Downsides of a Stage 1 street turbo?

bazooki

Registered
I have been waffling on pulling the trigger on this project for a few years now...my rational self debating my adrenaline junkie self (its a standoff so far) and when stalling its always good to add more information to make the decision either easier or more convoluted. If I were to do an RCC Stage 1 kit for my 05 what would be the downsides of having this setup as a daily (or weekly) driver, if there are any? Can I still swing a leg over and turn the key and head off for my ride like I would have before adding the Stage 1?

Others will chime in but I think if you get a good tuner like frank or rob it will be every bit reliable and streetable as it was stock. My gen 2 with a stage 1 bone stock was and I loved every minute of it. Bad part is I then wanted more power...

Others will chime in but I think if you get a good tuner like frank or rob it will be every bit reliable and streetable as it was stock. My gen 2 with a stage 1 bone stock was and I loved every minute of it. Bad part is I then wanted more power...

If I do end up getting it done I am going to take it straight to the source and have it done by Richard at RCC here in Ontario. He is about 6 hours from where I live.

just as reliable as not having one. I have a buddy with a stage 2 r6 and another with a stage 2 gsxr 1000. They ride everyday without any issues what so ever. On a side not it is such an embarrassment when my buddy on the r6 blows by!

The tune is key, but the install is as of equal importance. But if taking it to richard, you should have no issues at all.

Keep us posted!

Downside> you will have a lighter bank account later as you will wanna keep adding more boost. Lol

The bike is fast already...add the turbo and it is faster...gets more attention...if you have the money and want it...why not. Would you do the install yourself? It is not that difficult with some general mech ability and common metric tools.

The bike is fast already...add the turbo and it is faster...gets more attention...if you have the money and want it...why not. Would you do the install yourself? It is not that difficult with some general mech ability and common metric tools.

I have thought about building it myself but I am not sure I want to do the install and then ride it 6 hours to have Richard tune it. With the speeds we are talking about and the risks of extremely high speed problems I would probably be more confident in a bike that was built from the beginning by RCC. No overlooked issues or stupid mistakes by me as a noob. My plan is to do some 1/2 mile top speed runs with this bike so having confidence in it is important and worth the extra pro build expense IMHO.

To save a bit of shop time you could strip it down and push it in a truck...or perhaps they want to see the condition of it running prior to the teardown. 6 hrs is a haul but in the case of a 1 or 2 time drive it may be the best choice as far as the money invested in the build.

If you do an RCC, the install is super easy for the stage one. Comes with great instructions for step by step install. Plus it will come with a base map for you to put in your power commander or ECU editor. That will be safe to ride to a tuner.

Do it yourself man! I've never done it before and just rebuilt the whole motor too. You can do it!

Only downside I can see is you have to plan your trip once turbo'd little more. I have been on back country roads touring and no premium fuel available at some locations. Nice thing about stockish Gen 1 just require 87 octane.

I'd at least put the spacer in to lower the stock compression,otherwise you'll eventually melt some pistons(been there/done that[with stock compression]within 3,000 miles using 91 octane on my Gen I).

I have the stage 1 and if I had the money I'd get the newer air box and go through the engine...at the time I added the kit I couldn't see replacing parts that were not bad...I know if I go into the engine (rods / pistons / bolts...other gaskets etc) it would be expensive + the additional turbo parts. I am happy / content with what I have the rest is a want / wish list.

I will say one thing is to get the biggest turbo you can afford to start with, that way you can always turn the boost up as needed and to start with it can be really low until you learn to ride it again, but if you go with the cheapest kit to begin with you can only go up so much before the kit is maxed and you will have to upgrade. On the down side the only the thing I can think of off the top of my head is the addiction to speed that you will have.

Only downside I can see is you have to plan your trip once turbo'd little more. I have been on back country roads touring and no premium fuel available at some locations. Nice thing about stockish Gen 1 just require 87 octane.

In a pinch, you can run 87 in any turbo bike. Just don't beat on it that's all. Done it several times and has never been an issue.

I will say one thing is to get the biggest turbo you can afford to start with, that way you can always turn the boost up as needed and to start with it can be really low until you learn to ride it again, but if you go with the cheapest kit to begin with you can only go up so much before the kit is maxed and you will have to upgrade. On the down side the only the thing I can think of off the top of my head is the addiction to speed that you will have.

I agree with what you said to an extent joe. On a gen 1 bike the upgrade from a stage 1 to 2 is a little more costly then With a gen 2 because of changing the fuel system, modifying the air box, and adding a microtech. Usually when I suggest a stage 2 on a gen 1 it's because it's cheaper in the long run, and your only limitation to grow is the engine at that point.

Back