Dyno with stock exhaust?

V8Pinto

Registered
How do I get A/F logged during a dyno run with stock exhaust?

My local shop said they couldn't do it unless they drilled into the header ahead of the crossover pipe.

I noted a couple threads here that were with slipons. How is everyone getting this done? Does my shop just not want my business?

No telling but they might be talking along the lines of how the Pair Valve jacks with it .

Just do the marble mod if you've not already .

You just want a look at what you have at WOT A/F for Bonneville, correct ?

Yes exactly. It ran really good on this last trip and I wanted to baseline it before I did anything else. Just need to know where I'm at power-wise. I still don't have any electronics added so I really wanted an informational pull.

Is the marble mod where you plug the line going to the pair valve? I thought that was required only if you had popping on decel?

Bonneville in 8 days!!!

You only have three choices . A run without the Pair blocked or, with it blocked or , one run both ways .

you can only get A/F with stock Cans by either drilling the header or gutting the cans.
has nothing to do with PAIR all real tuners know to block it.

(Johnnycheese @ Aug. 02 2007,20:52) you can only get A/F with stock Cans by either drilling the header or gutting the cans.
Say again ?

07busa_sat02.jpg

(mountainmotor @ Sep. 29 2007,10:08)
(Johnnycheese @ Aug. 02 2007,20:52) you can only get A/F with stock Cans by either drilling the header or gutting the cans.
Say again ?

07busa_sat02.jpg
I have dyno'd several the same as shown in Brock photo with stock cans untouched and had great result's...I even dyno'd them with stock exhaust with no cans and aftermarket slipons.....It sounds like the dyno place hasn't a clue....

(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 30 2007,01:26) you have no clue do you guys what is really happing to A/F on a stock muffler can do you?
rock.gif
wow.gif

I really think it's you the clueless one JC . This deal is about something behind the scenes that your not privey to.

But your great with the one liners . Go ahead and tell us all about it .

<!--QuoteBeginJohnnycheese+Sep. 30 2007,01:26-->
(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 30 2007,01:26) <!--QuoteEBegin-->you have no clue do you guys what is really happing to A/F on a stock muffler can do you?
rock.gif
wowold.gif

I really think it's you the clueless one JC . This deal is about something behind the scenes that your not privey to.

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor|1191146888-->
For those In The Know...........
on a stockexhaust you can not get a sniffer tube into the stream ofr proper A/F unless you get to the midpipes.
If you just stab it in the rear of the can you will just get the cold air pluse on the reverse flow and it will give you a false A/F reading.
Ever wonder why a stock map is rich from Dynojet?
rock.gif
?

PS I don't know ****.
bone stock Busamapped by me
180 in the texas mile
banghead.gif

rock.gif

I am a little surprised that some racer has not commented about the picture. Brock is not tuning that new Hayabusa. That picture was taken from the World Press Intorduction for the 2008 Busa. As Brock states in the article that the bike is a full production - bone stock - no PC and it was just a HP run on the dyno.

Racetrack14
211.312 @ Texas Mile
Ninesecondjen
Fastest Female to run the Texas Mile @ 216.506
First Father Daughter Team to join a 200MPH Club
all on my little Stage 1 Turbo Hayabusa
Tuner - Johnny Cheese

i dyno'ed my bike at millermotorworks in ithaca ny, all he did was drill a hole thru the baffle so that the sensor could be stuck deep into the can thru to the y pipe. he got 163 hp with a stock pipe, all the normal mods.

<!--QuoteBeginJohnnycheese+Sep. 30 2007,01:26-->
(Johnnycheese @ Sep. 30 2007,01:26) <!--QuoteEBegin-->you have no clue do you guys what is really happing to A/F on a stock muffler can do you?
rock.gif
wowold.gif

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor|1191146888-->
For those In The Know...........
on a stockexhaust you can not get a sniffer tube into the stream ofr proper A/F unless you get to the midpipes.
If you just stab it in the rear of the can you will just get the cold air pluse on the reverse flow and it will give you a false A/F reading.
Ever wonder why a stock map is rich from Dynojet?
rock.gif
?

PS I don't know ****.
bone stock Busamapped by me
180 in the texas mile
banghead.gif
+1 gotta get past the baffle into mid pipe. Wow, whats up with all of the tension??
shutup.gif
fight.gif

rock.gif

First and foremost.
ALL that V8Pinto wanted was a baseline pull, to see where his HP level was at.
You do NOT need the sniffer in the tail pipe to do that.
The sniffer is part of the tuning end of it.
He wasn't asking for any tuning, just a base HP number.
The dealer is the dumbass in THIS case!
He shorted himself out of a couple of $$$$.

sheesh... the orig question is right at the top... "How do I get A/F logged during a dyno run with stock exhaust?" JC is right again. You guys are knocking someone who does deserve some level of respect. Jc knows more than most when it comes to tunning etc.

According to the pic you need to be wearing shorts to dyno things right too.
all_coholic.gif

I know I'm guilting of throwing out one liners as well. Maybe it's just because you're tired of explaining the rational behind proven experience. It's like if someone asks "should I ride my bike with 5psi of air in my tires. The quick answer is "No". Sure you can explain it in detail but a simple answer may drive the person to either accept it or to investigate the details on their own.

Sorry JC, I think you deserve a little
super.gif

Yeah I just wanted to baseline it since I had a really consistent set of MPH numbers. I needed a HP number to put with that MPH. Even though I have bought 7 bikes from that dealer, I am less than pleased with the support I get from their race department. I went to another shop to get the dyno work done on that bike and they missed out on the easy money.

I guess no one listen. my shop pulled the right muffler, then drilled a hole just big enough to get the sniffer thru the muffler to the y-pipe. talked to the man JC, he approved.
repost.gif

What a comical thread full of assumptions .

Now that the 2007 season is over and the bike is sold , I think it's safe to say the cans were gutted all along and we were looking at baselines for reference to compare to other possible mods to increase the volumeric fill that may or may not have ever been performed .

Same said for possible efforts that may or may not have been in the works to keep the exhaust gas good and hot and the gas speed up thru the cans.

Loose lips sink ships . I kept my word for silence to Shane as did he , for me .

Back