DONT HIT THE FRONT BRAKE AT DRAGS

ROACH

Registered
LAST night i was down to 5 bikes.I had race by 2 bikes but i thought i was breaking out.(bracket racing) i stabbed at front brake just before line front tire broke loose had both feet on pavement at 110 mph thought i was going down.still lost race 6.58 on a 6.60 dial in.
sad.gif
i shall return

some kid did that at the track and went down hard. he was on a 600rr.he said he just touched the front to slow down after the finish line and down he went.total his bike out with no insurance.be carefully.

Only problem here... Front brake provides 80-100% of your stopping ability. If your locking it up on somethig other than gravel or wet roads then your doing something wrong.

You have to give the front tire time to load properly, all of about 3/4s of second or less, but once it does you'll be hard pressed to break it loose.

Don't write up something silly that might discourage someone from rightly counting on their front brakes to keep them alive. Fast stops are all about the front brakes... Learn to use them hard, fast, and efficiently. Practice panic stops every couple of weeks or so and you'll not have any problems.

Not pointing fingers saying Nah Nah... Just saying that you have to practice on them fronts if you want to safely be out on the track or the road.

I always use my front to stop after a run...Seldom if ever use the rear brake it's the one that will get you in trouble more often than not...

Gahh. I hear this kind of thing from so many novice (mostly American - probably due to the relatively easy licensing requirements) riders. It's like they are all terrified of their front brakes...

I have to go along with Revelis here. The front brake is the only one that really works. At high speed, the back brake is going to do about nothing, except lock up and slip, due to front-end loading caused by your body's inertia and momentum, which is particularly bad on the 'busa with its (more-or-less) 50/50 front/back weight distribution and long wheelbase. The back tire is going to slow the bike down some, forcing more of your body's weight forward onto the forks = less effective braking on the back.

My safety course instructor made us do panic stop runs at 50-60 MPH, where the goal was to briefly (!) lock the front tire. This was some scary shid on the busa, and I could only get it to work the first time; all following runs left me stopped without chirping the tire. He said the secret was to pump the front brake quickly using only your fingers while not moving your arm at all. He had us practice this off of the bike at first. A lot of us (including me) found that this is not an easy thing to do, as you reflexively tend to use your biceps/shoulder in such a movement which can be disastrous at high speeds (using your upper arm can deliver a steering impuse to the forks, which can get you wobbling...)

Another important thing is how you brake when you panic stop. Never just clamp your hand down. A quick jerking-pull to about 25% followed by a smooth, fluid pull to 100% will always be best. My instructor illustrated it with a "braking mantra" BRAY!-kiinnnggg... BRAY!-kiiiinnnnggg...

As with everything else, practice makes perfect

I put a scuff mark all the way around tire on the side.
wow.gif
i just wanted the win bad i should have just let off throttle and sat up a little.I had the guy bye 2 bikes but broke out bye a couple i should of had him
evil.gif
o-well next week im not looking for charity but dang no bye runs no body broke on me and no red lights bye opponents i would have been in the $$ if i could have got that.

Front brakes are all that is needed. If your locking them up that quickly then you need to re-evaluate how you are applying brake pressure. Just grabbing a handfull is NOT the way to be using the brakes.

LAST night i was down to 5 bikes.I had race by 2 bikes but i thought i was breaking out.(bracket racing) i stabbed at front brake just before line front tire broke loose had both feet on pavement at 110 mph thought i was going down.still lost race 6.58 on a 6.60 dial in.
sad.gif
i shall return
Next time you race... Learn how to properly use BOTH your brakes. Hard for me to beleive you can drag race without knowning how to properly brake. Before you try to race. Learn how to ride a bike properly. Take a class.

Damn rookies...

ROYZGSX

Front brakes are all that is needed.  If your locking them up that quickly then you need to re-evaluate how you are applying brake pressure.  Just grabbing a handfull is NOT the way to be using the brakes.
tell that to someone who had a car pull out in front of them and they dont have a rear brake.the front brake i use most of the time but if you need to stop quick you will need the rear to help out.
AAAssjani.gif
the track i would use both.

<!--EDIT|zx10r240rwhp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120755829 -->

The replies here are killing me. He's talking about taking .02 out at the drag strip. This isn't street riding or riding on the road course. NEVER NEVER hit the front brake at the stripe. I also have seen crashes from use of the front brake. I've seen guys at prostar lock up the front tire at the stripe and come back shaking having almost gone down.

When making that last split second decision to slow down chop the throttle, sit up, and stab the rear brake. You can take a ton out of it that way. Better yet look back sooner so you can slow it down with just the throttle. I have trouble with that on the busa. I just get it into fourth gear and do that last second look back. I have more time on my gs and can just use the throttle and maybe sit up. In extreme cases a little rear brake.

