Enlighten me...Every year progresses towards its end and every year I get frustrated

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
Here's what I don't understand,

Why is it ok for every holiday season to break record sales in one area or another or to have mid night openings of massive scale retailers to push more product to the consumer (gifts?) or for the bell ringers to stand in front of the retailer's door in hopes of collecting a sufficient amount to help those in need BUT a week later when the year comes to an end. That bell ringer is nowhere to be seen. The giving and buying of things comes to a halt and the mind set of our nation shifts away from giving and moves towards an individualistic New Year's revolution perspective. This irks me. If we are a concerned people it should persist year round. My .02

Re: Enlighten me...Every year progresses towards its end and every year I get frustra

Yay! lets start a new trend. we( we as in a whole crap load of people) start off by donating just $1 to a family . like a pay-it- forward type of thing. money starts rolling in press gets involved, singers start singing we are the US of A and on and on.

Re: Enlighten me...Every year progresses towards its end and every year I get frustra

I would guess this has to do with the fact that most Americans are "liberal" with their money during the holiday season. This often times causes them to incur debt. After the holiday season they do not have any money to spend because they are repaying their debts. They also don't have any sort of "massive coercion" to spend money they do not have.

I boycott all holidays. I don't even celebrate birthdays.

If I want to buy a gift for a family member or friend, I do it. If I want something for myself, I buy it. I don't need an occasion to do so.

If I see someone that needs a helping hand, I help, regardless of what day/season it is. I do believe in a hand up not a hand out.

My theory...

Its like taxes.... you gotta squeeze in those last minute deductions to max your returns...

Or in the case of the holidays, last minute gifting.... you squeeze all the goody goody feelings into one day, so you don't have to worry about it all year :)

I would guess this has to do with the fact that most Americans are "liberal" with their money during the holiday season. This often times causes them to incur debt. After the holiday season they do not have any money to spend because they are repaying their debts. They also don't have any sort of "massive coercion" to spend money they do not have.

You are right, I think, part of what I bring up has to do with the open hand most Americans have with their finances this time of year, but issue here is more than spending habits and the consequences of those spending habits. I don't understand why we have Christmas and with Christmas comes the bell ringing, excessive gifting (which isn't the meaning of Christmas), and giving in general, but when that holiday passes where's the good natured religiosity of our country? I'm not arguing that Christmas shouldn't exist it just seems inconsistent to promote a religion and then celebrate in such a grotesque manner. We get up in arms about the minute details and conveniently forget about the bigger picture. At least this is my interpretation of what I see.

I boycott all holidays. I don't even celebrate birthdays.

If I want to buy a gift for a family member or friend, I do it. If I want something for myself, I buy it. I don't need an occasion to do so.

If I see someone that needs a helping hand, I help, regardless of what day/season it is. I do believe in a hand up not a hand out.

I am right there with ya. "hand up and not hand out" If there is someone in need you can help them or you don't have to help them which ever you choose you should be consistent and helping shouldn't fall under this umbrella of "The Holidays".
My theory...

Its like taxes.... you gotta squeeze in those last minute deductions to max your returns...

Or in the case of the holidays, last minute gifting.... you squeeze all the goody goody feelings into one day, so you don't have to worry about it all year :)

It this what Christmas is about, feeling? I think most would say it's about expressing thanks and giving for/to others BUT I believe you hit the nail on the head. It's about "feelings". I know for me it's about feelings and acknowledgment of those connections dear to me.

Ha, i might be a poor example Shiro...

My family doesn't even exchange gifts....

All we do is fly in from all corners of the country and spend time together....

So what it means to me, and what it means in general arent quite the same generally :)
:beerchug:

Ha, i might be a poor example Shiro...
My family doesn't even exchange gifts....
All we do is fly in from all corners of the country and spend time together....
So what it means to me, and what it means in general arent quite the same generally :)
:beerchug:

"Poor" example! I think, that's the ideal example: completely void of all giving of material goods and expectation of receiving.

Back