Difference between silencers in or out.

motopokep

Registered
So I took the Gen II out for a short spin yesterday in about 35 degree weather, but had to test the new Yoshi G77 slipons. Hit local roads with traffic and the highway for a little bit. I'm not the loud type, as the Yoshi's without the silencers, get to me, after about 20 minutes. I'm happy I put'em on, bike feels somewhat lighter in the back, takes up less space in the garage, looks better, sound is nice and deep. But I'm thinking of putting in the silencers for several reasons. First, I don't want to attract extra attention of the police...I live on the border of 3 suburbs, so I'm always seeing 4 police departments on the road (+ 1 county). but that's the least important actually..Second, most important, I listen to music through helmet audio, and now I gotta turn the music up louder over the pipes, which is a strain on the ears.. Finally, I read somewhere that on a dyno, slipons with silencers yielded more horsepower than without (again, this is also least important).

So, I'm gonna do some more riding around with the silencers and without, to see what I like better. Bike definitely sounds amazing with the louder pipes...but if I go on an all-ride, I gotta trade in the music for the earplugs.

You wouldn't be able to detect any performance difference with or without I imagine. Slip-ons don't really add to the bikes performance. Put the silencer in and enjoy the music brother. You probably have lightened the load around 30 pounds on the rear and I'm sure it looks a lot better.

I have a full Akrapovic exhaust with dual mufflers. I like the silencers in, and I can't hear the bike over the wind noise above 45mph(with or without earplugs).
I doubt any cop would complain about the R77s being too loud with the baffles out either. They have a nice tone without being excessively loud.:beerchug:

go with what you like, the bike has more power than you will use anyway :laugh:

The one thing to check though before leaving out the silencers, make sure you know what the local rules are for how loud in DB your exhaust can be. I know many local areas that have passed laws with limits to cut down on bikes, generally the HD's with their redonkulously loud pipes but still worth checking into. Would suck for someone to sideline your fun locally because of some ordinance you didnt even know about :banghead:

On my Gen1 with a full dual HMF exhaust tuned on a SuperFlow Dyno the HMF Quiet core inserts made less than 1 hp difference at 10500 rpm while giving a full 6 dbl drop at idle measure at 3 feet at a 45 degree angle to the exhaust outside on my sound meter. That's a 50% volume reduction at idle for less than a HP at max RPM.

cheers
ken

Who cares? They take 5 minutes to install / remove. Do what makes you happy.

I thought my yosh 4 into 1 with RS3 can was kinda mellow untill on top opened up it had a nice growl.I like it loud so brocks is for me.

On my Gen1 with a full dual HMF exhaust tuned on a SuperFlow Dyno the HMF Quiet core inserts made less than 1 hp difference at 10500 rpm while giving a full 6 dbl drop at idle measure at 3 feet at a 45 degree angle to the exhaust outside on my sound meter. That's a 50% volume reduction at idle for less than a HP at max RPM.

cheers
ken
You mean to say you were willing to give up one whole horsepower? Unbelievable!

(I love it when someone actually performs an intelligent test and posts the results! :bowdown:)

i left mine out (R-77) and they sound great! it's all about preference and nothing more as stated above. :thumbsup:

Back