Do I need a clutch???

amad

Registered
Hey everyone,
I've had my '05 Busa for a little over a week. I've put about 150 miles on it. Taking it easy. It has 3,900 miles on it now. I noticed when I bought it that when letting the clutch lever out, it would engage at the very end of the travel, but thought it must be normal because it worked fine. Today, on my way home, I stopped at the store, came out, and the bike didn't want to go out of neutral as easily. Let the clutch out, back in and then it did ok, but it seemed to not engage until the very end of the lever travel. Then, on a couple more starts, it didn't seem to engage all the way, and seemed to slip a little when revved in first gear (engine revved, but bike didn't accelerate as fast). Do you think I need a new clutch so soon? Or is this something else? Any help? Suggestions?
please.gif

Pull your front sprocket cover and clean up the push rod would be one my 1st thought.

2nd thought would be the clutch slave cylinders O-ring is failing.

Two things, re-adjust the clutch lever toward you and check your fluid level. Just try to eliminate all the easy things first. And when you ride the bike, DON'T BABY IT ! Shift like you mean it, that's the way it was built and Easy Does It shifting will cause you problems now or later !  
beerchug.gif

The fluid through the view window is full. How do I check the clutch slave cylinder o-ring? Also, what do you mean the front sprocket cover and push rod? You're not talking about the chain front sprocket are you?

What position is your clutch adjuster dial (top of handle) in? Try a different position (0-1-2-3).

Adjust to the diff #'s and if that don't fix it take it to a bike shop. Sounds like the return spring in the master is broken! Happens when big hands with gloves on, over squeeze the lever too many times. The slipping clutch is because the pressure won't return back into the reservoir. You will smoke the clutch if you keep riding it that way!

The fluid through the view window is full.  How do I check the clutch slave cylinder o-ring?  Also, what do you mean the front sprocket cover and push rod?  You're not talking about the chain front sprocket are you?
Yes I am.

The hydraulic clutch system pushes an 6 inch rod that is underneath the sprocket cover and goes thru a rubber seal into the tranny.

Excess build up of oils, dirt and grime build up on that rod.

If it hardens enough it will bind up and create the symptoms you describe.

Do you have it overfilled?  You should be able to see an air bubble throgh the site glass.

My other thought is the previous owner was such a donkey that they actually did wreck the fiber plates.

I have over 40K of spirited riding on my 06 and it's still solid.

Well, I lubed the heck out of the clutch lever moving parts, and that seemed to take care of it. I've ridden it now for another 100 miles with no problems.
Thanks everyone.
ThumbsUp.gif

Back