Discuss Avatar here! *possible spoilers as of 12/18*

[Actually you have a good point, however they did a much better story then it appears from the trailers.

Thanks for the report.

Perhaps if it's still playing in a couple of weeks I'll go see it. I've already seen my one movie for the year in the theater for 2009. :laugh:

Just seen it. I liked it. I loved the 3D and the scenery.

Alot of messages in the movie.:thumbsup:

When you combine the technology with the story it is probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. Definately changed movie viewing.

The movie was practically taken directly from Ferngully. I am wondering if James Cameron actually had the script from Ferngully in his pocket when making Avatar.

Ok, I have to admit the special effects were incredible on the 3D IMAX screen, but if it were not for them I probably would have left the theatre.

Now I like a good SciFi movie just as much as the next person, but at least let me try to use my brain through it. After the first 10 minutes of meeting all of the characters the movie was completely predictable right to the end. The only person who actually had to make a slight shift in character was Sam Worthington, he had to change from a Hoo - wa! Marine to a tree hugging Na'vi. (Anyone remember Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves.) I mean come on, which of you out there were surprised when he ended up upgrading his ZX-14 bird creature thing to the GEN II Hayabusa Bird creature thing. Wow, I did not see that coming. Were any of you the least bit surprised when they played space age Paul Bunyan on that tree. (How many cords of wood do you think that thing had?) Ooh! I sure was shocked when Jake Sully ended up in the Avatar body.

And someone answer this... Why did they even have to use the Avatar body to begin with? It was not like they were fooling the Na'vi, the Na'vi already knew the Avatars were not Na'vi.

The other thing that detracted from the story was how G-rated everything was. Not that I like to see gratuitous violence, but if your going to try and drive home a message that war is brutal you may want to not make the battles look like a scene from the A-team. Never have I seen so much firepower and so few people go down. Also, is that the best we can do for military equipment in the year 2154, helicopters? Why didn't the Na'vi just bring a bunch of rocks up in the air and drop them in the propellers?

I have to tell you though, this movie would have been better to me if they would have treated it like a documentary and had the film crew exploring Pandora. I don't think there has ever been a movie that has quite had scenery like this one. All I wanted to do was explore the planet and see what else there was.

In essence James Cameron did the same thing with this movie that he did with Titanic. He took a common story and wrapped it in incredible special effects. By no means is Avatar a great movie with an earthshaking message, it was just a good way to burn up a few hours. For those of you who have not seen it yet, if you have a decent home theatre with surround sound, just rent it. The movie will be just as cool to watch at home.

I sure hope I did not spoil anything for anyone...

Last edited:
Everyone is not as jaded as the rest of us, I took a 3 year old & I don't think she picked up on the dances with wolves thing,,,, "upgraded to the Gen2 creature" :rofl:

Okay saw it a second time again in 3 D. I want Neytiri...what can I say I'm a sucker for georgous irradescent blue 10 feet tall athletic built women. I'll take her to every bar and if someone messes with me Neytiri will crack em' with the bow!

Seriously I loved the music and the actors not necessarily the story line. I purchased the CD and work books etc. Have all the McDonalds characters and will breathlessly wait for the sequel. I'm thinking of painting Karkatoa's hump to the war paint used by the NaVi.

Hmmm

I will go at least one more time in 3D. Pandora what a cool name....

PS Blue Moon rising tomorrow night. Only comes once every 19 years or so I am told. Hope it's visible in your part of the country.

ok i watched it on the computer last night... cant wait to see it in good graphics... if you liked that movie great...i loved it ...it reminded me of another great movie the wife and i watch over and over again. "last of the dogmen" with tom berrenger. if you have never seen it ... watch it...you will be suprised on the plot similaritys and you might even recognize the language some.

...Have all the McDonalds characters and will breathlessly wait for the sequel.

QUOTE]

What the heck is going to happen in the sequel? If its like warfare today, the US is going to send in about 100,000 drones with tactical nukes and Pandora will look like the clearcutting currently going on down in the Amazon Rainforest. The movie will be about 10 minutes long.

Oh I think they will come up with something that will last 2 hours so they can get our $12.00

10 feet tall? Wonder where Cameron cam up with that figure...not 6'5" , not 7 feet but 10 feet tall!!!

Same damn McDonalds AVATAR figure this week :(

Wardies in love :laugh: I vote for enhanced boobies in the sequel. :thumbsup:

I liked the movie for what it was, pure "escape" entertainment.

I liked this movie a lot... it did have some relationship to other movies but who cares. It was a well made and very entertaining movie for me and all of my family. It's great to have a movie that justifies paying the high movie theatre prices... definately a :thumbsup: movie.

As long as you didn't say Wardie was in love .... with Jake Scully ugh, but Neytiri...well Wardie is in love . Athletic women tend to have athletic bodies, IE: smaller boobs but firmer (yes ask me how I know..awe come on ask me). The only women athletes I've seen with substantial boobs was Katrina Witt the German figure skater. Yes I loved her too! LOL

Bad Wardie I fail.............................................................:laugh:

I did not mean size.... I'm not shallow like that. I like em all, I just thought there a little too indestinct. :poke:

How many board feet of lumber were in that tree anyway? he he :whistle:. Uhh...and our planet is not dying James. :moon: I enjoyed the movie but let’s face it, the underlying messages were the normal, blatant, predictable Hollywood BS. Tree hugging good, military bad.

How many board feet of lumber were in that tree anyway? he he :whistle:. Uhh...and our planet is not dying James. :moon: I enjoyed the movie but let’s face it, the underlying messages were the normal, blatant, predictable Hollywood BS. Tree hugging good, military bad.

Dont forget the latest twist... "Racist" as well... I thought it was great entertainment, racist? hmmmm perhaps that "earthlings" are bad? dunno... but some left wingers are getting pretty vocal about the nature of the movie...

just never ends... :laugh:

Okay saw it a second time again in 3 D. I want Neytiri...what can I say I'm a sucker for georgous irradescent blue 10 feet tall athletic built women. I'll take her to every bar and if someone messes with me Neytiri will crack em' with the bow!

Seriously I loved the music and the actors not necessarily the story line. I purchased the CD and work books etc. Have all the McDonalds characters and will breathlessly wait for the sequel. I'm thinking of painting Karkatoa's hump to the war paint used by the NaVi.

Hmmm

I will go at least one more time in 3D. Pandora what a cool name....

PS Blue Moon rising tomorrow night. Only comes once every 19 years or so I am told. Hope it's visible in your part of the country.

:woot:

I liked this movie a lot... it did have some relationship to other movies but who cares. It was a well made and very entertaining movie for me and all of my family. It's great to have a movie that justifies paying the high movie theatre prices... definately a :thumbsup: movie.

Indeed! As I said before, he didn't make this movie w/ the premise of it to have some deep, complicated plot. You don't have to have that for a movie to be enjoyed. It's very entertaining for a broad range of ages.

AVATAR is a Great Movie. See it in a IMAX -3D.....................The Only Way TOO GO !!!!

I've seen it twice now in Imax 3D. Once in Raleigh,NC and just last week in one of the worlds largest Imax theaters in Bangkok!! Too cool! :thumbsup:

Dont forget the latest twist... "Racist" as well... I thought it was great entertainment, racist? hmmmm perhaps that "earthlings" are bad? dunno... but some left wingers are getting pretty vocal about the nature of the movie...

just never ends... :laugh:

Sad isn't it? The movie has now become the 2nd highest grossing movie worldwide ever,so its going to attract attention. Positive & the negative Nancy's. So why wouldn't the azz clown left wingers get in on it and get some press for the week!? D-bags! :moon:

Back