, says Elon Musk

Musk also doubled down on the plan to make it a partnership with SpaceX as he previously said that the vehicle would be equipped with cold air thrusters to make it faster. He added that the new Roadster is going to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in less than a second – making it the quickest vehicle in the world.

Just in time too. Go Elon You can expect some rocketry stuff there
But remember the sage advice, Never read the comments.

Edit: It's really quite a smart business decision when you think about it. The world is getting flooded with cheap Chinese and Korean at the low end of the market so he's targeting the very top end, the rich patriots.

Back