I've taken basic street riding classes, advanced street riding classes and I've been out on the local road course. In those venues you would never only use the rear brake. Here were talking about the dragstrip. This is a completely different animal. You dont have that 3/4 of a second to let the front tire load properly at the stripe. This is a split second decision at 130+ that in the next fifty feet you need to take 15 mph out of it. Now after the finish line use them both.

race on 1/8 mile track and 375' track with a short shutdown always use front brake rear if needed if you hit just the back your going to lock it up and slide and never stop

I find it odd that one the road course at Road America, I can brake HARD using ONLY the front brake, from 170 mph, for turn one and not have any problems. What Revlis and expat said is right. Get on them intitially to load up, then to 100%.

Roach: Not doubting you're racing skills, or your riding skills, and I have been beat in bracket racing by 0.007 sec, so I understand the frustration, but...

Why not just change your dial-in? You know everyone runs quicker in the evening.
laugh.gif

I will i hate to put a dial in i havent turned in practice but i keep going little quicker at night.

sad.gif
i shall return
Next time you race... Learn how to properly use BOTH your brakes.  Hard for me to beleive you can drag race without knowning how to properly brake.  Before you try to race.  Learn how to ride a bike properly. Take a class.  

Damn rookies...

ROYZGSX
WTF? when did you become the expert drag racer? I must have missed all you posts on racing your bike at the strip.....

The replies here are killing me. He's talking about taking .02 out at the drag strip. This isn't street riding or riding on the road course. NEVER NEVER hit the front brake at the stripe. I also have seen crashes from use of the front brake. I've seen guys at prostar lock up the front tire at the stripe and come back shaking having almost gone down.

When making that last split second decision to slow down chop the throttle, sit up, and stab the rear brake. You can take a ton out of it that way. Better yet look back sooner so you can slow it down with just the throttle. I have trouble with that on the busa. I just get it into fourth gear and do that last second look back. I have more time on my gs and can just use the throttle and maybe sit up. In extreme cases a little rear brake.

I've taken basic street riding classes, advanced street riding classes and I've been out on the local road course. In those venues you would never only use the rear brake. Here were talking about the dragstrip. This is a completely different animal. You dont have that 3/4 of a second to let the front tire load properly at the stripe. This is a split second decision at 130+ that in the next fifty feet you need to take 15 mph out of it. Now after the finish line use them both.
um. Ok, so -essentially- what you're saying is: the next time some blind, geriatric Benz driver doing 110 kph pulls into the left lane in front of me on the Autobahn, when I'm doing 260 and still accelerating, your advice is "hit the back brake first"

?

I think I'm missing something here.

Re-read my post. I clearly say I'm talking about bracket racing the stripe at the dragstrip. The second line says "this isn't street riding or riding on the road course" I clearly state that for stopping, advanceed street riding, and the road course you would never use only the rear brake. It also says that after the finish line you should use them both.

This is a vicous momentary stab at the rear brakes, not to stop, but to slow down.

Again to re-iterate. This is not street riding. This is not panic stopping. This is not stopping on the road course or the autohahn. This is about safely drag racing the stripe. By the time you initially get on the front brakes to load them up your already 50 ft. past the finish line.

<!--EDIT|rosco15
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121404417 -->

Re-read my post. I clearly say I'm talking about bracket racing the stripe at the dragstrip. The second line says "this isn't street riding or riding on the road course" I clearly state that for stopping, advanceed street riding, and the road course you would never use only the rear brake. It also says that after the finish line you should use them both.

This is a vicous momentary stab at the rear brakes, not to stop, but to slow down.

Again to re-iterate. This is not street riding. This is not panic stopping. This is not stopping on the road course or the autohahn. This is about safely drag racing the stripe.
ok, sorry, my bad. Didn't mean to seem belligerent
blush.gif

But it still sounds to me like doing this would cause control issues.
And I'm not too sure where my Autobahn analogy breaks - when that happens to me (and you'd be amazed at how often it does) the only thing on my mind is dumping the delta-v I've got compared to the snoozing cager. And stabbing the back brake is an invitation to climb into the cager's trunk...

I guess what I'm missing is:

a) why you'd want to slow down before the finish line at all?
b) exactly how this is different from dumping velocity in any straightaway situation.

I'm really not trying to piss you off here, I've just never been on a strip to race and really can't get my head around your advice...

um. I suppose it has something to do with the "bracket" part, right? If you cross too fast or have a time that is too good, you get bumped into another bracket?

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: "flash of insight -&gt; &quot;bracket&quot;"|1121404987 -->

Back