EV vehicles

You've pretty much just described what is going on in the green state of Ca. They are trying to eliminate ICE. Yet they have a shortage of electricity. Gas no one can afford, and now have to buy coal fired electricity just to avoid black outs.

Classic cart, horse.
And that's a state where the weather is stable (somewhat) unlike the northern states where winter comes into play...EVs don't like winter or salt on the roads...

I think the acceleration to go EV is far too fast and it will fail....the infrastructure can handle the few we have on the roads now but once they become mainstream, the electrical grid collapse is imminent....the money must be pretty good for the blind eye to be so prevalent....

And that's a state where the weather is stable (somewhat) unlike the northern states where winter comes into play...EVs don't like winter or salt on the roads...

I think the acceleration to go EV is far too fast and it will fail....the infrastructure can handle the few we have on the roads now but once they become mainstream, the electrical grid collapse is imminent....the money must be pretty good for the blind eye to be so prevalent....
The whole industry is propped up by the government. They have this thing called energy credits. Long story short, it's an alternative currency that is bought and sold as such. Elon is the first EV maker with the vision to exploit that. If he didn't get paid by the govt for each car's energy credit, Tesla would not be a solvent company.

It's all a collosal money grab.

I dealt with this in the coal industry.

We were considering buying a small decommissioned coal fired power plant that served about 130,000 homes.

We considered recommissioning it and using 100% recycled tires. Solely because tires were not considered a fossil fuel based firing fuel. The amount of energy credits we would have received was more than what we were able to charge to bring energy to the homes. In effect double dipping profits. It was staggering the amount of $$ that is flowing on the "green agenda".

I actually hired a wallstreeter to place the value on it. The energy credits are sold like a bond or a stock. If I'm a polluter, I'm being attacked by the govt. But if I can buy energy credits to give them back to get the credits back to be called "clean" enough, the government can reissue those to the likes of TESLA etc. If I'm a BIG polluter they buy billions of credits. Bank then just like $$.

If I was a non polluter, and become one due to a new government clean up reg, now they have to join the same buy energy credits just like the others. More buyers, more need to buy. Means they trade higher.

It's as close to printing up money as I had ever seen. And a HUGE scam. The big oil companies can buy more than they need to be compliant, and bank the rest. And wait for the value to go up. Resell them as needed or wanted.

Traded everyday just like a stock or commodity.

Meanwhile the ones really paying are the poor end users that think Gee I get $7500 for buying an EV. Not realizing they won't ever have reliable electricity to charge. CA is just the tip of the spear in this.

I watched part of Biden's speech regarding the US government infusing money into EV in giving rebates for people to buy new and used EV and 7.5 billion to put charging stations across the US..

The first thing I thought was they are really putting the cart before the horse...putting charging stations in but not building up the infrastructure to support them makes little sense...people will be able to charge up an EV and then go home to a brown out as there isn't enough power for it all..

Then coal fired electrical generating stations will be fired back up...

Instead of rebates, why doesn't the government just step in and cap prices for these vehicles...if they want to have governmental overreach they might as well go full hog....

It's because this IS a restructuring plan.
No government is this stupid.

A friend of an acquaintance owns a fairly big lawn care company...

A couple of his customers want only EV lawn equipment used on their properties and they are large properties....so he bought 2 zero turn 60 inch cut EVs...he said they were expensive but were working great when he bought them 2 yrs ago...now they struggle to complete the same area in one charge...before they could do the whole job with power to spare...

He said to replace the batteries is crazy expensive-he could almost buy a Kubota zero turn for the price of a battery pack...

I read the city of Ottawa has banned the use of ICE lawn equipment by their city staff...I wonder how long that will last.....

A friend of an acquaintance owns a fairly big lawn care company...

A couple of his customers want only EV lawn equipment used on their properties and they are large properties....so he bought 2 zero turn 60 inch cut EVs...he said they were expensive but were working great when he bought them 2 yrs ago...now they struggle to complete the same area in one charge...before they could do the whole job with power to spare...

He said to replace the batteries is crazy expensive-he could almost buy a Kubota zero turn for the price of a battery pack...

I read the city of Ottawa has banned the use of ICE lawn equipment by their city staff...I wonder how long that will last.....
No different than any other battery powered device. Eventually the battery loses life and a full charge doesn’t last as long. Some thing happens for simple things like an iPhone

Do you all know the history of the IC car and the crazy transition from coal and trains? Or the billions put into roads and paying companies to add gas stations?

Do you all know the history of the IC car and the crazy transition from coal and trains? Or the billions put into roads and paying companies to add gas stations?
I do, and I also know there were EV in the early 1900's.....

I know there was long progression between horse to car and roads then were built....

If we look at this issue, the roads are all built, the technology is there and has been there for quite some time but it still isn't where it should be and won't be for quite some time to come.

I don't know how many ICE cars burned down houses while sitting in the garage or made it impossible to extinguish the fire once started sometimes for no reason while the vehicle was sitting at a light....sorry, not sold on EV, it will have to prove itself quite a bit more for me to entertain it.

So why not keep old reliable tech and focus on more reliable hydrogen options? I will never ever own an electric vehicle where I live.... it just isn't safe or reliable for me or my needs.

So why not keep old reliable tech and focus on more reliable hydrogen options? I will never ever own an electric vehicle where I live.... it just isn't safe or reliable for me or my needs.
I watched quite a few car journalists test various EV platforms and the consensus from all of them was the range is not as advertised....not one of the EVs they tested got the range the manufacturer said they would.

A couple of them barely made it back to the dealership with the EV they were testing. Tests I watched lately was on Tesla, Saab, Cadillac, Ford (Mustang and Lightning), all of them were very nice platforms with lots of bells and whistles but none got anywhere near the advertised range.

The Tesla was tested in the late fall in Michigan and the tester was told it would get 180 miles with a full complement of people and luggage...he started off good with everyone on board singing songs to the radio and ended up having to kick everyone and their luggage to the chase van, turn off the heater and bundle up to make the last 30 miles....he said he had less than 3% power when he pulled into the Tesla dealer after travelling 168 miles-and that was with a new car-imagine as it ages the range will get less and less like your electric drill does over time...

Similar stories with the other brands I watched the test on as well-the range was the biggest issue. The Cadillac was supposed to go 300 miles but the tester tried everything he could and it never got over 240 and he worked hard to get that (no passengers, hills, wind, etc).

Maybe it will get better but I can imagine trying to go from Medicine Hat Alberta to Saskatoon or Toronto to Winnipeg in January-it would be next to impossible.

I forgot to add, a friend of a friend has a Tesla S (for the last 2 yrs) and he has noted his electric bill is quite a bit higher than before he had it...he said it is akin to running your dryer when charging it.

BB what generates the electricity in those chargers? What are they made of? Where does the rubber in the hoses and cables come from?

Back