Electric vehicle help

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
I am thinking of a winter project to motivate a lightweight 3 or 4 wheel vehicle capable of hauling 400Lbs at 40mph or so for say 3-6 miles...

Anyone familiar with electric vehicle motors that can give me a baseline starting point? (sort of dictates battery/weight/construction) if it is even possible? Idea is to do this for very little $$

or am I better to start out with a junked out wheel chair? heck I dont know....

I am thinking of a winter project to motivate a lightweight 3 or 4 wheel vehicle capable of hauling 400Lbs at 40mph or so for say 3-6 miles...

Anyone familiar with electric vehicle motors that can give me a baseline starting point? (sort of dictates battery/weight/construction) if it is even possible? Idea is to do this for very little $$

or am I better to start out with a junked out wheel chair? heck I dont know....

You're not 400 pounds yet are you? :laugh:

You're not 400 pounds yet are you? :laugh:
egads man no.... but I figure you gotta carry 2 bags of groceries, a gallon of milk and a 12 pack.. add batteries etc.. got to be 200lbs ?

I live 2.4 miles from work and have indoor parking so figured this could be fun..

Up here wheelchairs get to do a lot of stuff and not be bothered by the Leo's, drive on the sidewalk, street etc.
I would start out with that if it were me, and then do some mods.
It may bring heat if you build your own, and besides no one wants to bother someone in a wheelchair right?
BUT
With the sport we are in, I don't know the Karma of having a wheelcahir waiting in the wings.

Up here wheelchairs get to do a lot of stuff and not be bothered by the Leo's, drive on the sidewalk, street etc.
I would start out with that if it were me, and then do some mods.
It may bring heat if you build your own, and besides no one wants to bother someone in a wheelchair right?
BUT
With the sport we are in, I don't know the Karma of having a wheelcahir waiting in the wings.
we will have to stretch the wheelbase a bit huh? 40mph on a chair with a 20" wheel base might be more fun than I can handle

then lower the seat, stretch out the seating position to something closer to a go cart...

we will have to stretch the wheelbase a bit huh? 40mph on a chair with a 20" wheel base might be more fun than I can handle

then lower the seat, stretch out the seating position to something closer to a go cart...

Just keep the wheelie bars concealed as much as possible or you won't be in stealth mode anymore. :whistle:

I found plenty of wheelchairs for under $200 on fleabay but have no idea what I am looking at...

Here you go: :rofl:

electric-rough-roller-pp.jpg

wheeli bar.JPG

Good Idea Bogus but I can forsee(sp) you gettin in trouble. If you get to 40 then you'll want to go 50 and on and on. Speedin ticket in a wheelchair. I can't wait to see the outcome of this.:thumbsup:

this reminded of the "worlds fastest electric motorcycle" :rofl:

- Electric Motorcycle Crash[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Idea Bogus but I can forsee(sp) you gettin in trouble. If you get to 40 then you'll want to go 50 and on and on. Speedin ticket in a wheelchair. I can't wait to see the outcome of this.:thumbsup:
now you are getting the hang of this project :)

A souped up and stretched power wheels:thumbsup:
:) yup

Seriously, here is a good article on how the motors and batteries work.
You could figure something out from there:

How Do Electric Wheelchairs Work? | eHow.com

This is actually a cool subject.
Check this out:

[URL="
- DPX Systems Drill Powered Bike[/URL]

pretty interesting and maybe I do not need as much power drive as I thought..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back