Down shifting

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
Just picked up an 04 blue/silver used with 1600 miles on it and so far I love this bike but have a question about down shifting. If I get lazy and don't down shift as I am approaching a stop and just pull in the clutch and coast I seem to get a false neutral between 6th and 5th, and between 5th and 4th. I then have to slip the clutch a bit and then it will go to the next lower gear. I called two shops and they told me I must be in at least 3rd just before a complete stop cause the tranny won't line up right and that it is normal. It only does this between 6 and 5, and 5 and 4th. My zrx dosent do this when I down shift it while coasting to stop a low speed. Is this normal or am I just used to the rock crusher tranny in the kawasaki? Anyhow, cool site for Busa's and thanks ahead of time for any and all reply's.

Welcome to the board and congratz on your Blusa. I have heard of false neutrals, but haven't experieinced it......I don't think it is normal.

Welcome to the board. I have the same bike. I haven't experienced what you're talking about, however. Before everyone else gets on you, we all like pics here. This thread is bound to have replies asking for them. Just warning you.
smile.gif

Welcome to the board. Now your on a Busa, not a Kow....you need to down shift while your still moving. What you described is normal, you need to be positive with your shifting....and it will become easier and smoother with 2000-3000 miles on the bike. You should try some full synthetic oil at about 3K miles
wink.gif

Welcome to the board. Don't be lazy!
biggrin.gif
You gotta shift this beast!

Welcome to the board. Same bike here and I have hit a false neutral while upshifting from 5-6. I just give a little more umph while shifting and no prob.

shift it like you mean it. Mine did the same thing.

Welcome to the board

Thankyou for all the help guy's. I feel better already. Wow, what a great bike this is. I feel like a kid with a new bicycle on xmas morning. So much more refined than my zrx. I have already got more looks and questions about this ride in the first week than I have had with my zrx to date. This place is a great resource for the Busa and I have learned alot already about my new bike.......
bowdown.gif

welcome and congrats on the new bike
our trannys dont have synchros like cars do
so as your slowing down with the clutch in you can gradually downshift to first
you dont have to let the clutch out while you downshift
its easier than trying to get it back to first while you are stopped
just dont downshift to first while your still at highway speeds

Thats just it. As I am slowing down with the clutch in and I'm not going at least 30mph or so, it won't shift down if i am in 6th or even 5th gear. And if I am already stoped before I can shift down, I then have to slip the clutch a bit to grab the next gear. With my zrx I can pull the clutch in and down shift at low speeds while coasting and then slink it into first just before I stop. So I am shifting the bike while moving slowly to a stop(30mph)with the clutch in coasting and it won't go to the next gear. So this speed is still to slow for coasting while downshifting? Sorry if I am a pain in the butt with this but I just gotta know for sure cause I ain't gett'in any sleep
smile.gif

i think it should be able to do it once in awhile it may not if the gears arent lined up correctly
do you know if the oil has been changed yet?
i would change it with synthetic and see if is any different

Yes, your right, it will down shift about half the time at this low speed and I went ahead and put some fresh10/40 synthetic blend(Motul)in her but it's about the same. Ya, I think maybe I am gett'in to worried over noth'in cause it's all new. Sounds like everybody here thinks it's o.k. then and it's normal and that will work for me. I just don't trust the stealership on much of anything and that's why I came to you guy's....
bowdown.gif

At 30 mph you should not be in any gear higher than third.....first gear will do 85 mph....your bike was not designed to do 30 in sixth. Don't be lazy about shifting....ride it like it was meant to be ridden.

Yes, your right, it will down shift about half the time at this low speed and I went ahead and put some fresh10/40 synthetic blend(Motul)in her but it's about the same. Ya, I think maybe I am gett'in to worried over noth'in cause it's all new. Sounds like everybody here thinks it's o.k. then and it's normal and that will work for me. I just don't trust the stealership on much of anything and that's why I came to you guy's....
bowdown.gif
There is nothing wrong with the bike....you need to know when to down shift
umnik.gif

Thanks BA BUSA & atticdog, I will start shifting way sooner when slowing down to stop. It's just my rid'in that's the cause and not the bike, and that makes me feel better about this awsome ride the Busa. Now, if the rain would just let up soon so I can put some miles on this bad boy!!!Thanks again....Rob

Welcome I have the 04 busa only experience the false neutral between 5th and 6th, usually up shifting. Like the other say need to shift it a little harder sometimes.

I was wondering how far I was going to have to ride to show you how to work that beast
tounge.gif
there is another member in El Dorado Hills....PsychoZ. Have fun with your new toy
wink.gif

Back