Dial Faces - which colors match best?

G

mike, i put the blue faces on my 00 blue busa and they match very well i mite try a set of white faces dont no yet.

ray knecum

Todd can you send me a white tach and a blue speedo. PLEASE :)

Who is your Buddy? Who is your Pal?

PLEASE, PLEASE!

(Secret approach to getting special parts, BEG LIKE A DOG.....WOOF! WOOF!) :)

With the way this week has been going TODD is probably a CAT person.......WOOF!....

I do have four cats but there's also a Weim in my back yard. :) I don't have any blue faces - just wouldn't be prudent on a red Busa. I have the white gauges that I spoke of above but I would have to check with Erik and clear that with him. Have you spoken to Erik/Mototeck about a mixed color request? He is very accomodating and may be able to help.

Y'all can see the yellow faces installed on my black bike, plus some Bagster and FSMD detail shots, on the labusas site in my new thread titled "Yellow dials, Bagster and FSMD."

Again, thanks Todd.

For those installing Mototeck dials, be VERY sure to hold the dial needles tight to the stop pin as you lever up the needle. If you don't, your instrument will lose its zero point and it's not easy to get back.

I had a hard time deciding between the yellow and the white. My bike is black. Finally went with the white. A better choice for me since I won't have any other gold or yellow on it, as DP's bike does.If I do anything with my wheels, I'll probably polish them, like on my last bike. Not convinced that it's the way to go on a Busa, though. I've always loved the white faced dials since I first saw them on some of the Brit-bikes of the 50s and 60s. Remember the old Smiths instruments? Very elegant, and the needle moved across the dial one notch at a time, much like the second hands on some watches. Some of the classic cars' instruments also looked like that.
It's probably only been about 3 weeks since I ordered them, but it seems like 3 months. Erik, are you listening?

DP,I ordered a Bagster tank cover today. black/gray not in stock, only all black. I'll check it out. Backorders take a couple of months. What bags for it have you used/seen and liked?

Slowhand I probably would have gone with the straight black cover if it had existed back when I bought mine. Not that I don't love my two tone or anything.

I agree white is elegant and practical. I don't remember any Smith's instruments on my English bikes, although they were definitely there when I bought the bikes. I used to just strip eveything off my bikes that didn't make them go. Everything.

There's a full range of Bagster tank bags, all of which clip onto the tank cover. You can see them on the bagster.com site. I went with the smaller one...15 liters I think. It's got a pointy butt.

Haven't even used it yet. I don't go anyhere, I just go fast.

Which color face plates have you installed on your Busa's.

Copper - ?

Black - ?

Red - ?

Blue - ?

Which color faces look best on which color bike?

Very subjective question. There are some colors which are such bad matches that it should be obvious - like blue faces on a red bike. I've tried the red on the red 2000 and it looks very good. Now I'm trying the white and they look good too. I'm going to try yellow next but probably not for a few weeks so I can't say for sure how they will look on red. DP is installing yellow on his black 99' so we'll find out soon how it looks. I haven't heard from any copper 99' owners yet.

Well - I have some [red/white]that would be considered "flawed". They were early production "rejects" that ended up with slight glue like substance on the face due to the plastic protective shipping cover that was used initially. You don't really notice the residue that was left behind after removing the cover until you hold the face at certain angles to the light were they show up looking light faint water spots. That whole batch (several hundred) was rejected. Then I have a red set where the red zone on the tach is too thin and the entire red zone blazes. That one is kind of neat and unusual and I may hang on to it. It was actually a demo/pre production model that was sent accidently. None of these were intended for sale to the public and I would have to speak with Erik before doing anything with them. They couldn't be sold for full price and anything they were sold for should be returned to him. (Erik)

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 25 February 2000).]

I ALMOST tried a white tach with a red speedo last night but decided to see what both looked like in white for a while. Erik might be willing to sell just the tach?

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 25 February 2000).]

I'm putting the yellows for very practical reasons. Black on yellow provides the highest level possible of optical contrast for the human eye. That's why highway caution signs generally use that color combo.

The fact that yellow also suits my bike's overall black and gold motif is a happy co-incidence.

I would have gone yellow no matter what color my bike was for the high speed glance-down-and-read advantage.

Those stock gauge faces are lousy for contrast aren't they?

When are we getting Heads Up Display in our visors like crappy Pontiacs have had on their windshields for years?!

KA, I'm glad you recommended the alpha. The sales guy said that's the big seller, and he thinks it's the best. He's sending me one for approval.

DP, on my day rides I probably won't use the tank bag. The problem comes when a couple of us hook up with some local "hotshoes" for a trip to the Angeles Crest. It's usually a 3 day trip of about 1200 miles, and we don't stay at the same place on consecutive nights. That means that we must carry all of our gear on the bikes at all times. We do this 3 or 4 times a year. They also ride to Laguna Seca each year, and we may go with them this year. Carrying capacity is a must for those trips, but it can't come at the expense of handling, 'cause those guys fly.

Back