Died on me while in motion?

Sithor

Registered
Well I just bought my '04 'Busa used over a week ago. I have put 600 miles on it and I bought it with 3,600 miles. Well here is the deal, if I start it and don't tend the throttle, the bike will die. Yesterday I started it up and took off on it. It was a warm day, didn't feel the need to let it warm up. Well I came up on a stop light and pulled in the clutch, as I was coasting the thing died on me.

While I was still coasting I kept trying to start it. It just kept cranking. I then fully stopped at the light and still kept cranking it. It took me like 6 times and then it finally started. After that it rode great. The fast idle switch is missing cause the previous owner took if off the put some handle bar risers on it and the cable didn't reach. He gave me the part but I haven't put it on yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does the bike usually have to be cranked that much sometimes?

Mine did that to me once... except it did it when it was very hot out and the bike was in stop and go traffic~ The fan was damn near running non-stop at the time, so I just wrote it off as an over heating problem.. never did it to me again~
In your case, it just may be your idle setting.. that caused it to stall out while cruising to a stop~ Not sure how or why this whould make it so hard to re-fire~ Then again... I'm not all that mechanicly inclined~ I just use what I've learned along the way~ Beings that it is a new bike to you.. although used.. I would go a head and change out the plugs, run some injector cleaner through the system, and prolly even change/clean the air filter~ Not to say this would definitly eliminate your problem, but just for ease of mind, if for no other reason~
I'm sure someone much more knowledgable then myself will reply soon enough..
wink.gif

Mine got to where is was doing that a lot, even warmed up. I checked the owner's manual and saw that the idle was suppose to be around 1100 rpm's, mine was idling at about 900, I increased the idle, and no more dieing.

Kev

I've 20k on my '03 and find that as the throttle bodies work their way out of sync, starting and cold-idling are a challenge.  I suspect this is contributing to your problem.  When it happens I'm usually able to restart the bike before I've coasted to a stop.

Get the "choke" lever fixed.  Using it until the bike has warmed up a bit will help prevent your stalling.
As a work-around, try turning up the idle a little.

Be careful, a stalling problem can be dangerous.

I've 20k on my '03 and find that as the throttle bodies work their way out of sync, starting and cold-idling are a challenge.  I suspect this is contributing to your problem.  When it happens I'm usually able to restart the bike before I've coasted to a stop.

Get the "choke" lever fixed.  Using it until the bike has warmed up a bit will help prevent your stalling.
As a work-around, try turning up the idle a little.

Be careful, a stalling problem can be dangerous.
Also increase your idle to 1100 rpm's and that will surely cure the problem

I had this problem and it was easily cured by adjusting the idle a bit higher. As for the cable problem, you'll need to re-route the cable to go between the two allen screws that hold the gas tank down. That should give you the room you need to put the fast idle back on.

I had this problem of my busa stalling when coming down from a quick run, what I would try is to adjust the idle setting to around 1100. The dealership sets up the idle around 900 to keep the heat down. But I have put engine ice in (to bring down the temp) & adjusted my idle to 1100 and had no more problems!

Just my .02 cents, hope it helps!
smile.gif

My idle sits about about 12k, the busa seems to like it fast?

No the handle bar risers are gone. So I can put the cable back on with no problem. I just haven't take the time to do it yet. Anyways, I did purchase some of the Engine Ice, stuff is pricey. So should I flush the old coolant and if I do, how do I get it all out? Thanks for everyone's help so far.

yup..its the low idle..i have a 04 also. same thing happened to my bike..brought it up 1100 and it was all good.

Back