'Ding-Dong'! It's the UPS guy!

Jay Willie

Donating Member
Registered
So I've been riding my bike with an extended swingarm, after market lowering links, and the stock spring/shock absorber. I live in southeast Kansas where we really don't have the bona fide twistie way of traveling but do have a few places we can bust a knee draggin' move or two...well, maybe two.

Anyways, after a lot of talking and reading and looking at other extended bikes, I finally settled on a spring up grade, shock lowering blocks in place of the links, and a shock absorber overhaul. I'm hoping this will give me a better position to more gracefully (and aggresively) move through the corners with the extended arm as well as the bike being lowered while still keeping the rear suspension geometry in a good position for same. I'm also hoping for more aggressive launches too but me thinks this might stiffen the rear up jest a wee bit much for lettin' 'er crouch down and spring forward...we'll see.

'busa rear suspension kit.JPG

The spring rate is an 8.0x2.25" @ 17.8kg. Hopefully this will be heavy enough to offset the leverage increase from the swingarm extension and the weight of my big fat azz. I hope to get this and a rear skin on in time for Eureka so I can learn some better cornering skills. There was word of a few schools on 'learning to lean' wasn't there? :laugh: :beerchug:

'busa rear suspension kit.JPG

Good luck on the install, see you at Eureka:thumbsup:

Are you turboed?

Just not sure why you would want to extend the wheelbase and then work on your cornering technique?

Are you turboed?

Just not sure why you would want to extend the wheelbase and then work on your cornering technique?

Simply put, just for the love of being different...

The more complex thoughts and reasons would have to be mined, like digging for treasure, but here are a few basic things I needed to consider...

Bought the bike set up the way it is, extended, lowered by all the traditional links and triple trees, and just a few other cosmetic mods. I figured an approximate two year learning curve just to get familiar with the bike and, while moving into the second year, want to expand a little more aggresively, my riding abilities. Discovered facts about suspension geometry that lowering and stretching can affect negatively but still love the custom look (the bike does attend a few shows). So, I'm working with what I've got to continue to tap those areas of self expression that say who I am, at least one thing I thoroughly enjoy about this particular machine. The Hayabusa is such a great piece of canvass!! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Oh, and 'thanks!' Shane! I see your posts all the time and am looking forward to finally meeting up with the names I've come to know on the org. HOG rocks!!! :super:

Last edited:
Back